Inspire audio equipment

straitwire

• Industry Participant
Inspire audio equipment
« on: 22 Sep 2020, 01:34 am »
Hello everyone, I build Inspire audio equipment.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Inspire audio equipment
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2020, 09:20 am »
Welcome do you mean say the Inspire Dennis Had amps ?

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 2 Oct 2020, 04:33 pm »
Hello FullRangeMan sorry it took so long to reply.
 Yes I work with Dennis Had building Preamps, Headphone amps and occasionally amps.
 Started working for him at Cary Audio Design back in the 90's...good times!...

MatterG56

« Reply #3 on: 2 Oct 2020, 07:37 pm »
That's actually really cool, how long does each take just out of curiosity?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2020, 08:12 pm »
Nice have you here bro, do you could confirm the Inspire OPTs are Trancendar?

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2020, 08:56 pm »
That would be something that I can't talk about.
I can say that our transformers are hand built in small batches.
And that our transformers are built to Dennis's specs.
Dennis evaluated lots of transformers before he decided to go with this manufacturer.
I'll check with Dennis and see if it's ok to talk about this sorta thing.
But having said that, transformers are only part of the recipe.
Circuit design and topology (power supply, input and output circuits) and component choice (resistors, capacitors, wire) are just as important.
Also Dennis never stops experimenting and improving his designs.
I have to run to keep up with him, and my personal Inspire amps and preamps have been rebuilt completely several times and modified more times than I can count in order to stay current
so that we have the same sound and can talk about what we're hearing.

WOW!  once you get me started I just can't shut up... :roll:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2020, 09:08 pm »
Thanks you most kind.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2020, 12:51 am »
Hi and welcome to audiocircle, straitwire!

It's great to have you (and Dennis) at audiocircle. You have a lot of fans and customers here. I hope you can stick around!

From a friend of Sol and a former SLI-80 owner  :thumb:

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2020, 01:34 pm »
Hey FullRangeMan, I will try to answer as many questions as I can and keep you guys up to date on our plans and offerings.

Hey Richidoo, thanks for the warm welcome, and tell Sol hello for me and that I hope all is well with him.
 Of all the memories I have of Cary Audio Design, working with Sol is one of the high points.
 He's a really nice guy and smart as a whip.

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2020, 02:07 pm »
Hey MatterG56, depending on the unit it can take 4-6 hours for a one output tube per channel stereo unit and longer for a parallel output tube stereo unit
 and of course even longer for a pair of monoblocs.
 The headphone amps are the same circuit that they have been since there original design
 so building them takes less time because I have built so many that it's practically muscle memory now.
 I have built a lot of preamps so they take less time than they used to but we are about to start building a new preamp design with a different circuit and layout.
 If I cut a chassis (design the layout, cut holes and get it powder coated) instead of using a chassis that is manufactured for us in quantity, it can take a lot longer.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2020, 02:31 pm »
Welcome straitwire.  :D

In my thinking, it is not so much the individual parts, but the sound that matters.

After buying (all new) a Sweet 807 (and selling it wanting current tube rolling options), an SEP universal (and selling it wanting to try a triode :duh: ), and a SET universal (and selling it  :duh: ), I can say Dennis' amps are all very good with a little different flavor for each.

When I received the Sweet 807 I also just purchased a pair of Omega 3i speakers and started to let them run in listening to familiar music. I heard distortion that I never noticed before and communicated with Dennis a few times. He suggested listening with HPs to check if it was the recording, well all I had was an inexpensive pair of Senns. Sure enough I was hearing something in the recording that I never noticed before.

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2020, 03:30 pm »
Hey opnly bafld, you are absolutely right, the sound is really what matters in the end, and the circuit design/topology is the most important part in determining the overall sound.
 What I should have said is that it is critical to choose parts that experience has proven to be sonically appropriate for the sound that you are trying to achieve
  and that are reliable and durable enough to stand the test of time.
 And that using parts that are overbuilt and/or under stressed in the circuit is critical to the amps longevity as well as the overall sound quality too.
 But different makes of resistors, capacitors, electrolytics, transformers and other parts do have an impact on the sound also.
 It is hard to express that our amp and preamp designs are "evolving" or getting "better" without seeming to disparage older circuit designs.
 I should choose different words to express this.
 As you indicated different amps have different flavors, and Dennis has produced all kinds of different amps/circuits.
 In fact when customers choose to send in units that are several years old to be updated to the latest circuits
 Dennis is always excited to take them home and give them a listen before making the updates.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2020, 04:00 pm »
Nice post.
I think most understand that as products change it doesn't mean the older version was bad and sometimes the older version is still preferred by some.

Some years ago I bought a new version* of a well known speaker brand and never warmed up to the sound. Ended up getting an older pair (2 models down) and absolutely loved them.

*the drivers have been changed again and now they sound superb to me

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2020, 05:25 pm »
   Welcome aboard. I have an Inspire [5] tube 4W/ch EL34 output Signed by Dennis on bottom. Does Dennis do that for every amp ?

charles

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 4 Oct 2020, 12:33 pm »
Hey rollo, yes he does sign every amp.

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2020, 06:42 pm »
Red CJ5...
This is our new preamp.
Ready for the test bench, then faceplate and knobs.
It uses 6C5 and 6J5 tubes with a 5Y3 or 5u4 rectifier.

datman

« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2020, 08:27 pm »
I think this one is mine. I ordered it to go with my 6FLV DJH Edition amp.

My 6FLV  amp is amazing. It has eliminated my desire for a DHT amp. I am running Bendix 6992 tubes with a Pope 6SN7 and RCA 5U4G. The only word I can use to describe the sound is ethereal. It is better than my KT88 PP amp, especially at the extremes.

Paul Klipsch used to say what the world needs is a good 5 watt amp. This is definitely it.

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2020, 09:17 pm »
Hey datman, I believe you are correct, this probably is your preamp.
  I've updated the circuit on my amp to the 6FLV and I'm very happy with it, I'm running metal RCA 6F6's right now.
  I do a function test on the preamps and headphone amps I build so Dennis doesn't have any issues on the test bench.
  So I listened to it for a little while and...hmmmm...I think I'm gonna to have to build one for myself.

straitwire

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2020, 03:34 pm »
Finally finished my CJ5, put my own knobs on it.
 I'll probably leave it as is without a faceplate, I like the prototype look... :wink:
 Gonna dig up one of my old DIY remote volume kits for it.
 Sounds great with the amp I updated to the 6FLV circuit.
 These metal 6L6's are really nice.

« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2021, 03:04 am by straitwire »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2020, 03:41 pm »

These knobs look good :thumb:
Congratulations