What was or will be your first Salk song?

earthbound

What was or will be your first Salk song?
« on: 2 Jun 2009, 03:10 pm »
I've been wondering what to play first when I get my new Salks. Maybe something by Sarah McLachlan to make sure my wife gets totally sucked in right away.  :green:

This forum already has an ongoing best recording thread, so I don't want this to become that all over again. I was just wondering if anyone else made, or is making a big deal over the first music they heard or will hear on their new Salks.

martyo

Re: What was or will be your first Salk song?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:00 pm »
My listening bud of 35 years helped me bring the HT3's in from the car and down stairs so I gave him the choice.
He wanted cut #4 from the NYAR 2006 disc. Maybe a New Yorker will give us the name of the cut which I don't know off hand.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:21 pm »
You get Jim's demo CD:

Track 1: Jennifer Warnes / Somewhere, Somebody [The Hunter]
Track 2: Ray Montange / You Can Bring Me Flowers [Till the Sun Turns Black]
Track 3: Mary Fahl / Una Furtiva Lagrima [The Other Side of Time]
Track 4: Ray Charles / Here We Go Again (Featuring Norah Jones) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 5: Nils Loftgren / Keith Don?t Go [Acoustic Live]
Track 6: Lyle Lovett / She Already Made Up Her Mind [Joshua Judges Ruth]
Track 7: Ray Charles / Fever (Featuring Natalie Cole) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 8: Jennifer Warnes / I Can't Hide [The Hunter]
Track 9: George Winston / The Auction [Country: The Original Soundtrack]
Track 10: Ray Charles / Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (Featuring Elton John) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 11: Santana / Migra [Supernatural]
Track 12: Ray Charles / Do I Ever Cross Your Mind (Featuring Bonnie Raitt) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 13: Mario Frangoulis / Vincero, Ferdero [Sometimes I Dream]
Track 14: Jennifer Warnes / Lights of Louisianne [The Hunter]
Track 15: Doc Powell / Thank You [97th and Columbus]
Track 16: Dean Peer / Lord's Tundra [UCross]
Track 17: Blue Man Group / I Feel Love (Featuring Venus Hum) [The Complex]

Tracks 1, 5 and 7 that what I'd start with  :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2009, 08:01 pm »
My first track was Joe Satriani's "Rubina," and then I put in Jim's CD.  Track 5 is incredible! 

TJHUB

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2009, 09:14 pm »
You get Jim's demo CD:

Track 4: Ray Charles / Here We Go Again (Featuring Norah Jones) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 10: Ray Charles / Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (Featuring Elton John) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 12: Ray Charles / Do I Ever Cross Your Mind (Featuring Bonnie Raitt) [Genius Loves Company]

100% agreed.  Jim's demo CD should be first (I think I remember this stated somewhere in the included paperwork). 

It just so happens that the first songs played on my HT2-TL's was the demo CD.  No regrets on my part. :D

audiocrazy

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2009, 09:54 pm »
Track 5 is incredible!
I second Brandon's opinion  :thumb:
I played Jim's Demo CD on my SongTowers and was amazed especially Track#5 (Nils Loftgren / Keith Don?t Go [Acoustic Live])

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2009, 10:45 pm »
My listening bud of 35 years helped me bring the HT3's in from the car and down stairs so I gave him the choice.
He wanted cut #4 from the NYAR 2006 disc. Maybe a New Yorker will give us the name of the cut which I don't know off hand.

That would be "Duende" from the Black Light Syndrome album.... http://www.amazon.com/Black-Light-Syndrome-Bozzio-Stevens/dp/B000003ZBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1243982440&sr=1-1

Here's the full list Marty.... :thumb:

New York Audio Rave - ?Reference Tracks - 2006?

1 - Copland - "Fanfare For The Common Man"
2 - Wynton Marsalis  Quartet - "Feeling Of Jazz"
3 - The Bad Plus -  "Keep The Bugs Off Your Glass, And The Bears Off Your Ass"
4 - Bozzio, Levin, Stevens - "Duende"
5 - Ben Harper - "Gold To Me"
6 - Morphine - "Buena"
7 - Bernadette Peters - "Blackbird"
8 - Kalman Olah Trio - "Inspiration Of Variation XXI"
9 - Mino Cinelu - "Oncoming Horizons"
10 - Nils Lofgren - "Keith Don?t Go"
11 - Groove Troopers - "Bearing Bears and Boring Boars"
12 - Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Tin Pan Alley (w/ Johnny Copeland)"
13 - The Only Reference Track You?ll Ever Need?woof,woof.. :lol:

Happy Listening.....Chris (Lonewolfny42)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2009, 10:46 pm »
Maybe something by Sarah McLachlan to make sure my wife gets totally sucked in right away.  :green:

This is the best idea yet.  Something that your wife likes.  I wasn't that smart.  I played Norah Jones' Come Away with Me because I know the album very well, which gave me a baseline.  My wife, being part of the under-50 crowd, doesn't like Norah Jones, however.

rahimlee54

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2009, 11:13 pm »
You get Jim's demo CD:

I liked 4 and 7 so much I bought the cd.  Jim's disk is good and first song for me was either Dream Theater or Weezer I cant recall.  It was a random song I know that for sure.

And then like oneinthepipe I threw in some Come Away With Me.

mathgeek97

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jun 2009, 11:32 pm »
Maybe something by Sarah McLachlan to make sure my wife gets totally sucked in right away.  :green:

This is the best idea yet.  Something that your wife likes.  I wasn't that smart.  I played Norah Jones' Come Away with Me because I know the album very well, which gave me a baseline.  My wife, being part of the under-50 crowd, doesn't like Norah Jones, however.
Hey, my wife is under 40 and loves Come Away with Me.  Hence, that will be the first track.  WAF power!  BTW, Norah Jones sings just as well live, if you ever get the chance to catch a concert.

greenhouseman

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2009, 01:03 am »
Aja---Steely Dan

HerculePirate

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2009, 09:26 am »
Oh Hell

I definitely second the choice of

"Duende" - Black Light Syndrome ( That band did shine for that album.....awesome...their second album was "Situation Dangerous"..disappointing)

"All Alone" - Joe Satriani (Satch's best Tune)

Rush "Tom Sawyer"
Opeth "Damnation"(the whole album)...(this acoustic album defines Black Metal for me)

Regards

HP

earthbound

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jun 2009, 02:53 pm »
I forgot that I'm going to get the Salk CD with the speakers, but I'm still have to go with Sarah for the first song(s). My wife also loves Jackson Browne so after I play the Salk CD I'll spin Jackson's song about being on tour with his roadies and she'll melt in my arms! heh heh heh  aa

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jun 2009, 04:09 pm »
I forgot that I'm going to get the Salk CD with the speakers[.].... I'll spin Jackson's song about being on tour with his roadies and she'll melt in my arms! heh heh heh  aa

Don't forget the photos.  The FedEx truck, I mean.  :D

mdfoy

« Reply #14 on: 3 Jun 2009, 04:10 pm »
Tord Gustavsen, Colours of Mercy was first up for my HT1s, then Rachelle Ferrell, I Can Explain.  The HT1 have no high end.  Incrediible.

Nuance

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jun 2009, 05:19 am »
I am confused.  They have no high end, as in no treble response?  But then you say " incredible."  So...:dunno:

bhm7272

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jun 2009, 10:34 am »
Slow down, everyone.  This is a very serious question.  Your new Salk speakers are like children (ok i'm single).  Are you really gonna just throw something you've never heard in for the first song?  This song should be special.  Something that you're very familiar with.  Jim's cd is good, i'm sure, but not for the first dance.  Nothing less than your favorite artist will do.  Plug those beauties in, run your calibration routine, grab your favorite beverage, get a blanket, turn out the lights, then press "play."  For me it will be extra special because my whole set-up is new, i'm not upgrading anything.  It's all in place, waiting for Jim's creations for completeness.  If you sneak in and listen with me, you'll hear...

...yyz from Exit...Stage Left by Rush

earthbound

« Reply #17 on: 4 Jun 2009, 04:04 pm »
Slow down, everyone.  This is a very serious question.  Your new Salk speakers are like children (ok i'm single).  Are you really gonna just throw something you've never heard in for the first song?  This song should be special.  Something that you're very familiar with.  Jim's cd is good, i'm sure, but not for the first dance.  Nothing less than your favorite artist will do.  Plug those beauties in, run your calibration routine, grab your favorite beverage, get a blanket, turn out the lights, then press "play."  For me it will be extra special because my whole set-up is new, i'm not upgrading anything.  It's all in place, waiting for Jim's creations for completeness.  If you sneak in and listen with me, you'll hear...

Well said! After I play Sarah McLachlan for the WAF I might have to put in Tull's Stand Up (Mo-Fi version) for me.

mdfoy

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jun 2009, 06:08 pm »
Nuance,

The "no high end" is meant as no limit to the high end.  They are that clean and extended.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jun 2009, 07:55 pm »

I think I did something like that (less "romantic" though and quicker!) just to realize that ... my favorite artist's CD STINKS! That is what Salk's speakers do -- forse you to forget about poorly recorded favorites! At least it is happening to me. In contrast, almost all the tracks on the Salk demo CD are nearly perfect in terms of SQ even if you may not like the music.
Hope your favorites are well recorded  :thumb: