Active digital crossover/system correction options

brj

Active digital crossover/system correction options
« on: 17 Jun 2007, 09:24 pm »
Besides the offerings from TacT and DEQX, what other active digital crossover/system correction solutions have you found?

I'm curious as to what other options are out there, either in the form of a single product or collection of products.  In terms of speaker crossovers, I'm looking for the capability to create steep slopes (beyond 24 dB/octave) at any user defined frequency.  In terms of room/speaker correction, I'm looking for implementations of both IIR and FIR based filters.  The ability to incorporate the external DAC of your choice would also be a nice touch.

On the room/speaker correction side, there are quite a few software solutions you can implement on your computer (usually using BruteFIR), but no real ability (that I know of) to also implement a truly flexible speaker crossover capability while still easily including the DAC solution of your choice.  So what other solutions have people found for a complete end-to-end active digital crossover/system correction system?

(I'm surprised the TacT and DEQX still have the field to themselves, so I'm wondering if I've missed something.)

Thanks!

bkwiram

Re: Active digital crossover/system correction options
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2007, 01:52 am »
hey brj...

try: www.acourate.com (Uli Brueggeman's software)
and: www.juicehifi.com (Bernt Ronningsbakk's Audiolense)

I run Acourate with a pair of Apogee Duetta Signatures (new ribbons + updated/modified) and a pair of custom corner subs with 4 scanspeak revelator 10" drivers per side. active with three tact 2150s. crossovers are linear phase, upstream of the amps. pain in the ass to configure, but easy to use once that's done. and it works pretty good. I used to have a Tact 2.2x - it's less powerful than what I have now.

Audiolense is a new product - don't know much about it.  the acourate forum on Yahoo is a good place to learn about the cutting edge.

cheers,

Brandt

jlo

Re: Active digital crossover/system correction options
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2007, 07:01 am »
a complementary approach is to try a free software called the final cut at http://www.ohl.to/
It is a real time simulation of speakers + room with DRC correction, so you can directly listen to mods of various parameters and listener position. It's very new and still in beta version but should be an interesting learning tool. The soft is in english but the web page is in french yet.
Cheers