My freaking SqueezeBox will not stay on

Folsom

My freaking SqueezeBox will not stay on
« on: 5 Jan 2008, 03:32 am »
I went as far as to give out static IPs. Nothing works. I have updated my computer in all ways.

The thing will stay on only for a little while. One it was turned off then came back on, but did not stay playing. Before it started doing this business it kept stopping songs for no reason.

This is getting really old.

Rasta

Re: My freaking SqueezeBox will not stay on
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2008, 03:36 am »
Test it with a hard wire network connection if you have some cat5 lying around.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2008, 03:50 am »
Lets starts with the basics:

Computer IP address:
Squeezebox IP address:
Cable Modem/DSL address:
Other routers IP address:
Other computers IP address:

meby

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2008, 03:57 am »
Maybe it got screwed up when you modified it?

Rasta

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2008, 04:05 am »
Maybe it got screwed up when you were listening to in the bathtub?   :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2008, 04:14 am »
Maybe it got screwed up when you modified it?

Hey!

That's a big possibility DoS :roll:

This type of component is very sensitive even just static charge could screw up those tiny chips inside.  :icon_lol: You have to be very very careful.

Anyway, good luck.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jholtz

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2008, 04:38 am »
I went as far as to give out static IPs. Nothing works. I have updated my computer in all ways.

The thing will stay on only for a little while. One it was turned off then came back on, but did not stay playing. Before it started doing this business it kept stopping songs for no reason.

This is getting really old.

Try the following hardware resets and see if it helps:

Here are the processes to do hardware resets:

Perform these after disconnecting the power and while powering the SB up.

1. Hold down the brightness key causes a firmware update.

2. Holding ADD while powering on resets to the factory default settings.

3. Holding down the power button -> full hardware reboot

4. press 1 during reset or power on -> re-flash xilinx cpld (io ports)

Obviously, reflashing the firmware won't help but the other may. I've had to re-flash xilinx cpld (io ports) on my SB2 more than once. It cures many ills.

Good luck!

Jim

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2008, 04:54 am »
The io ports sounds like a good idea.

My modifications did not do anything with the power supply or wireless card.

It seems to loose connection to the slimserver. The other thing I am wondering about is heat, do these things usually get pretty warm? Thermal protective circuit would make a lot of sense. The question is what the hell would be triggering it, or making the unit get any warmer than usually, that makes no sense!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2008, 05:04 am »
The other thing I am wondering about is heat, do these things usually get pretty warm?

I have a Bolder modded SB 3 and a Bolder modded Elpac power supply.

My SB 3 runs 24/7 most of the time, and no, it doesn't get very warm at all.

Cheers

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2008, 05:33 am »
Mine was more than room temperature everytime it quit and I checked inside of it.

I just did the hold 1 thing, it did not show me anything but did not turn on.

It seems to work again every time it cools down or something.   

Knowing the only thing I changed in my setup is my amplifier (ok that is lot but) and that it is lucky to draw 5amps on a good day when it is going to blow out probably anyways. However if I was getting weak voltage or current and one or the other tried to make up for it, on the Squeezebox, due to poor power, well that causes heat, we all know it. I plugged my Squeezebox into another socket across the room and ran an extension cord.

One other thing I noticed is it quits faster if the volume was up. Now the Squeezebox is not going to change in power consumption enough to ever notice, but an amplifier will.

I think this might of been the problem, not enough power out of the one socket. However it is quiet silly because 15amps should be more than I could possibly use. I do have two class D subwoofer amplifiers that are tiny, but still. I think it is the piss poor wiring in the house I live in. I am a renter and yes I could ask my land lord to do something about it but he would try to fix it himself. He knows nothing about electricity except how to get shocked I am sure. I know a fair amount but lack the tools. I might have to borrow some, and trace down what all is on my circuit breaker, and start swapping some stuff to get a dedicated breaker for my outlet. I might also be able to achieve getting an earth ground, that would be swell. I did make my landlord put in a high grade AC receptacle but he somehow failed to get the earth ground working.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2008, 05:58 am »
Well it turned off again. I am not sure that the socket that it was plugged into is on a different breaker.

It is sort of warm right in the center on the screen side.

Could this be an impedance problem?

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2008, 06:23 am »
Well I was talking to someone else, and there is a conclusion that possibly my Wall-Wart power supply is going on me. I guess if the voltage is dropping then the LCD would for sure heat up and the other components in the back, all the processing power.

I suppose it could be this or the fact that the circuit breaker is not enough. 

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2008, 06:47 am »
Ok so I tried turning off my two subwoofer amplifiers, and listening. It did not start to get warm, but then while I was listening to something and wanted to switch to something else, and it had already turned black, but was still playing from the buffer, then it said trying to connect to network.

I am starting to believe that it is a power issue. There is no other reason for it to get warm even except this. However because it turned off before the unit seemed to get warm, or rather I had some volume going, but with subwoofers off, I am worried the damage is done. Funny because I do not have the money to replace my Squeezebox which means I will be musicless for a couple months or more unless the power supply I am getting (for free, because a friend has one I can try) works out and my squeezebox is not dead. I suppose it is a possibility that it just overheated faster this time before it had a chance to accumulate much that I could feel via the outside.

I am not going to sleep tonight.

jholtz

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jan 2008, 02:38 pm »
Try restarting your router by unplugging it from the power source for a few minutes and then plug it back in to the wall or power strip depending on what you're using. You may be experiencing network issues rather than Squeezebox problems. Note that a Squeezebox never really turns off when you press the power button on the remote. The display does what ever you have the Slimserver software set to do. Check your software settings and the network as part of your troubleshooting process.

Also, make sure the network card in the Squezebox is securely seated since you've been inside the unit.

After it shuts off, do you have to go back through the process of finding the server etc. when it starts back up?

Jim

jermmd

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jan 2008, 03:27 pm »
I haven't read this whole thread so excuse me if my comments are not helpful.

I had a problem with my original SB3 that was similar. It kept shutting down. I tried everything I could think of and also posted the problem on various forums. I called Slimdevices support and they were very helpful but unable to fix the problem. Ultimateley I returned the unit and got a new one that worked flawlessly.

Despite my experience, the most likely source of the problem is on your music server/computer source. Make sure there is no firewall or virus protection blocking the SB. Did you recently change computers or add software that might be causing the problem? Try putting some music on another computer and designate the new computer as the source. Does it now work? Finally, if you are using a router, check the settings and see if it is blocking traffic to the SB.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jan 2008, 05:53 pm »
I suppose there is a very small possibility that it is the router. I am pretty worried about the warm heat though. I mean it does not seem like enough to warrant a heatsink on anything inside even but that scares me a little.

The card is securely seated, I checked on that.

Yeah I have to go through the process of finding the server etc for it to work, even though it knows what it is suppose to connect too.

The only thing running on my computer is AVG free virus scan, I double checked all possibility of a firewall and it is off and if it was on it has the ports open for a Squeezebox (windows firewall).

I can make another computer the source, but what makes me wonder if the fact that at low volumes it played extensively longer amounts of time.

Greg Erskine

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jan 2008, 09:41 pm »
Hi Destroyer of Smiles,

The Squeeze Boxes do get quite warm, but there should be no problem running them all day.

I use AVG free version and have never had it cause problems and I have tried SlimServer/SqueezeCentre on 4 different PCs.

I recently experimented with a old slow laptop as a SqueezeCentre server. This laptop had XP on it with all the power saving features enabled and would take 5 minutes to boot. Also it had a wireless network card and an external USB 1.1 drive for my WAV files. Well I thought I was pushing my luck....and I was....this setup ran like a hairy dog. I displayed all the problems described in the Slim Devices forums. Tracks starting then stopping then continuing, tracks restarting, unresponsive remote and at times everything would go to "la la" land. The wireless card added another wireless hop, and would change signal strength continually and on the odd occassion, try to attach to another wireless network. This caused a lot of random problems.

On the other 3 setups it has always worked properly.

To test the SB, I would plug it directly into the SlimServer PC using a "twisted" ethernet patch cable, "not" the normal cable you would use to patch to the router. This should sidestep most networking issues and prove if the SB is behaving itself. I assume SlimServer is running properly?

If you are still having problems, I would reverse your output cap mod and see if that is causing a problem.

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jan 2008, 10:30 pm »
I highly doubt the capacitor mod did it. Plus reversing it would mean finding the surface mount jokes.

I am not sure without an inside schematic of the DAC, but I believe the only possible influence my modification could have is on the analog side of the DAC which is fed by separate power from the digital side. However in the Squeezebox this might be part of the major power section. I have a hard time believing this could have any effect. The only way it could is if the impedance situation was causing a load on my Squeezebox, from my new amplifier. Peter Daniels once told me the stock kits of his should be fine with a Squeezebox (mine is a hybrid of Caddock, Riken, like his kit but still has two lower level resistors I have not replaced because I ordered the wrong ones on accident). That makes it hard to believe, again, that my mod had something to do with it. The only real possibility would be if somehow the DAC got heated up too much, which I do not find entirely too likely (I doubt I have ever held my soldering iron to anything inside the squeezebox for maybe 10 second at the most, at a stretch, I am way to scared of holding it too long). If it did well I have a KE version on the way anyhow. Plus I think a DAC that got overheated would probably be a dead one anyways.

I did have the unit stop and start again once like you describe. I might have a patch network cable, I think it runs from my modem to router. I suppose I could attempt this to see if it will change anything. I would rather not run a hardwire but if I had too I guess I could.

Slimserver seems to run fine.

I might mess with the router, well, see if a good reset helps it.

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 5 Jan 2008, 10:48 pm »
I went upstairs to look at my router, apparently someone put a bean bag over it. That might of been the issue and I could smell the heat. I will know after I download new drivers for my laptops wireless and try it all over again.