ModWright Phono progress and update....

modwright

ModWright Phono progress and update....
« on: 2 Sep 2006, 03:56 pm »
Hi guys, the phono stage IS making progress and I am pleased to announce that we are very close to ordering new chassis and faceplates, meaning that the circuit design is nearly complete.

* Current design includes a max MC gain of 72dB with a frequency response of 20Hz-50Khz (1.5dB down at 50Khz).
* Cartridge loading is done by internal dip switches, allowing for variable resistance loading for MC, a 47K load for MC and switchable 100pf cap loading.
* I am finallizing a variable gain setting for MC and also the MM/MC switching.
* Outboard PS design is complete, with power switching from preamp via power relays and increased B+.
* Umbilical is a 10-pin design with Amphenol connectors - MIL spec. with superior mechanical contacts.
* Tube Complement: (2)6C45 w/shields, (2)6N1P's (compatible with 7308, 6922, and possibly 6H30 types also), (2)5687's.
* Improved LS circuit with constant current sources and increased B+ for better detail/dynamics.

I am planning to add a mono switch and we are working on a new remote.

The new remote, when available will be standard issue for SWL 9.0SE, SWLP9.0SE and all future designs.

We will be showing at RMAF with the final design SWLP9.0SE and hopefully the SWP 9.0SE (standalone phono box).  I am still shooting for October to be shipping units.  The machining of final chassis and faceplate design may be the only thing holding this up.

Thanks for your patience, those who are eagerly awaiting the Beta testing and final production phase.  And, once again, any comments, suggestions and feedback are welcome and encouraged.

Take care,

Dan W.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: ModWright Phono progress and update....
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2006, 04:18 pm »
Hello Dan,
 I am quite sure beta testers as well as consumers will find the wait worth it. It's better to wait till you have a product 100% where you want it than to release premature and have to make any major changes down the road.
 The mono switch is a nice touch as well as the new, dedicated remote.

Inquiring ears, as well as my turntable patiently await your release.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2006, 04:23 pm »
Sounds like a neat design.

mtodde

« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2006, 09:27 pm »
Thanks for the update Dan.  I am really looking forward to this...and am particularly excited to hear the mono switch is still likely.

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2006, 04:00 pm »
Thanks guys, I have a strong personal interest in this one too as I really enjoy vinyl.  I want it to be the best possible design that it can be.

Take care,

Dan

gostan

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2006, 07:50 pm »
Well, I have waited this long. 

So, I should keep using my MF XLP-S and hold off on upgrading to a Eastern Electric Minimax or Cary PH-302.

Bring it on! :thumb:

gostan

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2006, 10:23 am »
Dan,

Any pricing yet?

Stan

modwright

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2006, 05:40 pm »
Sorry for the tardy reply.  Pricing is set to be as follows:

SWP 9.0SE (standalone phono) = $2895.
SWLP 9.0SE preamp w/phono and exteranl supply = $3995.

You may certainly buy the Eastern Electric or Cary, but neither will be able to compete with our new phono.

I have been testing it lately with both a Sota Cosmos w/SME V arm and Shelter 901

AND

VPI Scout with heavyweight clamp, upgraded motor and speed controller and Dynavector 10x5 cart.

Pretty much good quality entry level rig ($3200 complete) vs. Class A rig ($12K complete) and it sounds fantastic on both.  In fact, the VPI rig performs so well, I am convinced that very good vinyl playback can be achieved without spending mega-bucks.

While the SOTA is better in various ways, the difference is NOT that extreme.  I would recommend anyone looking to get into vinyl without an endless budget, to seriously consider the VPI scout with upgrades listed above.

The Dynavector cart is a high-output 2.5mV MC and the Shelter is a low-output .5mV MC.  I was able to use both rigs with our SWLP 9.0SE unit without adjusting overall phono gain.  The unit has a volume control of course, so I did adjust volume levels for the two different rigs, but both worked extremely well.

We are getting very close and I AM satisfied with the circuit now.  It is only a matter of finallizing the ergonomics of switch layout and final chassis design.

We will also be making available to existing SWL 9.0SE owners, the ability to have phono added to their units; i.e. to convert to a SWLP 9.0SE unit.  The price will be $1800 + shipping and this will only be available for a 6-12 month period.  Please contact your local dealer about this upgrade option when the SWP and SWLP units are available for final production.  I am expecting to be shipping on or about the end of Oct.

Beta testers CONTACT ME NOW!!!

Thanks,

Dan W.