HDMI Weirdness

Don_S

HDMI Weirdness
« on: 3 Sep 2017, 03:58 pm »
I just moved and hooked up my Integra HT receiver.  It was working fine before I moved but now it is acting weird. It was packed in its original box/packing and only moved 6 miles by me.

First night everything started fine using a DVR with prerecorded TV shows.  Then I ran into a show where music played but no talking.  I figured it was a corrupt file and went on to the next show.  Same thing on that one and others.  Strange thing is commercials play with vocals and the stuff (introduction) before the program begins has vocals. I only lose vocal with the program.  But the background music still plays. 

Receiver seems to run hotter than before but I cannot say for sure because I never paid much attention.  It also felt warmer than I would have expected after being off for a while.

So my question is  :wtf:

I don't read lips so I need to fix this or move on to a new receiver.  :lol:

Mag

Re: HDMI Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2017, 04:38 pm »
I've had this happen but it's been years since I've had that set up so I can't recall the solution.

First off, since you moved your DVR may have reset to default settings being unplugged. But I seem to recall the problem is where your input selector is positioned when your source input is digital. Just move it to an input that doesn't interfere.

Not being able to remember I sound like an idiot, but not to worry the problem is with your settings. :?

srb

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2017, 04:41 pm »
The symptoms sound like the center channel (dialogue) is not getting a signal.

I know you didn't change anything, but check the receiver's speaker setup to make sure the center channel is on.  If so, check the center channel speaker wire and connection.

Are you getting center channel output and dialogue from a different 5-channel Dolby or DTS source?  Do you get center channel output with music in a 5-channel stereo mode or multi-channel DSP modes?

Steve

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2017, 05:18 pm »
I'm not sure about your symptoms, but when I read HDMI weirdness/issues and Integra together, I think uh-oh, time for a new processor! Unless you can get ahold of the HDMI board for your model and manage to replace it yourself...
Integra had big failure numbers with HDMI.
My 9.8 HDMI board fried and the unit began running hotter than normal. It's a brick now...
I just got an certified reconditioned, closed box 80.2, w/ upgraded HDMI board, on eBay, but it showed up with no remote. The seller is supposedly getting me one...
Anyway, good luck, but I suspect more 'weirdness' will hit, then it dies... I hope not for you though.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2017, 08:15 pm »
Steve,

I am not running a center channel because this a temporary hookup. I do not want to load my rack completely until I get it positioned properly.  That takes a second person. On moving day it was 109 and we all ran out of energy so the rack was basically dropped and walked away from. I will try with a different DVR.  My big ??? is why did it work for a while and why does it work on commercials.

A bigger question is can I reverse it and get it to work on programming and not work on commercials.  :no_hear: :thumb: :lol:[img]

jriggy,  Your mention of heat has me worried.  I thought the unit was unduly warm.  Did yours run warm even when turned off?  I am not an Integra fan.  I won it at a presentation at my local audio store so no major financial loss but it is a bad time for me to spend more money.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2017, 08:33 pm »
If you haven't hooked up a center channel speaker - and your speaker setup is still configured to have a center channel - then you will be missing the center channel dialogue on most sources.

If you go into your receiver speaker setup and change Center Channel to "None" then the center channel content will be mixed into the Front Left and Front Right speakers.

The reason it works on commercials is that most of them are not encoded in Dolby Digital or DTS multi-channel format.

Steve

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2017, 09:19 pm »
Thanks Steve.  Turning off the center channel worked.  :thumb:

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2017, 07:38 pm »
I'm not nesisarily an Integra fan. Just that when I wanted an HDMI processor, the 9.8 was there at a good price used. With audacity and a good manual eq, I like it good enough for the tv system...

When the HDMI board died, I looked around and the Integras are the cheapest HDMI SSP out there used. Wonder why? Ha! Found the better sounding 80.2 for $500, factory reverb with a new and better hdmi board... just got it. Wish me luck! And good luck with yours!