Interconnects: your best choice ?

mistral

« on: 17 Mar 2006, 09:41 pm »
I have a Modwright SWL 9.0SE, connected to a pair of Nuforce 9.

My speakers are Dynaudio S5.4

Between my CDP and my preamp, I have Tara Labs RSC 1 cables

If you had to pick up interconnects between the amp and the preamp, which model would you choose ?

kfr01

« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2006, 10:09 pm »
bluejeanscables.com or diycable.com

Go high value.

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2006, 10:10 pm »
Agreed.  Something of quality without breaking the bank will keep enough in the fund to put toward stuff that matters more.

MaggieFan

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2006, 10:41 pm »
I like Cardas cables myself.  Very neutral.

The new Nordost at the lower prices is also intriguing.

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2006, 11:00 pm »
I run all Blue Jeans interconnects. Inexpensive, well built, good specs from Belden wire, solid connection with Canare RCA rcaps.

Phil

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2006, 12:38 am »
Some folks say that is the most critical IC link.  Grover Huffman's latest ultimate reference (u6.) are very musical and not expensive.  Money back guarantee too.  

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=47670&highlight=Grover+Huffman

mtodde

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2006, 02:21 am »
Quote from: Phil
Some folks say that is the most critical IC link.  Grover Huffman's latest ultimate reference (u6.) are very musical and not expensive.  Money back guarantee too.  

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=47670&highlight=Grover+Huffman

I had a Grover U5 very briefly and was disappointed.  The connecters were VERY cheap and Grover lost track of my order.  Fortunately I sold it to a Hoffmanite that was tired of waiting and even got my shipping cost back.

For $200 per 1 meter pair, and maybe less via their eBay promo auctions, I seriously recommend the Zu Gede.  The Oxyfuel is a nice cable that is half the price, but if you can swing the Gede you won't be disappointed.

Phil

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2006, 05:28 pm »
Mtodde,
sorry the Grovers didn't work out for you.  

As for the quality, the connectors are intentially small, but they grip as well as anything I've had in my system.

As for sound, the new u6. is substantially better than its predecessor.  There has been a jump in the sound quality.  I think the current price is about $150.

Lots of choices out there...

bhobba

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2006, 03:52 am »
Quote from: Jim N.
I run all Blue Jeans interconnects. Inexpensive, well built, good specs from Belden wire, solid connection with Canare RCA rcaps.

Blue Jeans stuff sure looks great vlaue.  However a number of guys I have discussed interconnects with in PM's highly recommend reality cables - not that expensive either.
http://www.realitycables.com/

Thanks
Bill

HChi

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2006, 03:42 pm »
Quote from: Phil
Mtodde,
sorry the Grovers didn't work out for you.  

As for the quality, the connectors are intentially small, but they grip as well as anything I've had in my system.

As for sound, the new u6. is substantially better than its predecessor.  There has been a jump in the sound quality.  I think the current price is about $150.

Lots of choices out there...

I would second that.  I have a both Grover's UR7 and UR6.  I did a quick comparision between UR7 and HT Cyberlight Wave 4V with PowerPack II, which I also have.  The swap was between source and preamp.  In short, Grover's UR7 stays in that position for better synergy delivery.   The new HT PowerPack III claims to deliver 20% more performance, I may possibly give it a try later.  For the time being, I am happy with Grover's UR7 IC.  With its price,  it definitely worths a try before spending mega-buck on ICs. Just my two cents!

Karsten

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2006, 07:38 pm »
The SWL 9.0SE is wired internally with JPS cable, so I guess it would be worth to try.

Karsten

DTB300

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2006, 08:45 pm »
Quote from: Karsten
The SWL 9.0SE is wired internally with JPS cable, so I guess it would be worth to try.

I second the JPS Cables (tried many and settle with the FX Model)...but cables are so system dependent that you need to try different ones to see how they sound.  For another idea, I feel that a good bang for the buck cable is DH Labs.

I run a Modwright modified Sony 999ES player that uses JPS IC's.

Dan

msteindler

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2006, 09:19 pm »
I can heartily recommend Steve Sammet's SAS Audio Labs interconnects; I love 'em.
They portray "space" in a particularly coherent way that struck me from first listen and always help deliver music in a way that is engaging.
In my system, they replaced Soundstrings and RS Cables Silver Illume (both excellent cables).
In my pal's very resolving system, they replaced all his JPS Superconductor IIs which he sold without hesitation. The only thing the JPS has over the SAS to the ears of my friend and the designer of his custom speakers was slightly more power in the bass. There was simply no reason to not switch.

Marvin

rlmacklin

Re: Interconnects: your best choice ?
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2006, 04:27 pm »
I am currently using Grover UR-7 ICs from source (Denon DVD-3910) to Modwright SWL 9.0SE (w/ Bendix 6900 tubes) and Grover UR-7s from Modwright to Odyssey Stratos HT-3 power amp.
Grover UR-8s are now available and I have 2 pairs on order via "upgrade" to start (will likely order more).

I can also highly recommend Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 power cords -
I currently have two of these on Denon source and Modwright linestage -
(in combination with the Grover ICs) results in amazing detail retrieval from CDs/SACDs/DVDs, “holographic” imaging, large 3-D soundstage, "black hole" background, superb dynamics/dynamic range and frequency extension and balance.
I have ordered a 12-foot Violet Z1 for my power amp...