3 x 8 Servo H Frame build - Finished, Playing and Impressions

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
IKEA furniture easy this build is not.

I'm using 3/4" MDF for this build. Since the tops, bottoms and sides need to be double thickness, the first set is rough cutting the parts oversize then laminating two pieces together.  Here the four sides and two bottoms have been laminated together, stacked on top of each other then clamped down.

Since the tops were so much smaller I clamped them up separately.

The baffles have been roughed out.

If it doesn't rain on me, I'll get these pieces trimmed to final size, driver holes cut, all the round overs done and the glue up started tomorrow. 

Mike
« Last Edit: 30 May 2015, 02:31 am by mlundy57 »

Captainhemo

Re: 3 x 8 Servo H Frame build
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2015, 05:09 am »
Fun doing all that laminating isn't it  :lol:

Looking forward to the build as usuall Mike, keep the pics coming

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2015, 05:24 am »
Jay,

As you are well aware, it's just loads of fun :shake:

These aren't going to be fancy. I'm going to the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas the first weekend in May and I want to take my Wedgies which gives me a little over a week to finish these. On top of that, there is rain in the forecast for the next two days. Which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to do all my cutting and routing out in the driveway.

That means I don't have time to apply and finish veneer like I usually do so I will be finishing these with
Duratex.

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2015, 03:08 pm »
Jay,

As you are well aware, it's just loads of fun :shake:

These aren't going to be fancy. I'm going to the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas the first weekend in May and I want to take my Wedgies which gives me a little over a week to finish these. On top of that, there is rain in the forecast for the next two days. Which wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to do all my cutting and routing out in the driveway.

That means I don't have time to apply and finish veneer like I usually do so I will be finishing these with
Duratex.

Mike

Yeah, I read over in one of the other threads about you taking your Wedgies and  soon to be OB sus  to the LSAF.  Should be lots of fun for you. Are you  teamig up with someone in a room  or do they have a  DIY area for people to  demo their speakers and other  DIY gear  ?

Sure they'll  look good in the Duratex, many of the other examples of  folks using it seem to have  given  great results.  I'd imagine you could top coat that stuff if you were after a specific color too

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2015, 03:59 pm »
Jay,

LASF is different than your typical audio show. It encourages individuals to set up their own gear as well as companies. Also, you don't rent separate display rooms. All of the hotel rooms are two room suites and everybody uses the outer living room as their display area.

There is no extra charge to display. Your room cost is it. All the rooms for the festival are on three or four floors. You just wander around checking out whatever interests you. It's pretty low key and a lot of fun.

My grandson is going with me so I plan on getting two rooms next to each other. My room will have the Wedgies. The other room will have my LGK 1.0's, N1X's and X-Omnis. The X-Omni's won't have the finish on the though.

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2015, 05:30 pm »
Jay,

LASF is different than your typical audio show. It encourages individuals to set up their own gear as well as companies. Also, you don't rent separate display rooms. All of the hotel rooms are two room suites and everybody uses the outer living room as their display area.

There is no extra charge to display. Your room cost is it. All the rooms for the festival are on three or four floors. You just wander around checking out whatever interests you. It's pretty low key and a lot of fun.

My grandson is going with me so I plan on getting two rooms next to each other. My room will have the Wedgies. The other room will have my LGK 1.0's, N1X's and X-Omnis. The X-Omni's won't have the finish on the though.

Mike

Sounds like Danny should be paying for those room for you :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:29 am »
Danny said he planned on being there (though not displaying) and would help me get things dialed in so they sound best if needed.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:49 am »
Today's progress, got all the pieces sized and edges rounded over/bullnosed as needed.

Have to cut the driver holes tomorrow then start gluing them up.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:17 am »
Just glued up one of the amp boxes. I made the bases extra long offset to the rear so I can mount the amps to the stands.

rak313

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2015, 06:47 pm »
Time for an update?  Last we heard you took them to lone star, but you had yet to receive the HX300-OB and used an amp borrowed from Danny.  Did you get the amp yet? And if so have you had a chance to give them a workout yet?

Anxiously waiting for an update (the veneer is just fantastic :thumb:).

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2015, 07:54 pm »
I have not venerred the H-Frames. Due to time constraints for LASF I used DuraTex on them. Here are some pics. You're looking at the back sides. The extended base is where the amps will sit.

Here they are set up and playing at the festival

My amps have arrived and I have installed them in amp boxes with the DuraTex finish to match the subs.  I don't mind the DuraTex on these. Mainly because it is not going to be permanent. Once Danny gets the Wedgie specific base modules developed I will build a pair of those and they will get veneered. 

I have them playing but need to do some adjusting this weekend. I basically have two different component setups in the one system, a two channel tube setup for music and a multichannel AVR for movies.

The preamp outputs are very different. I get the subs sounding good for music but when I switch to a movie there is almost no bass. So I increase the sub's input for the movie then when I go back to music the bass is way to hot.

I need to sit down with my SPL meter and get things set the way I want them for music then switch to the AVR and use it's speaker level setup to adjust the subs and not fiddle with the volume dial on the sub.

Part of the problem has been how the AVR is designed. It has pre-out connections as well as the internal amp and both can be used at the same time. However, any crossover point set for the main channels effects their pre-outs as well. The only way to work around this is to put another power amp into the system for the front two channels. That way I can set the AVR's front channels to full range, use the in-line filters between the preamp and poweramp with the unfiltered by-pass going to the subs. 

That is what I have to set up this weekend.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2015, 08:11 pm »
So Mike,

How does the two channel system sound with the wedges and the 8" subs? This is the system I thinking about doing in a small beach house I have.

I use a Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum integrated and this seems like a great solution.

rak313

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2015, 08:37 pm »
I have not venerred the H-Frames. Due to time constraints for LASF I used DuraTex on them.

I was referring to the wedgies (veneer) that you placed on the H-frames, but I forgot - that was a different thread. What I'm interested in is how the combination sounds.

Captainhemo

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2015, 09:07 pm »
Nice idea  extending the bases like that Mike , should work out well.
Pics really show just how small the Wedgies are !!

Bet you are loving them   :thumb:

jay

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2015, 09:23 pm »
IKEA furniture easy this build is not.

:lol:

They do look easier to build than they actually are.

Great job, BTW! :thumb:

Ruben

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 29 May 2015, 10:37 pm »
Review time. This is going to be a long post.

The sound of the Wedgies themselves has been described in the thread “Something New That Sounds Incredible”, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126112.440
starting on page 23. Here is what I had to say about the Wedgies when I first heard them (page 25, post #487)

Important caveat: I do not currently have base speakers that match really well or do justice to the Wedges. Of the subs I have available for use in this system the 8” ported X-Sub works the best.  As nice as this little sub is, the bass is still thick and slow compared to the openness and articulate nature of the Wedges.  With this in mind, the comments that follow are not meant to refer to low frequency performance, but only to the Wedges themselves

Now that I’ve had a chance to listen to the Wedges for a few of hours I can discuss initial impressions. My first impression was WOW!!!

Danny’s description of something sounding incredible is dead on to an understatement.  The sound was huge. Center images didn’t so much sound like they were coming from between the two speakers as from all around and above them. Almost like the entire back wall became one big speaker.  While the sound was huge it wasn’t overpowering. It had an almost airy quality with voices especially seeming to be floating in the air between the speakers.   

However, this does not mean everything is mashed together.  There is very distinct separation between notes, voices, instruments and location. When a drummer plays a solo and runs around his set the sound pans from right to left with him. Also, sounds that are supposed to be off to one side stay pinned to that location.

Voices are clear and those that are intended to soar like Barbara Streisand, Jonas Kaufmann, Pavarotti, and the John McDermott soar. Those that are intended to be more earthy and distinct like Holly Cole, Rebecca Pidgeon, Ray Charles, Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson shine in their distinctiveness.

Hard and punchy is hard and punchy yet clean. Fleetwood Mac, Steppenwolf, and Jethro Tull all sound exceptional.

Visually, they fit very nicely into my 11’x13’x8’ (1,144 cubic feet) room. But can they play loud?  Well, I have them connected to a Jolida JD-801A (70WPC) and at my listening position (10ft) I had the SPL meter up to 100.5dB before I had to back off because I couldn’t stand it anymore.  Now I can hear some of you saying that’s all fine and dandy but a 1,100ft3 room isn’t very big so it’s not really much of a test and you’d be correct. As I’m typing this I’m listening to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons at a very enjoyable volume. This might not mean much except that I am in my office which is downstairs and at the other end of the house from the Wedges. I have no doubt they would easily fill my 5,000+ ft3 living room should I put them there. However, I learned my lesson with the N3’s. I’ll not give my wife a chance to get her hands on the Wedges

Back to the present. So, what are they like after a few hundred hours of playing time and 3 x 8” servo sub bases under each one?

First off, Danny’s thoughts early on in the discussion about a Wedgie sitting on top of a 3 x 8 H-Frame looking a little funky but sounding awesome is right on.  As you can see from the above picture, the H-Frames look clunky under the Wedgies.

Some of that can be reduced by not having an overhang on the H-Frame tops. This would slim the lines down quite a bit.  If you went with dual 12” H-Frames the top would be 2” wider if you cut the sides flush, more if you added an overhang.  Once Danny gets the Wedgie base frame designed I will build that so the complete package looks as awesome as it sounds.

As for that sound, it is huge, clean, clear, enveloping, smooth, detailed, full, well balanced and engaging. An absolute dream to listen to. The servo subs blend seamlessly with the Wedgies. This is also how people at LASF described them after Danny tweaked the setup.  You really shouldn’t think of these as speakers + subs. They really function and sound like full range speakers that just happen to be built in two separate boxes.

To get a feel for these speakers I have listened to a lot of music but I find the “Best of Chesky Jazz and More Audiophile Tests Volume 2” to be very helpful in listening for specific attributes. This CD includes tracks for tests of percussion imaging, depth of image, height, bass resonance, general image and resolution, and sound effects tracks as well as music. 

The percussion imaging is spot on. You can easily tell the location of individual instruments and follow the drums around the circle.

For depth of image they use a clicker as they walk farther and farther away from the mike. As the clicker recedes from the microphone, you can easily hear the spatial cues that give a sense of depth to the soundstage. Not just that the click is getting fainter but echoes as well. 

For the height test a shaker is used starting at the floor and moving up until it is 4ft above the mic. Again, the movement clear and easily followed.

Bass resonance is unbelievable. You can follow the scales all the way down, even pipe organ scales. The bass is always clean, clear, and balanced, never bloated or boomy.

In the general image and resolution tests you can cleanly hear and follow as people enter off to one side from behind the microphone, approach the mic, circle around it, then move away off to the other side, very realistic.

The sound effects tracks are recordings of actual locations, a woods in the daylight, a barnyard, children in the park, a police riot, a supermarket, drinking beer, a freight train crossing, inside a subway car and outside in the rain. The purpose of these tracks is to see how realistic the different environments sound, to see if it sounds like you are in the middle of each environment. The Wedgies and servo subs excelled in all of these. If you closed your eyes it was easy to feel like you were in each environment.

There has been a fair amount of discussion and speculation as to whether three 8” servo drivers per side would provide enough bass. From my perspective, they do a fantastic job. Even on bass heavy tracks like Hotel California from the Hotter Then Hell album, Adele’s version of Rolling In The Deep, and the Telarc version of the 1812 Overture. 

I also noticed when I was listening to a version of Pachelbel’s Canon in D Major with Ocean sounds that when the surf rolled in you could hear it come towards and even past you before it receded. I couldn’t be more pleased with the way this system sounds.

I received another opinion last night. The person who is getting the X-Omnis was over and listened to the Wedgie/Servo Sub combo. He described the sound as crystal clear, freaky clear even. He said if he sat and closed his eyes he felt like he was there.

I have found the volume setting needed on the HX300 plate amps varies with the preamp. When powered by the preamps in either my Marantz or NAD AVR’s, the sub’s volume needs to be set at 1 o’clock to blend with the Wedgies. However, with my Jolida stereo preamp the sub’s volume needs to be set at 10 o’clock.  I have also run the sub’s considerably hot to see if they could handle it. They could.  You will get more performance out of two 12’s but the combination will look bulkier. Three 8’s do an admirable job and are fine for me.

Whether you go with three 8’s or two 12’s, the OB LGK Wedgie/Servo Sub combo is an absolute sonic dream experience that I doubt can be topped for less than 10X the price. I have listened to speakers with price tags up to $20K and prefer the Wedgie/3x8 servo. Other people who have listened to the Wedgie/servo combo have told me the same thing.  I think Danny’s original comparison, that it takes the Serenity Super 7 to top the Wedgie/servo is going to be right on.

Mike

brother love

Re: 3 x 8 Servo H Frame build - Finished, Playing and Impressions
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2015, 11:43 am »
Excellent thorough review Mike!  Many of us here are very interested in this speaker combination, & your finer details of the build & sound give great insight. Much appreciated.  :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2015, 11:56 am »
Mike,

Great review. But beautiful work on your Wedgies and OB sub. Setup looks nice. With your build expertise, you can venture out into DIY room treatments, diffusers, etc...

Best,
Anand.

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2015, 02:27 pm »
Whether you go with three 8’s or two 12’s, the OB LGK Wedgie/Servo Sub combo is an absolute sonic dream experience that I doubt can be topped for less than 10X the price.
+1

Great job on the "H" frames Mike, great review as well.  Still loving mine but trying to figure out the best way to integrate my servo subs to make the package look better.  So far I am still using the subs in my V1 speakers, sounds great, but wanting to combine the Wedgie and the servo subs into a single speaker due to space constraints.

Best,
Ed

Ultralight

« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2015, 02:47 pm »
mlundy57, looks great.

May I ask what other speakers/systems have you had in your room in the past?  And how do these compare to them?

They do look quite large/tall.  May I ask how deep does your bass extension go - and does it overload (boominess) in your room?  A challenge with a room of that dimension (I have a room that dimension) is getting deep bass without overloading.

Thanks!
UL