PS3 and COD4....Online at last

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
PS3 and COD4....Online at last
« on: 23 May 2009, 02:30 pm »
I've been dragging my feet at the mere thought of attempting to 'game' online since I though there was a subscription (read; cost) involved.
The other night my son was playing COD4 on the PS3 and ran across the menu where he can play online. By the look on his face you'd have thought it was Christmas time. Sure enough, you don't need a subscription to play online (like the XBox360 requires).

I didn't know that. I just assumed...... :dunno:

I get very little time to play video games, but do enjoy FPS games from time to time. The realism of COD4 is fantastic and is our "go-to" game. By far the one that's played most often. I'm not a big fan of multi-player, mainly due to the reduced viewing area, so we usually take turns playing against the A.I. of the computer.
Playing online against other people is the most intense gaming experience he, or I, have ever had.

My only complaint is the "punk factor" of the opponents. Listening to them gets old sometimes, but overall doesn't detract from the game play too much.
Having an "adult" area where focused, serious gameplay could take place would be nice. But then again, the people who are very serious about their gameplay probably wouldn't want somebody of my "less than novice" level of experience playing on their team.
Playing online has taught me (very quickly) just how bad I really am. It's amazing how many times I've had my butt handed to me.  :lol:
As a very intense, very competitive person by nature, it's hard to be this inept. Especially when the prepubescent child that just 'ran you through' with his knife is giggling while you're respawning.  :duh:

This is fun. Too much fun to quit.

I'm currently looking over my sons shoulder as he's wielding a Barrett .50 cal sneaking across the deck of an ocean going vessel, in the rain, at night looking for an opponent.

I think it's my turn now. After all, it IS my system.  :guns:  :icon_twisted:

Bob

whams

Re: PS3 and COD4....Online at last
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2009, 06:52 am »
Hi there,

I actually just had the opposite experience to you. I have had a playstation since the ps1 and its largely the reason I never explored xbox etc. (stick with what you know, happy with etc etc). and just recently my mate was talking about the subscription fees to play the xbox online.

I never knew that was the case.  :o  I couldn't believe it! I thought he was joking. I'm sure good old Bill has enough money by now? Doesn't he?

Anyways, Call of Duty 4 was a great game. Didn't really play it much online (I usually play car/racing games if I'm getting online) but I did love the sniper mission through the main game.

Been stuck in the Fallout 3 world lately. Awesome, fantastic game. I have been losing a lot of hours on this lately. My wife is less then impressed! Boys and their toys...... :wink:

WerTicus

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2009, 05:51 pm »
no online ps3 games cost extra...

If your worried about playing with kids you should get a real computer as consoles are cheap and therefore the online community is made up of kids. The xbox online community is worse than the ps3's though.

You should look at the red faction multiplayer demo that just came out (xbox or ps3) its fantastic.

mcullinan

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2009, 06:11 pm »
YEah Great Game!!! I have it for X360! Played for 6 months straight! I didnt pick up COD World at War... because of mixed reviews. Just finished Resident Evil 5 (awesome) and am now playing Sacred 2: Fallen Angel which is like a hack Oblivion, but its not too bad.
Have Fun!
Mike