tube rolling for the SWL pre

Chris_B

« on: 14 Dec 2005, 02:11 am »
I was wondering what tubes your guys are using and why.  I just changed out the stock Jan Philips 5687s for a pair of Amperex PQ 7119s.  The Amperex are a little more forward (I think due to higher gain) without being edgy.  Has anyone found tubes that work well in the SWL that are lusher?  I am going to try several types of tubes and rotate them as the mood strikes.

Chris_B

« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2005, 02:45 am »
I have Tung Sol 5687s in my mod'd 999ES.  Maybe I will try a pair in the SWL.

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2005, 03:19 pm »
I've got about 10 types of tubes for my Modwright, including the Amperex 7119 and GE 7044's.  5687's include GE 5-star, Sylvania GB, Raytheon, JAN Philips, Tung Sol, and others I can't remember right now.

The Tung Sols are my favorites but they are more microphonic than some others.  I damped the case and it's very quiet now.  I didn't like tube dampers, as I thought they reduced the life of the unit.

alotaklipsch

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2005, 05:46 pm »
I also like the tungsols for their midrange, but I also like the bendix 6900 for DETAIL, DETAIL, DETAIL.....more SS like, but, tighter bass, mid bass, and more extended highs.  The PW amperex E182CC are ver nice too....

Different flavors baby 8)

jcoat007

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2005, 06:16 pm »
Quote from: tvad4
I've read various threads for a couple of years about folks who've tried tube rolling in Dan Wright's tube stage (in his digital mods), and in the SWL9.0SE, and everyone that I can recall has settled on the Tung Sol cryo'd 5687.

What is a good source for the Tung Sol cryo'd 5687?

Quote from: miklorsmith
I've got about 10 types of tubes for my Modwright, including the Amperex 7119 and GE 7044's.  5687's include GE 5-star, Sylvania GB, Raytheon, JAN Philips, Tung Sol, and others I can't remember right now.

The Tung Sols are my favorites but they are more microphonic than some others.  I damped the case and it's very quiet now.  I didn't like tube dampers, as I thought they reduced the life of the unit.

What did you do to dampen the case?

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2005, 07:03 pm »
I used a combination of Dynamat on the top cover and and Plati-Clay in the case.

I haven't tried the Bendix 6900, as they are a LOT more expensive than all the others.  Though - not terribly expensive considering this hobby.

Ebay is good for Tung Sols, and I think you can get them from Dan as well.  Also, here's a fun site for checking out whatever tube flavors you might like:

http://www.tubeworld.com/index_high_holiday.htm

Cheers!

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2006, 03:04 am »
It's interesting that some owners want to change the sound qualities of the preamp...it sounds so close to faultless that I can't imagine wanting to change anything (has "upgraded Tung Sol" tubes).  

Maybe later after I settle in I'll hear something I want to change, but not now, by any means.  I suppose my triamping minimizes the usefulness of tube swapping, w/ level controls for sub, midbass, midrange, & treble.  

The L-R channel tracking is razor sharp.  I have no idea how Dan does it.  He must reject 9 of 10 of the pots he receives.  I sure don't miss a channel balance control in any way.

This is or may be the most startlingly high-performance piece I've owned, maybe ever heard.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2006, 04:44 am »
Quote from: tvad4
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
It's interesting that some owners want to change the sound qualities of the preamp...it sounds so close to faultless that I can't imagine wanting to change anything (has "upgraded Tung Sol" tubes).

Everyone has their own idea of faultess, and faultless doesn't necessarily translate to music. That's why people roll tubes...and buy and sell equipment so often.

I have settled on Sylvania GB-5687 for the SWL 9.0SE. In fact, I have a pair of Tung Sol 5687 that can be pu ...

Well put.

bearsfan

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2006, 09:50 am »
I, like John, Dan's tech, like the Raytheon 5687 a lot. I also have been using some RCA "blackplate" 5687 tubes that in my humble opinion, are as good if not better than the Tungsols are the RCA's are not nearly so microphonic... :D

pugs

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2006, 06:25 pm »
I will be getting my SWL 9.0SE later this week.  It's coming with NOS Raytheon 5687's.  How do they compare with the cryo'd Tungsols?

Midnite Mick

Re: tube rolling for the SWL pre
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2006, 03:24 am »
Are these the same as the black plate version shown here.

http://thetubestore.com/nos-5687.html

Mike

Gordy

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2006, 04:12 am »
Here's a link to a ModWright tube rolling thread on Agon from a while back, please don't let the suspicious author of the thread put you off  :lol:   http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1137723674&read&keyw&zzmodwright+tube+

What ends up working for me is totally dependent on all the other associated equipment as well, of course, but still a nice list of tubes to search out  8)

I still haven't found a source for the gold pin tubes, short of HK!  Anybody know a reliable dealer that carries them?   Thanks!

Gordy

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2006, 05:53 am »
Thanks tvad,  I'll give Andy a call, I didn't know he was retiring.  What an encyclopedia he is!!! 

HumanMedia

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jun 2006, 12:45 pm »
Take the Sylvania GB-5687 suggestions with a grain of salt.  I tracked some gold pin versions down due to a few recommendations and found them a tad harsh and bass-less.  However their strong point is an almost psychedelic spatiality with sound moving around and out in front of you.  I couldnt handle them, and went back to the Tung Sols, but now I have upgraded my power cabling which has brought with it some hefty bass, which might compliment the Sylvania's, so I might just roll em in for a bit of that acid kool-aid.

If I still dont like them I might sell them (and mine are barely used with about 32mA left on them)

Also try out some RCA 5 Star 5687, and some 7119s (or the Dutch equivalent), which can be found for quite low prices.

HumanMedia

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2006, 08:56 am »
This is a perfect example of system synergy. When I used the GB-5687, they were anything but harsh and bass-less. In fact, the reason I preferred them was exactly because they were smooth and organic in my system. There shouldn't be such a disparity between user's observations, but I certainly don't question HumanMedia's opinion. I've tried plenty of gear that other people have loved that hasn't performed in a similar fashion in my system.

So, HumanMedia is a good source for a pair! Frankly, that's how I found two of the pairs I owned. I contacted someone who had tried the Sylvanias and not liked them. For me, they were perfect. Ultimately, after I sold my SWL9.0SE, I sold the Sylvania tubes to two friends who own Modwright Sony 999ES players, and both guys prefer the GB-5687 tubes to Tung Sols and Phillips they have tried.

I thought exacty the same when I saw your post in another thread.

These days I find that small changes can make a big difference either way.  Its a cliche but 'More resolving system etc etc' and as you say system synergy.