Introducing Overdrive SE

audioengr

Re: Introducing Overdrive SE
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jul 2012, 08:41 pm »
Some new photos:

Silver:

Black chassis:

I will also offer black front panel and knob with black chassis if there is any interest.

indirstr8s

« Reply #21 on: 5 Jul 2012, 06:43 am »
Steve,

In the thread opener it is mentioned that turbo clock is standard. Is that single or dual turbo clock.

Sanjay

woodcans

« Reply #22 on: 5 Jul 2012, 05:01 pm »
Beautiful Steve!

audioengr

« Reply #23 on: 5 Jul 2012, 05:51 pm »
Steve,

In the thread opener it is mentioned that turbo clock is standard. Is that single or dual turbo clock.

Sanjay

There is no single.  Turboclocks are all dual.

Steve N.

arthurs

« Reply #24 on: 5 Jul 2012, 07:01 pm »
Those look fantastic Steve!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #25 on: 5 Jul 2012, 07:25 pm »
Steve, very sexy looking.  As a complete unit does this preclude the other ancillary gear you sell like clocks and converters, etc?

a1p1

« Reply #26 on: 5 Jul 2012, 08:10 pm »
Big step forward in looks.   Reminds me of classic Nagra components; serious and refined. 

earflappin

« Reply #27 on: 5 Jul 2012, 08:29 pm »
Has anybody A/B'ed this latest offering with some of the top tier DAC's out there?  I am in the midst of an evaluation process and have a Lynx Hilo and Invicta to audition, with a Medea Plus on its way.  So many DACs to choose from these days!  Anyway, I read a lot of stuff from Off-Ramp customers, but so few of them have or have tried the OverDrive.  Thanks.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #28 on: 5 Jul 2012, 09:01 pm »
 :notworthy: :drums: :rock:

Looks fantastic!

Anand.

werd

« Reply #29 on: 5 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm »
Looks like it means business  :thumb:

audioengr

« Reply #30 on: 6 Jul 2012, 01:34 am »
Steve, very sexy looking.  As a complete unit does this preclude the other ancillary gear you sell like clocks and converters, etc?

The Overdrive SE is stand-alone, if that's what you mean. Nothing else needed.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #31 on: 6 Jul 2012, 01:43 am »
Has anybody A/B'ed this latest offering with some of the top tier DAC's out there?  I am in the midst of an evaluation process and have a Lynx Hilo and Invicta to audition, with a Medea Plus on its way.  So many DACs to choose from these days!  Anyway, I read a lot of stuff from Off-Ramp customers, but so few of them have or have tried the OverDrive.  Thanks.

Overdrive has been in various reviewer and customer shootouts with:

Ayre QB9
Berkeley Alpha
Weiss 202
Emm Labs
PSAudio PWD
LessLoss
dCS Debussey
Antelope
Apogee
Tranquility

The links for these are on this forum and on my website.  Nothing besting it yet.

Steve N.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 6 Jul 2012, 02:49 pm »
The Overdrive SE is stand-alone, if that's what you mean. Nothing else needed.

Steve N.

I was a little confused when I saw this written in the previous dac write-up:

"We put the I2S input on the Overdrive so that it could be driven from the I2S output on our Off-Ramp 4 or Pace-Car USB reclocker. "

So I wasn't sure if those devices were built in or not required if using a computer as a source with the new dac.

audioengr

« Reply #33 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:53 pm »
I was a little confused when I saw this written in the previous dac write-up:

"We put the I2S input on the Overdrive so that it could be driven from the I2S output on our Off-Ramp 4 or Pace-Car USB reclocker. "

So I wasn't sure if those devices were built in or not required if using a computer as a source with the new dac.

People with Pace-Cars used with Qsonix or Sonos etc., will need I2S into Overdrive.  I may eventually design a version of Synchro-Mesh with I2S output as well, but the S/PDIF is so good that the motivation is not strong.

The USB interface on the Overdrive SE is better than the OR4 and OR5, so not too interesting to use that combo.

Steve N.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 8 Jul 2012, 05:43 pm »
Steve,

When do you think you can publish the measurements on this dac?

audioengr

« Reply #35 on: 8 Jul 2012, 06:21 pm »
Steve,

When do you think you can publish the measurements on this dac?

Unfortunately, the measurements which are made by a pro measurement company are made using the SPDIF input, so they dont get the benefit of the low-jitter USB interface.  Also, they dont use hi-res files for their measurements.  Therefore, even though the measurements are very good, they dont really reflect the ultimate performance of the Overdrive.

Because of this, I'm not too thrilled about putting down another $1K to get more measurements done.  They might be a bit better, but again it does not reflect the real performance.

The only way to get a true sense of this IMO is to put a deposit down and demo the Overdrive SE.

Steve N.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 25 Jul 2012, 04:02 am »
For anyone considering investing in a high quality DAC and is fortunate enough to be invited by Steve to visit him in Black Butte Ranch, OR, do take him up on the offer. I found Steve to be very transparent, easy going and open to discussing any aspect of his craft.  He never seemed to tire of the dialogue, and like a professor addressed my questions with a clear understanding.  The visit was exceedingly educational and necessary to make an informed decision.

What struck me was how small the DAC actually is and how meticulous he is engineering a quality product…of the finest material and workmanship.  I did not visit Steve with the intent of writing this response, nor do I write reviews or am associated with Steve or the industry.  How I judge and interpret music may be vastly different than anyone reading this.

In my opinion the stock Overdrive SE is a stellar product in itself.  Hearing the addition of the Final Drive Transformer Buffer, I believe this is a *must purchase* product offered at a very reasonable price.  I would value this far above all other upgrades.  Personally, I will be using this in place of my Pre-amp.  The difference was hearing what my brain interprets as a live performance in Steve’s listening room.   The volume control of the SE attenuates the amplitude creating an effect where I am not just lowering the volume, I am moving the performance away, 10, 30, 50 feet away.  The depth and detail was still there regardless of volume.  Steve has a good explanation for this.  Distortion remains a small fraction of the sound, so at any volume you do not interpret it.

As for the Short-Block USB filter.  I have difficulty describing the quality of the improvement.  It was more detailed and crisp, but there was something more.  For $200, in IMO the best per dollar benefit to your system.

Regarding the Overdrive SE stock vs. upgraded Analog Hynes Regulators and CUTF coupling caps:  My impression was Steve himself preferred stock over the upgrades.  The differences were subtle for rock performances, with stock giving a more stage presence allowing my visceral experience of being at a Bonnie Raitt concert.  Personally, for what I listen to, I much preferred the upgrades.  To me this sounded like the performer was 5 – 10 feet away with a very real 3d effect.  I would move to different aspects of the room and that person is still playing in the same spot.  The other detail I would sense is when a musician will pluck a chord flat or not.  Very often at musical events that are really impressive, I close my eyes and enjoy the music.  Eyes closed, this performance seemed no difference.  Also, if you enjoy piano, go with the upgrades…I have never heard piano in any reference system sound like this.

The question I asked myself is $2500 in upgrades worth the investment?  Final Drive, yes.  It made a profound difference on Steve’s system.  USB filter…for the price, absolutely.  The Hynes regulators and CUTF caps warrant a visit and listening for yourself.  Neither one sounded better than the other.  They sound different and depending on your taste, you will prefer one.  My impression: if you enjoy a small intimate venue or acoustical music, go with the upgrades.  If you like larger venues…go stock.

This dac is the culmination of experience from a talented engineer devoted and passionate about his field. 

djkevrock

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jul 2012, 12:49 pm »
Steve,

How would you incorporate the First Drive Transformer Buffer, if you only an have integrated amplifier?  Any pics of this First Drive Transformer, yet?

Thanks

audioengr

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:22 pm »
Steve,

How would you incorporate the First Drive Transformer Buffer, if you only an have integrated amplifier?  Any pics of this First Drive Transformer, yet?

Thanks

FINAL Drive can be used with an integrated.  It can be used with ANY DAC or CDP.  It is not a volume control.  No pics yet.  I will get some prelim pictures posted here ASAP.  Panels coming today, but not finished panels.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jul 2012, 05:27 pm »
Ketcham - thanks for the informative post, and really enjoyed having you and your significant other.  Also, thanks for bringing your Bidat.

First time I had seen a Bidat and heard one.  Not too bad when driven by an Off-Ramp 5.  I did not realize that it would not do even 96.

BTW, I think I like the fully optioned Overdrive SE best, even though the standard one may have a tiny bit more slam.

Steve N.