Soraya Listening Impressions

raptor

Soraya Listening Impressions
« on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:43 am »
I'm probably somewhat premature with this topic as I've only been listening to the Soraya for a couple of weeks but it seems that nobody else is about to do it so here we go. :)

First I'll list my other equipment: I have a Shanling CDT-100C CDP which has been modified with WE396A valves, upgraded power supply, clock and caps. This goes into a Swift with the upgraded teflon caps and the signal ends up at Whatmough P31 speakers, 91dB efficiency, 2.5 way in a d'Appolita array. I consider the speakers, and my room, to be the weak links of my system.

I've had a Lifeforce 100 since March 2007 and a few weeks ago Hugh offered to loan me a Soraya to see if I wanted to graduate to the Aspen flagship. Naturally I jumped at the opportunity. (In truth I'd been nagging him ever since he released it and he probably gave it to me just to shut me up) He told me that the new amp was only a marginal improvement on the Lifeforce, but that I would probably like it.

Hugh was less than honest with me. :nono:  As soon as I exchanged the amps the difference was obvious and not slight. To my (cloth) ears it seemed that the background noise had diminished significantly; it was most apparent in upper frequencies where the decay of cymbals and piano was greatly extended. I had the loan amp for a week and told him that the only way he was getting it back was if he rebuilt my Lifeforce to Soraya specs on the spot.

Hugh reluctantly agreed so two Sundays ago I went around for a visit with my amp under my arm. A few hours later, after standing behind Hugh with a whip in my hand, he had completely replaced all modules and power supplies and I escaped poorer in cash but richer in opportunities for great music.

Since that time I have been delighted with what I have heard; there is a lot more detail available, imaging (poor in my system) has improved, bass slam, always good, is now even better. I have been hearing things on familiar albums that I did not know were there as they had been hidden in the background but are now exposed. After 15 months of the Lifeforce I had become blasé, I knew it was an excellent amp but my toe-tapping had just about stopped. The Soraya has brought it back again and put a large smile on my dial every time I hear it. The better the recorded material the more apparent the change as well. I have been buying a number of XRCD and HDCD recordings recently and last night Hugh came around for a listen. I played him Patricia Barber’s Companion on XRCD, Martin Taylor’s Artistry on HDCD and Judith Owen’s Happy This Way on RBCD and HDCD amongst other things.

The soundstage on Companion was considerably wider and deeper than previous, the bite of the guitar strings on Artistry was wonderful to hear and the difference between the RBCD and HDCD versions of Happy This Way were easy to pick.

All I can recommend is that if you get an opportunity to listen to this amp grab it.

LM

• Lyn
Re: Soraya Listening Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2008, 11:57 pm »
All I can recommend is that if you get an opportunity to listen to this amp grab it.

Hi Neal,

Couldn’t agree more.

The thing that really stood out for me was an impression of clarity and less effort.  Even more natural and refined than the original LifeForce and an even greater presence is what came to mind for me.

It only gets better with time as well.  Mine, since the Soraya mods were comple, would only have about 300 hours up and I suspect there might still be a little more to come.

curly joe

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2008, 12:39 am »
Hi Raptor, good to hear your enjoying the new amp :green: .I'm green with envy. :)

Cheers
CJ

AKSA

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2008, 01:07 am »
Hey CJ,

I have a special treatment for that nasty green rash......... :lol: :lol: :wink:

Neil,

Many thanks, this is very helpful and much appreciated, lets people know what to expect from a Soraya.   :thankyou: :thankyou:

Ciao,

Hugh

raptor

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2008, 01:49 am »

It only gets better with time as well.  Mine, since the Soraya mods were completed, would only have about 300 hours up and I suspect there might still be a little more to come.

I'm in full agreement with that. I have probably had mine playing for 50 hours or so over the last two weeks and it is either getting better or I am getting better at appreciating what it can do. aa

curly joe

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2008, 06:40 am »
Hey CJ,

I have a special treatment for that nasty green rash......... :lol: :lol: :wink:

Hugh

Ouch!   sounds painful! :lol:

Cheers
CJ

Raj

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2008, 08:21 pm »
Wow another new amp from Hugh. I think I need to start reviewing audio products. A quick glance over the Apsen site revealed a 200W topology in the works. Well done Hugh, looks like things are moving pretty darn fast..

regards
Raja

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2008, 08:31 pm »
To put in pure engineering terminology, the upgrade from LifeForce to Soraya is that everything is mo' betta.

FWIW,
Paul

PS - and for anyone willing to brave the terrors of Park Slope Brooklyn (where all the children are gifted AND are so special that their total lack of manners must be excused), you've an open invite to stop by for a listen.

SwedeSound

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2008, 09:08 pm »
Just whose kids are we talking about here Paul.  :D

Occam

« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2008, 09:40 pm »
Just whose kids are we talking about here Paul.  :D
Your's is the exception that proves the rule.... Your son is both well mannered, charming, articulate, and quite a hoot. But you know exactly what I mean. Walk into any bar around 6pm where folks congregate to relax and have a brew, and there is some little monster(s), raising Cain, with a parent who feels their little brat is so special that their 'needs' trump civil behavior. Walk down 7th Avenue to see these little brats terrorizing their Carribean nannys. Indeed, my now grown sons could  be little shites, but they certainly knew better than to pull that crap on their caretaker, or disrespect any adult (other than their parents).

Hugh - sorry for the gratuitous comment that derailed the thread. Mea culpa.

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:13 am »
Paul,

No problem - as you know, I specialize in gratuitous comments, usually about world politics, motorcycles, or math based design......

I didn't notice many kids like that in Brooklyn, I thought it quite the most charming place on earth - and the food, omigod..... (particularly that lovely chocolate shop!)

Hugh