Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.

charmerci

Re: Audiocircle Exclusive: iTube2 Tour.
« Reply #20 on: 12 Feb 2017, 08:30 pm »

On the initial Tyson review thread another member asked about the difference in using it as a preamp vs a tube buffer, I asked the same question here also.  It would help other potential purchasers if the reviewers in the tour could explain where and how they used it in their systems (preamp vs buffer) and how the different functions impact the sound.

I'm fourth on the WC tour and I shall use it as both - but someone will probably do so before me.

OzarkTom

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2017, 01:55 am »
A question to OzarkTom....

I have 2 systems, both using Tommy's In Line Maraschino's.  My second system is:
Squeezebox Duet - Streaming Tidal & FLAC through ROON.
Tommy's DAC DAC
Musical Fidelity Pre6 preamp
GR Research N2X speakers

In the past I had an Eddie Vaughn Carina SET amp, deeply regret selling it and miss the signature SET sound.  So my question is: did you use the iTube2 as a buffer, or did you use it as a preamp and control the volume?  I'm debating using it as a buffer with the MF preamp or replacing it completely.

If anyone has any feedback on the different sound signatures (SET/Push Pull) that would be appreciated.   

I only usd the Itube2 as a pre, but try it both ways. You might be surprised. I keep looking at the Pro Ican, the father of the Itube2 for a full pre. There is a lot of rave reviews all over the net on  the Pro Ican,  some reviews is saying it is the end changer. That unit is fully balanced with remote volume control and said to be an awesome head amp. Anyone hear owns one?

The SET setting made the Cherry amps more SET-like and switching to the 30v PS, now 36v made a big difference also.

Philistine

« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2017, 05:31 pm »
Thanks for the feedback on the pre vs buffer options SET etc and buying options.
I've got a third system that has everything except for a preamp, I'll snag one for this and try it as a buffer in other systems.  I'll throw in my feedback, even though I'm not on the tour, if that's okay with Pez..

Phil A

« Reply #23 on: 15 Feb 2017, 02:05 am »
I'm not on the tour but just got my unit today.  It is being used on my desktop.  It sounds outstanding.

GentleBender

« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2017, 08:02 pm »
Please forgive me, for I am not a writer or even a novice reviewer. :oops: These are my impressions of the iFi iTube 2 used in my setup.

System Source: VPI HW-19 with TNT platter
Mac Mini
DAC: Sony UDA-1
Phono Stage: Odyssey Audio Suspiro
Amp: Odyssey Audio Cyclops SE++
Speakers: Vapor Audio Auroras
Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer
Interconnects: Reveal by Sonny (Tuan)
Speaker Cables:  Reveal by Sonny

Before

Just a bit about my digital experience. The Sony UDA-1 has been in my setup for over a year and was not a good match for me (or maybe anyone). It is dry, flat, brittle and there is no sign of life left in anything that goes through it. Absent of any sound stage and basically sounds like a cheap boom box through my system.

After

I finally sat down with the iFi Tube 2 now that it has about 120 hours on it. It's been running daily to make sure it had time to burn-in and I can't lie, I enjoyed it every chance I got during this time. The iTube 2 sounded good from the moment it was added. I can't honestly say that it improved after burn-in since I just left it running while at work without much time to listen everyday.

So my only audiophile buddy sent me a text yesterday asking what I was doing and I told him I was about to sit down and do some comparisons with this iFi, he was here in a flash. :lol: To get things started, I pulled up Tidal and put on some music I am familiar with in this order.

Megadeth "Symphony of Destruction"
Megadeth "Skin O' My Teeth"
Temple of the Dog "Say Hello 2 Heaven"
Temple of the Dog "Hunger Strike"
Mad Season "Wake Up"
Def Leppard "Pour Some Sugar on Me"
Def Leppard "Photograph"
Def Leppard "Love Bites"
Pearl Jam "Black"
Faith No More "Ashes to Ashes"
Faith No More "Jizzlobber"
Jimi Hendrix "...And the Gods Made Love"

We listened to the tracks with the iFi in the SET, XBass 20hz with +6db and 30°+ positions which were determined to be the best for MY ears. This music was selected by us and for us, sorry if it is not helpful to you. Just wanted to hear what I know and see what it would sound like through the iFi.

First thing we noticed was that I had to turn off the sub. The iFi brought life back to my digital! The dynamics had returned and the bass had slam and authority that was nonexistent before. Complex passages throughout all the tracks were handled with aplomb and I again heard things not heard before and in a space much bigger than my 12'x13'x9' room. By the third track I had the volume turned higher than I should have. It just sounded so good and we couldn't help ourselves. It remained at those levels for the rest of the session.  :nono:

So after going through the music obstacle course, I had to pull the iFi iTube 2 out of the system to make sure it wasn't just a dream. Maybe it was Tidal making the DAC sound so good? We suffered through two songs before stopping the torture. The soundstage disappeared, and everything was as I had remembered about the awful sound. So we made a drink to try to wash away that awful noise then added the iFi back into the system before randomly selecting songs for another hour.

I did try the iFi on my phono stage, but it did not sound good there. Not that the Suspiro needed any help, but why not try?

So to wrap it up, this tour sold two units at one stop. It is a game changer for my system! The upgrade is not subtle, it is stupendous. I can't say what it will do in your system, but it saved my digital end.
« Last Edit: 20 Feb 2017, 12:33 pm by GentleBender »

GentleBender

« Reply #25 on: 20 Feb 2017, 01:19 pm »
Sure wish I had jumped on the iTube 2 that was up for sale for $300 last week. :duh: I did ask if it was the 2nd gen without a reply, but it was probably because it was already sold. What a deal! So I ordered mine from https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1309433-REG/ifi_audio_303013_micro_itube2_class_a.html this morning. It must have been the last one in stock.

I have to ship my tour unit out tomorrow to the next lucky person on the tour and can't imagine life without it. Well that may be an exaggeration, I'd just have to listen to only vinyl and pretend that all the music I don't have on vinyl doesn't exist anymore. Some old pressings are really hard to come by or are so expensive that digital files make it accessible to me.

Thanks Pez for putting this tour together and giving me a chance to hear it in my system. I still have a hard time believing that something this small and affordable makes such a big difference.

sfox7076

« Reply #26 on: 20 Feb 2017, 02:14 pm »
I am watching this with interest.  Went into my WE stash (ok, when it crosses 250 tubes, what is it?).  I have about 30 396As (and 60 of the 20volt filament version).  Maybe I can get some use out of them. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 20 Feb 2017, 03:57 pm »
Thanks for the write up GB.  I'll be standing on your shoulders when it gets here.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: 20 Feb 2017, 07:36 pm »
.....I did try the iFi on my phono stage, but it did not sound good there. Not that the Suspiro needed any help, but why not try?.....
Thanks for starting the reviews.

I think it will be helpful to talk more about how we're using this device.  Where it was installed and was it tried as a preamp to control volume, or as a buffer, or both? With or without gain? Differences between, etc.  Looks like your amp is integrated ?  Can you separate sections? 

Not complaining, just looking for insight into other systems.

GentleBender

« Reply #29 on: 20 Feb 2017, 08:01 pm »
Thanks for starting the reviews.

I think it will be helpful to talk more about how we're using this device.  Where it was installed and was it tried as a preamp to control volume, or as a buffer, or both? With or without gain? Differences between, etc.  Looks like your amp is integrated ?  Can you separate sections? 

Not complaining, just looking for insight into other systems.
I used it as a tube buffer only, which is the default setting. I will end up trying more settings when the unit I ordered arrives. :D  I will report on the finding on the different settings in my system. It went Mac mini -> Sony UDA-1 -> iFi iTube 2 -> Odyssey Audio Cyclops. When I tried it on the phono stage it was VPI -> Odyssey Suspiro ->iFi iTube 2 -> Odyssey Audio Cyclops and it didn't work for me.

Pez

« Reply #30 on: 20 Feb 2017, 09:36 pm »
GentleBender - Really great info!  :thumb:

Ahh that feeling you get when you discover something you can't live without.  8)

GentleBender

« Reply #31 on: 20 Feb 2017, 10:13 pm »

:P

bacobits1

« Reply #32 on: 20 Feb 2017, 10:14 pm »
When it arrives here I will be listening to it similar.
Computer USB > (Itona Ind) or CXC Transport >Yggdrasil> Red Gum RGi120ENR or Pathos Classic 1 MKII
ClearAudio TT> iFi Phono 2 (Should be interesting)> either one of the 2 amps.
Speakers are Usher CP6371 (no Cans here) all Wywires complete IC to PC's or I''ll comment more on changes.

By the time these review demos are done and written you should have quite a cross section of tastes and equipment.
Well worth the trial for AMR/iFI and better than Pro reviews just as examples IMO.

WireNut

« Reply #33 on: 20 Feb 2017, 10:17 pm »
If this tour is still open I would like to join and compare it with my Yaqin CD3 tube buffer.

Thanks.

SFDude

« Reply #34 on: 21 Feb 2017, 01:41 am »
So to wrap it up, this tour sold two units at one stop. It is a game changer for my system! The upgrade is not subtle, it is stupendous. I can't say what it will do in your system, but it saved my digital end.

Wow. Pez has earned his "commission" now. :) Thanks for the review and looking forward to the others before it gets to me on the end of the tour.

And I hadn't thought about putting it between the phono stage and preamp. But I imagine it wouldn't sound good since it doesn't have the same characteristics as a line out signal, correct???

Pez

« Reply #35 on: 21 Feb 2017, 03:16 pm »
Wow. Pez has earned his "commission" now. :) Thanks for the review and looking forward to the others before it gets to me on the end of the tour.

And I hadn't thought about putting it between the phono stage and preamp. But I imagine it wouldn't sound good since it doesn't have the same characteristics as a line out signal, correct???

Actually the iTube2 has a 'buffer only' option so that you can defeat preamplifier options.
You have 4 choices when it comes to this:
  • buffer (0dB)
  • buffer (+9dB)
  • Preamp (0dB)
  • preamp (+9dB)
Many ways to configure and use this bad boy.  :thumb: and as far as commission I actually get paid in cookies.

brother love

« Reply #36 on: 21 Feb 2017, 03:30 pm »
... as far as commission I actually get paid in cookies.

Hmm ... I would have thought this would have been your method of payment.  :green:

Pez

« Reply #37 on: 21 Feb 2017, 03:53 pm »
I accept all forms of sugar based currency.

Phil A

« Reply #38 on: 21 Feb 2017, 03:55 pm »
Music Direct took this payment from me no problem :green:

sfox7076

« Reply #39 on: 21 Feb 2017, 07:37 pm »
Is there a way to change the tube?