Questions re: B60SST

WEEZ

« on: 8 Mar 2004, 02:25 am »
I'm new to this forum- and am soon to be in the market for an integrated amplifier such as the B60. Are there any users or listeners out there who can describe the sonic improvements/differences between the "newer" SST version vs. the previous model? i.e.- warmer;more transparant,etc.?
Just trying to get a feel for the sonic signature as my nearest dealer is some distance away, and doesn't carry any of the components that I own, so an in-home trial may be difficult. Also- any comments regarding compatable CD players would be appreciated. (I know that many use the Rega Planet or Jupiter- but I am thinking maybe Naim CD5i--?

Thanks in advance...

Weez

KJ

« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2004, 02:40 am »
I don't believe there are/were different versions of the B60.  The ST vs SST has been reserved for Bryston's amplifiers.  I've not heard the B60 itself, but I'm told it's a great integrated amp.  Consider what speakers you are going to drive with it as it is limited to 60 watts (8ohms) or 100 watts (4ohms).

As for the cd players, do you plan to use a digital out connection?  If so, you will be making use of Bryston's excellent DAC anyway.  Thus, you might not see a significant gain in obtaining a high-end player.  This is a good way to potentially save some cash and put it towards other components in your system.  If you plan to run analog out, obviously that's another matter.  Best of luck.

-KJ

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2004, 03:04 am »
KJ,

You could be right- but I thought I read that the B60 was "upgraded" approx. June,'03 timeframe and the website shows a B60 SST if you click on the pdf spec sheet on the site.

Years ago I heard a B60 and I thought it was quite good- just curious if there are sonic differences in the new model (if there is indeed a new model) or whether the SST devices are simply a "power/stability" thing with no real change in sonics.

Thanks for your input. (By the way, the built in DAC might be of interest but it wouldn"t help me if I go with Naim as they provide no digital output)

Thanks

Weez

KJ

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2004, 03:17 am »
Weez,

You are correct in that the spec sheet lists it as an SST product.  However, the web site does not list it in the legacy product section.  Maybe James can chime in and help clarify.

Forgot about the Naim connectivity "limitation."  My local dealer sells them, but it seems he refers to it mostly if you requre a front-loading player (vs top loading).  Otherwise, he tends to push the Regas which I must admit sound quite nice - very neutral sounding.  If you are intent on the B60, you may want to hold off on the cdp purchase if you can bring home some demos.  Nothing like hearing it in your own listening room.

-KJ

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2004, 03:44 am »
KJ,

You're right- in home trials are best but not always available when you live in an audio wasteland like I do :cry:

Hey- thanks for your input. Maybe there are others out there with comments. The build quality w/Bryston is first class- therefore my interest- just curious as to sonic signature as my speakers are highly resolving and I want to avoid sonic "nasties" in the amplification, however small.

By the way- I'm building a small music-only system here, so any comments re: the phono stage option would be of interest.

WEEZ

KJ

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2004, 03:55 am »
Quote from: WEEZ
KJ,

By the way- I'm building a small music-only system here, so any comments re: the phono stage option would be of interest.

WEEZ

That's one option I'm not familiar with as I am a CD only listener.  Hopefully some others can chime in on that arena.  Mind if I ask what speakers you are using Weez?

-KJ

WEEZ

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2004, 04:15 am »
Merlin TSM-Milleniums.  :wink: Easy 8-ohm load, so 60wpc is plenty.

WEEZ

DeadFish

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2004, 04:32 am »
Hey Weez & All,

I have had a Bryston B-60 as the core of my system since I upgraded from an old ('caff! caff') Harmon Kardon.
Never ever ever looked back once.
It was the first piece of 'hi end' I ever had in my home.
I eventually added a Rega Planet to it, and a Theta dac, as my Bryston did not come with a dac internally.  I do not know what is being produced now, as there is not a Bryston dealer anywhere near me.
I guess I've had the B-60 about 5 years.
I have added a Bryston phono stage to boost my Rega P3. (after a Creek and a McCormick)
I biamped with a Bryston 2B-lp into my Vandies.
I even got a Bryston active crossover.

Have I convinced you how convinced I am?
 :lol:

Now for the down side, if you will pardon a little story....
I sold the 2B-lp.
 I was depressed enough in a week that I didn't listen to music for 6 months as it wasn't 'right' anymore.  
I bought another one.
For me, in my system, Bryston is 'dope.'

Now, I noted you mentioned living in an 'audio wasteland'.  That is where I thought I lived when I bought the Bryston.  Sometimes you have to trust folks that like to listen like you do, is all I can tell you.  I bought mine ears unheard.

Strangely enough, living in the greater St. Louis area and the recently formed GAS group listening to each other's gear, I finally get fortunate enough to hear what other's perceive as good aural sex, in a term.

I've already wrote 'gush' emails to Bryston with great service and gear.

:D

Be happy to answer any questions I know an answer to, but otherwise, you know, I might blather on...

Good luck!

DF

WEEZ

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2004, 05:27 am »
Hey KJ & DF,

Thanks for your input. What I'm setting out to do is to break-out my "music-only" stuff from my a/v stuff. For music, I prefer a sound that is more laid back, if you get my drift. For video- a little slam/bang is fine.

My curiosity re: the B60 (SST?) is.... on a scale of one to ten, with one being syrupy(sp?) and ten being hyper-detailed, I am looking for a 4 or 5.

I have plenty of stuff on both extremes in my collection- but nothing in-between. Hope that explains my questions. I am after a smooth and refined music system that I 'think' could be centered around the B60(SST?). Hence my questions of Bryston users.

Thanks again for any and all thoughts.

WEEZ

zeke

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2004, 06:37 am »
The Bryston B60 i had about 3-yrs. ago would definately not be a 4 or 5 on your scale ---- closer to a 7 or 8 imo.  I don't think any Bryston gear will be a 4 or 5.  That's not knocking Bryston ------ their gear sounds great, but it sounds more on the detailed side of smooth imo........

DeadFish

« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2004, 08:36 am »
I guess, in a way, I have a kind of bipolar system.  I have read in some reviews that some folks had thought Bryston kinda hard or detailed, yet my Vandersteen speakers seem to have the opposite kind of reputation.
Likewise my Planet is regarded as a little more 'analog' sounding cd player, coupled with the Theta dac which is detailed.
End result?  
I'm happy, but I am sure that any bitter edge of the Bryston gear is softened by the Vandies.  Biamped with crossover, I get good detailed base and clear mid and highs.  For me.  
With my ears.
I'm interested myself to hear the Bryston coupled to something else.  All I've got is some lovely rat-shack speakers that won't let anything sound good. ;-D
I'm not familiar with your speakers, and how they might affect overall sound.  
Its either alchemy or a crapshoot!

Regards,
DeadFish

WEEZ

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2004, 02:29 pm »
Not to beat this to death :!: but "detail" is good  :P , harshness is not :nono: .

Reliability factor is important too- a known aspect w/ Bryston.

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2004, 02:36 am »
I just re-read my last post- I did not mean to imply that the B60 is "harsh" :oops:

Most of the reviews seem to indicate a sonic signature that is "a warm audio nest" ; and "sympathetic" etc.,etc...

Yet user comments on "another" forum say quite the opposite. Like I said in an earlier post- an in-home audition may be difficult in my location.

Just looking for detail w/o listener fatigue, if you get my drift. LIke I said- I heard a B60 a few years ago and it sounded pretty good-but the speakers were not very resolving.

Any comments from users that have not chimed in would be appreciated.

DeadFish

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2004, 03:51 pm »
At the risk of talking too much, again,   :roll:
I must ad that I never found my B-60 fatiguing.
That was not the case with other gear I have owned.
After a while, the roots kind of come out of my behind and firmly clench whatever I am sitting on, and I tend to pose as a deer in headlights.

We're pulling for you..

DF

WEEZ

« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2004, 12:26 am »
Hey Deadfish

You're a riot  :lol:

I take it that if you had around $3000 to spend on new equipment- you'd buy a B60 and a Planet?

WEEZ

DeadFish

« Reply #15 on: 21 Mar 2004, 11:31 am »
One could have worse ways to listen!  :D
I've heard of folks using tube equipment along with Bryston, as in tubed preamp, so maybe something along those lines might get my attention.  Maybe a more varied format player with some tube-mods...(wouldn't mind hearing what good SACD might do!)  The Planet would be a sure bet on a modest player.
I sure wouldn't have trouble laying down the $$ for whatever incarnation the B-60 might have, if of course, I had the 'extra money' laying around crying for a use.
Now, where do I go sign up for that 'extra money'?

Regards,
DF

WEEZ

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2004, 02:36 pm »
Update-

Closest dealer has a B60R in stock- how do I tell if it's the new model?
(Understandably- it's not for loan, as it's not a demo :| ).

Maybe someone from Bryston can chime in here and give me some advice. This dealer is 100+ miles away- and deals mostly in professional sound- not hi-fi, so he wasn't much help.

He was not able to describe the sonic difference, if any, between the SST and the original. :scratch:

WEEZ

BeeBop

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2004, 11:21 am »
I am interested in the B60 but my speakers are only 86db efficient. Can anyone say if the the B60 be able to drive these?

KJ

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2004, 02:14 pm »
The question you probably mean to ask is whether or not the B60 can drive your speakers "well." I would imagine it depends on what type of music you listen to and how hard you drive them.  I don't doubt that the B60 could push music through, but I doubt you'd be getting everything out of your speakers they are meant to.  My $.02.

-KJ

WEEZ

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2004, 03:09 pm »
BeeBop,

KJ's comments are well taken- depends on lots of conditions (your listening habits, music played, etc.) Also consider the room size you have.

Update--

I just came back from a trip to Milwaukee and heard a B60. (My mission was to hear a B60 with a Naim CD5i. My comments can be found in the Critic's Circle, if you're interested)

The listening room was approx. 16'x25' with high ceilings and room treatments. The B60 was driven by the Naim CD5i, and the speakers used were the B&W 705's and 805's. The 805's are rated at 88db.

In that room the B60 drove the 805's to satisfying levels at 12:00 on the volume dial with no audible clipping or distortion. You may take that as just one point of reference, for what it's worth.

I am satisfied that the B60 is a fine amplifier- and I would be happy to own one. While not providing the "weight" of a high-power amplifier, the presentation was very smooth and detailed without ANY harshness whatsoever.

Unless you listen at ear-bleeding levels; or have a large room to fill- 60wpc of clean power goes a long way IMHO.

My search has definately been narrowed down...

WEEZ