GK-1 stage 3 question

EchiDna

GK-1 stage 3 question
« on: 8 Jan 2003, 03:39 am »
Hugh,
Can you give us any feedback yet on how the stage 3 will interact with the remote? is it going to be IR? or RF? and do you have a sample picture of the remote itself you could post? Don't get me wrong, I fully intend buying the stage 3 once it is available, but this will impact on my chassis design if I need a spot for an IR port on the front panel.

Thanks in advance,

EchiDna,

AKA Glen

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2003, 03:57 am »
Hi Glen,

Sure!  It will be an IR remote, using the conventional protocol.  Here is the remote.  Neat huh??

Cheers,

Hugh

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:06 am »
I am forever trying to figure out this damn image thang.

How do you do it???

Try again:

Hugh[/img]

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:08 am »
One more time, third time lucky!

If this one doesn't work, I'll wait until some software type person corrects me......

Hugh

blizzard

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:31 am »
Hi Hugh,
  For stage 3, will the volume strictly be controlled by the remote?  Or, can you also turn the pot manually?  If it can be turned manually, we would have to make allowances for the diameter of the pot.  What is the diameter, so I can figure out where to mount it, and what to keep out of its way?
  Same question for the source selector.  Are we flexible here?  Or, is there a restriction based on the mounting of the input board, etc.
  Thanks Hugh, and by the way, nice teasers on those last 3 posts.

EchiDna

file name?
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:56 am »

Hugh, you have the syntax a bit wrong... however, what is the file name for the pic first? you posted a few different names for it...

cheers,

Glen

ps- you can always edit and delete posts and fix em instead of reposting ;-)

pps- edited. all that was wrong was your file name!

*puts on his asbestos suit* now looking at that remote, I think even the wife could drive it :lol:

I can't quite see, but it looks to have functions for volume, mute, power on/off.... is source select the function of the '+' and '-' keys?

cheers :beer:

theborg

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:58 am »
It's a GIF file ;-)

Jens

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2003, 11:03 am »
Hi Hugh,

Sure looks neat and simple - the way I like things to be.

What kind of remote coding will be used. Philips RC-5 or similar?

Cheers,

Jens

blizzard

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #8 on: 8 Jan 2003, 12:35 pm »
Hi Hugh
  First there is not a remote to be found.  Now, there are remotes all over the place.
  It does on/off also?
       Thanks

fred

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2003, 12:42 pm »
Will there be a toggle (single button) on/off, or discrete on and off buttons?

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jan 2003, 12:57 pm »
Guys,

I can't answer all the questions just yet until I talk more with my digital guy.

The remote will not include an on/off.  This is performed at the unit, but it's no big deal as I would expect most people to leave it on most of the time anyway.  Tubes take a little while to come on song, and if left on always, this is never an issue.

Standard coding will be used - no departure from normal standards.  The microprocessor is an Atmel 8 bit;  control functions are by darlington array.  Switching is by four pole Nais Aromat relays, with silver/gold contacts.  The motorized volume control is activated by a bipolar transistor bridge.  A crystal is used for frequency stabilization.  We burn the code in at the workshop for each one.  This is a premium quality implementation to match all the other componentry.

Thank you for all the interest!

Cheers,

Hugh

wireburn

Update?
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2003, 11:07 am »
Hi Hugh,

Can you please provide an update on remote functionality to whet the appetite for the upcoming GK-1R?

I'd like to know if the source selection will be discrete or a forward/backward toggle arrangement?  Also, will the HT bypass be remote-controllable (could be dangerous, if so)?

Thanks,
-Mike

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2003, 01:44 pm »
Hi Mike,

Certainly, mon ami.

Toggle, and HT Bypass is indeed remote.

Sending all pcbs for manufacture just after Easter;  still collecting bits and pieces (shorted RCA plugs, IR Receiver windows, 2x5 IDC plugs/sockets, ribbon cable, front panel keypads for 'manual' operation, etc).  Documentation begun, M version and P option complete in all respects, probably mid May.

This project has been around five times more complex than I had expected;  logistics, programming, documentation, future scalability, all play a HUGE part.  But having done it, I have the goods for a repeat on anything.  I reckon I should have a bash at a remote for a jumbo jet now.... :mrgreen:

Once again, apologize for the delays, tricky business.  I love the sound of deadlines as they go whooshing by........ :oops:

Cheers,

Hugh

wireburn

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2003, 01:57 pm »
So it is a toggle through the inputs...*sigh*.  I was hoping for discrete input commands so I could control it without looking at the front panel.  Would it be possible to program in discrete input selection even if the remote doesn't have the available buttons?  This way I could program my Pronto remote to select the inputs automatically in my startup macros.  If discrete input is not possible, how about a "system reset" that would select the first input?  This way I could program the Pronto to send a reset followed by the correct number of input toggles to get to the correct input.

Thanks,
-Mike

fred

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2003, 08:28 pm »
wireburn - I share your desire for discrete control, but I have a feeling Hugh is too far along to change the design.  Ah, well....

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2003, 09:55 pm »
Fred, Wireburn,

I have spoken with Ben.  No problem at all.  We will supply you with the codes so that a learning remote can be 'trained' for discrete source selection!

Cheers,

Hugh

fred

Way cool!
« Reply #16 on: 22 Apr 2003, 02:33 am »
Hugh - Thats really oustanding.  Much appreciated!  When I get mine, I'll post the PRONTO codes.  I'm hoping it won't be too much longer for the GK-1R.

wireburn

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #17 on: 22 Apr 2003, 10:35 am »
Most excellent!  I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!

Three Cheers for Hugh!  :hyper:  :hyper:  :hyper:

-Mike

Grumpy_Git

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2003, 08:30 pm »
Hugh, sorry to bug, but I'm just interested to know how the stage 3 is coming along? Come on, its been a while since we've heard anything.

Nick.

AKSA

GK-1 stage 3 question
« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2003, 01:09 am »
Hi Guys,

I posted a long answer to this and the server went down........  So here goes again.

Yesterday Ben and I found that we had confused the pcb convention and that our prototype keypad pcb was inverted.   :oops:  No problem, we put all interconnections on the foil side, and proceeded.  Then we found some incorrect track routing for the LEDs, so I'm redrawing the pcb today.   :banghead:

Things are moving along, but, and I'm very sorry about this, no promises on when.  This whole excercise has taken three times longer than expected.  We have found that the complexity is horrific but must be negotiated and simplified as much as possible.  Even writing the code (Ben did it in assembler for its speed) is a 40 hour job!

I believe it's better in future to say nothing of future products, and just suddenly spring them onto the market.  That way we don't get stupidly embarassed over deadlines, and you guys don't suffer intense disappointment when things don't happen.....  I'm very, very sorry.   :cry:

So, much closer notwithstanding, sourcing coming along beautifully now (thanks to Jeff Chen in Taiwan!), and two out of three pcbs complete, tested and AOK.

Man, this remote stuff is a whole new technology I never figured on.......

Cheers,

Hugh