Which Model Of Salk Speakers?

unitslanav

Which Model Of Salk Speakers?
« on: 24 Dec 2013, 04:02 am »
My only speaker experience is B&W 801 Series2 with modified crossover and cabinet dampening by Frank Van Alstine.  Electronics are Van Alstine.

Does anyone know which model of Salk Speakers provides the clean and extended low end response of the B&Ws and is superior to them in other ways?

Thanks so much for your help.

Jack

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
Re: Which Model Of Salk Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2013, 03:57 pm »
I'll be the first one to say Soundscape 8.

SCompRacer

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2013, 07:43 pm »
I agree with the above post. I've never heard a modded pair of the 801's, but think you'll gain midrange transparency with detailed yet smoother highs. SS8 bass is solid and accurate. What is your room size?

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2013, 01:25 am »
Hi,

Frank Van Alstine upgraded his 803's (I think this was their model number) to Salk Sound HT3's a number of years ago and he thought they were a much better speaker.  They are very hard to drive though as I use a 300 watt amplifier and the HT3's make the amplifier clip on occasion.

The Salk Sound HT2TL's might be another option to consider which is about $3500US cheaper than the SS8's.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2013, 01:15 pm by Rocket »

unitslanav

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2013, 04:57 pm »
Thanks everybody for the suggestions.  The Room is 11.5' wide by 18' long.  I have the choice narrowed to the Veracity HT2-LT, the Veracity HT3 and the Sound Scape 8.

Austin08

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2013, 06:38 pm »
I would stay away from ht3 unless you already got one or two powerful amps to drive it.

won ton on

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2013, 07:37 pm »
unitslanav........I have HT-2-TL'S in a 11x17 room and would suggest HT-2-TL'S or supercharged song towers.The HT3 or Sound Scape 8's might be too big for your room.You can always ask Jim .

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2013, 11:30 pm »
Actually several years ago my HT3s replaced an aging set of B&W 801 Series Two speakers I had upgraded with revised crossovers to prevent interaction between a couple of large crossover inductors.

If your AVA amp has enough power to drive the B&W 801s it will be just fine for Salk HT3s too.

Now my HT3s are aging too.  They don't have the current version crossovers, woofers, or ribbon tweeters.  I also own a set of Salk HT2 TLs and I think they would be a nice improvement over the old 801s if your budget is trying to stay pretty rational.

I still use all three speakers all of the time but to try something new at a reasonable price I just acquired a set of Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic Three speakers. They sound much like a modern high end Salk speaker but without the high end cabinet work and at a lower price.

You have lots of good choices with speakers from Jim Salk and Dennis Murphy.

Frank Van Alstine

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2013, 01:12 am »
unitslanav........I have HT-2-TL'S in a 11x17 room and would suggest HT-2-TL'S or supercharged song towers.The HT3 or Sound Scape 8's might be too big for your room.You can always ask Jim .

I forget who it was but there is some dude here (with photos) that bought a complete Salk 5.1 system for a room smaller than that!  :lol: :thumb: :scratch:

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2013, 01:21 pm »
Hi,

I had the original version HT2 (non TL model) which used the LCY ribbon tweeter.  I've just upgraded to a new pair of HT3's which use the aurum cantus G2 tweeter and the difference whilst not huge is a clearer midrange and much lower bass response.  The HT2TL's almost go as deep as the HT3's and I presume that major difference would possibly be a superior midrange performance.  The HT3's are quite hard to drive and I was surprised that I could get a 300 watt (8ohms) to clip quite often at loud levels.

I think that Jim is now making the Philharmonic 3 cabinets and you could possibly look at this speaker along with the other options that you mentioned.  My only concern about recommended Dennis' speakers is that this is Jim's forum but if he's building the cabinets it may not be much of an issue.

Cheers Rod