What surrounds to use?

GTOBOSS

What surrounds to use?
« on: 9 Sep 2008, 06:48 pm »
I'm interested in getting a pair of songtowers and song center but the song surrounds I'm not sure will work.  I need to be able to mount them on wall.  Is there any suggestions.  Plus how important is it to get timbre matching surronds.  Will not be listening to much multichannel music mainly HT and CD's.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2008, 12:41 am by GTOBOSS »

Nuance

Re: What surronds to use?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2008, 11:24 pm »
I'm interested in getting a pair of songtowers and song center but the song surronds I'm not sure will work.  I need to be able to mount them on wall.  Is there any suggestions.  Plus how important is it to get timbre matching surronds.  Will not be listening to much multichannel music mainly HT and CD's.

Timbre matching is ideal, especially if you listen to multi-channel music.  However, if I had to chose which set of speakers to not timbre match it would be the surrounds. 

I'd get in contact with Jim and see what he recommends.  He's a very busy man, but he's always taken the time to get in contact with me and answer my questions.  He's very personable too.  Give him a shout.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: What surronds to use?
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2008, 11:43 pm »
I'm interested in getting a pair of songtowers and song center but the song surronds I'm not sure will work.  I need to be able to mount them on wall.  Is there any suggestions.  Plus how important is it to get timbre matching surronds.  Will not be listening to much multichannel music mainly HT and CD's.

While I know today's hi-rez formats demand more from the rear channels, I still feel that it is an area where you can get away with putting "lesser" speakers until a time comes when you can afford better speakers or feel that it is worth upgrading.

I am running two sets of almost 8 year old Swan Diva R3's (I think that is the model number) and they have worked well in two different setups in two different houses.

Would I love to have matching SongTowers for the rear channels?  Sure, but since I don't listen to multi-channel music too often, I haven't felt the need to spend the extra money (sorry Jim).

BTW, call Jim and ask him to work out an on-wall package for you.  I am pretty sure he has built on-wall speakers before.

George

GTOBOSS

Re: What surrounds to use?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2008, 12:54 am »
Yeah I'll send Jim a pm, hopefully he has some advice!

Nuance

Re: What surrounds to use?
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2008, 03:59 am »
You'll probably get a quicker response by e-mailing him:

jimsalk@att.net