X-3s are here

mrotino332

Re: X-3s are here
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2019, 03:37 pm »
Shakey, I believe you had previously owned several Green Mountain audio speakers and preferred the X3?  Can you comment on the differences in sound quality between the two brands?  I've owned several Green Mountain audio speakers, currently the EOS HX monitor with two REL subs in stereo and am contemplating the X3.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I've always enjoyed the Green Mountain audio sound for it's purity, vocal reproduction, speed and soundstaging as well as being easy to drive.  Most likely due to the first order crossover and stone cabinet.

bbybaudio

« Reply #21 on: 5 Nov 2019, 07:28 pm »
For those asking for additional follow up on the X5s here it is. For reference, speakers I have had in my system are B&W, Maggies and Silverline. I have also been listening to my buddies NOLAs (12 inch woofer in box) with OB tweeter and midrange with all tubes driving) excellent and what drove me to look for a new set of speakers. As with Shakey, I have not heard realism and accurate pitch tone like this before. I get a better sense of front to back and side to side placement of musicians, voices as well. Soundstage in my setup does not go very far side to side beyond speakers. I have dialed back the subwoofer a few notches. Bass remains the best I have heard. Dynamics are spectacular. The cannons on Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture are amazing and room shaking if you have the volume turned up. I believe at 160 hrs I can still here improvements, notably in the massive 22 lb subwoofers. I am happy with the X5s in my 22.5 X 15.5 X 9 room as the AMT is closer to ear height, although some have argued that this is not as important with OB speakers. Dynamics are spectacular. The cannons on Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture are amazing and room shaking if you have the volume turned up. Most music I can still listen to at lower volume levels with great enjoyment. However, these speakers are amazing with the volume turned up. If the M3s and M5s are in this same musical ballpark, there are going to be a lot of happy campers out there! Enjoy.

bbybaudio

« Reply #22 on: 5 Nov 2019, 08:46 pm »
Sorry about the repeated sentences. Too many things going on!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #23 on: 6 Nov 2019, 02:11 pm »
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2019, 01:14 am by Tomy2Tone »

Shredder

« Reply #24 on: 6 Nov 2019, 03:10 pm »
Excellent review. Thanks.

bbybaudio

« Reply #25 on: 6 Nov 2019, 03:38 pm »
Great X3 review. I agree with the writer that you need to be patient to get speaker placement right, but when you do it is amazing!

HanaEyes

« Reply #26 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:51 am »
Drools!!

RonN5

« Reply #27 on: 11 Nov 2019, 06:13 pm »
Got an email with this.

https://tweekgeek.blogspot.com/2019/10/spatial-audio-x3-open-baffle.html?goal=0_be71e688a8-347a083d1b-94729289&mc_cid=347a083d1b&mc_eid=3f1fd96954

If you click on the link at the top of the review blog, you will see that it takes you to   https://www.tweekgeek.com/

It appears that the author is an on line dealer for a lot of audio products including Spatial Audio.  This is not to say that the review is not valid...just that readers should be aware of the situation.  And, to be clear, while I haven't heard the current M and X series, I did hear the M3's two years ago and they were excellent and I'm sure the new offerings are even better.

hallcon83

« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2019, 09:29 pm »
Hello , does anyone know what the minimum amount of watts needed to operate the X3 speakers? I have  2 watt and  4 watt amplifier tube amplifiers -  :D  Thank you!

Shakeydeal

« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2019, 11:48 pm »
Hello , does anyone know what the minimum amount of watts needed to operate the X3 speakers? I have  2 watt and  4 watt amplifier tube amplifiers -  :D  Thank you!

It’s my opinion that you don’t have enough power.

Shakey

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #30 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:11 am »
Actually the load for a low power tube amp should be a lot more friendly because all of the bass is self powered, leaving the tube amp to drive only the mid/tweeter section. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #31 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:20 am »
If you click on the link at the top of the review blog, you will see that it takes you to   https://www.tweekgeek.com/

It appears that the author is an on line dealer for a lot of audio products including Spatial Audio.  This is not to say that the review is not valid...just that readers should be aware of the situation.  And, to be clear, while I haven't heard the current M and X series, I did hear the M3's two years ago and they were excellent and I'm sure the new offerings are even better.

My apologies. I probably wouldn’t have posted this review if I knew Mike at Tweek Geek was a dealer for Spatial. I was always under the impression Clayton sold his speakers direct.

JackD

« Reply #32 on: 14 Nov 2019, 01:31 am »
Looks like Mike is just another order taker and not an actual stocking dealer other than his own personal pair. Fritz has several dealers around the country doing the same thing.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #33 on: 14 Nov 2019, 11:32 am »
Shakey, I believe you had previously owned several Green Mountain audio speakers and preferred the X3?  Can you comment on the differences in sound quality between the two brands?  I've owned several Green Mountain audio speakers, currently the EOS HX monitor with two REL subs in stereo and am contemplating the X3.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I've always enjoyed the Green Mountain audio sound for it's purity, vocal reproduction, speed and soundstaging as well as being easy to drive.  Most likely due to the first order crossover and stone cabinet.

I apologize, but I just saw this post today.

It has been many years since I owned GMA speakers. I first had the Imago II, then the Callisto + sub, and lastly the Continuum 3 HR. I enjoyed all of them very much and had sellers remorse for a  while when the C3s were gone.

Since there have been many (MANY!) speakers through my room since then, it's impossible to do a direct comparison. I would say the C3 and the X3 have a similar huge presentation and just plain ole BIG sound. I think the midrange performance of the X3 is better from what I recall. And I can certainly say that although the C3 could dig deep, it (nor any speaker since) did not have the accurate bass performance of the X3. Nor did it have the excellent midbass to bass transition of the X3.

That said, if you like time coherent speakers like the GMA line, you will certainly like the X3. I can't speak for any of Clayton's other offerings since this is my first pair

Shakey

Shakeydeal

« Reply #34 on: 14 Nov 2019, 12:45 pm »
Actually the load for a low power tube amp should be a lot more friendly because all of the bass is self powered, leaving the tube amp to drive only the mid/tweeter section.

As you well know already, a lot depends on the size of the room you have to fill and your listening habits. A 25 watt Decware amp should have been plenty to power the mid/tweets, but I found that it was not. I have a large dedicated room and tend to listen pretty loud. The guy I sold the amp too was very happy with it, as was I when it was driving horns. It didn't have the juice to drive the X3s.

Of course not all amps are created equal and it could have been that the decware PS and transformers are lacking. I don't know.

Shakey

bbybaudio

« Reply #35 on: 15 Nov 2019, 03:49 pm »
Has anyone tried spikes on the X3s or X5s? My X5s are on carpet so guessing that something like the Trackaudio spikes might improve sound. I note that for the M3s at CAF Clayton had them up on Stillpoints.

bbybaudio

« Reply #36 on: 18 Nov 2019, 02:44 pm »
By floor spikes, I mean substantially larger than the ones that come with the speakers. Dialed in further to where wife and I were amazed listening to music through the X5s last night!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #37 on: 18 Nov 2019, 06:20 pm »
Has anyone tried spikes on the X3s or X5s? My X5s are on carpet so guessing that something like the Trackaudio spikes might improve sound. I note that for the M3s at CAF Clayton had them up on Stillpoints.

The Track Audio Spikes worked very well for me. Previously decoupling speaker from floor. Not any more. :thumb:

charles

Shakeydeal

« Reply #38 on: 18 Nov 2019, 06:47 pm »
Those spikes certainly look nice. What improvements did you hear over the stock ones?

Shakey

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #39 on: 18 Nov 2019, 06:51 pm »
  Tighter and more focused sound overall. Bass clarity and imaging improved as well. I found the decoupling brighter and hard.

charles