626r vs. Onix Ref 1 Review. Comments?.......

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
« Reply #100 on: 30 May 2003, 11:52 pm »
Quote from: shokunin
Seriously, both are excellent speakers, you'll find things to love about each of these speakers.   The strengths of the 626R's had more attack, clarity and presence that was just a tad less than on the Ref's.   Bass went deeper than the Ref's, but that's to be expected from the larger cone size and twice as large cabinet on the VMPS.  Once some of my gear was added the 626R's became brighter than before and actually needed some adjustment to the tweeter pot.  I don't believe John adjusted them down, so take ...

Thank you for your very kind comments and observations here...

I've said it on more than one occasion... I need to call Brian and order up a pair of these... and better still... maybe Brian will let me build him some cabinets for the 626 over in China... we build a mighty fine cabinet all things being equal...

I also wanted to say thanks for bringing over some goodies to the demo... that was very nice of you... and MD really appreciated it...

Thanks again... and wishing you all the very best...

mls

mlschifter

Re: Onix
« Reply #101 on: 30 May 2003, 11:58 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
OK, had a view of the AV123 URL with the Onix Ref 1 and must say it looks like a quality product.  Marbles, this is my forum, do you have to quote the Onix promo?

Since my friend of 25 years, Mark Shifter, is involved with the Onix I can hardly say anything bad about it.  That will wait until I get some review samples.  To be fair, if I post a review of the Onix Ref 1 I should let Mark post a review of the 626 FST.  Should be a real complement-fest, given our past and current association.

Cool Mr. B...

I'd love to hear the 626's... and maybe you'll let me build you some enclosures... I'd love to show you what *I* can do over in China...

I'm actually overseas right now going over our plans to open a larger plant... we just bought 18K sq. meters near Lotus Mountain... we will build a new ultra modern (for China) enclosure and assembly facility...

Let me know Brian... I might surprise you old friend...

25 + years... whew... we are both getting older... I just had a birthday yesterday...  :cry:

All the best to you Brian...

mls

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
cabinets
« Reply #102 on: 31 May 2003, 12:03 am »
I've seen some of your great boxes and would lust after same.  Trouble is you never know what's in the container from China and often it's too big a surprise.  With you overseeing cabinet production I would not have any qualms, however.
Email me with some details.
My friend Jim Harger drove by your compound (mansion, palace, what have you).  Took him 20 minutes from gate to fence.  It must be awful living in China.  He spotted horses, but what about the giraffe paddock?  Recent addition?

mlschifter

« Reply #103 on: 31 May 2003, 12:03 am »
Quote from: rosconey
:o when will the ref1 clones start showing up-120$ for the tweeters,dont know the 5.25 driver but a substitue cant be hard to find ,say 200$ for the pair,100$ for crossover parts,130$ for parts express cabinets and 200$ to the guru of your choice for the crossover design-selahaudio-gr research-or one of the other compitent guys.750$ or less :mrgreen:

this is not a rocket flame------the vmps have custom drivers not off the shelf ones,vmps are also made in the usa not a china(nothing bigitory just a labor ...

No offense taken...

But please alow me to point out that the woofer is custom made by us... for us... it's our cast basket (not bought off the shelf)... and the cone is custom also...

The tweeter is not...

The cabinet is super special... made in OUR Factory to our own spec... the Piano Black Lacquer I would match up against ANY Piano finish in the biz... and the Bird's Eye Maple is really artful...

ONIX Ref is a ground up design... not another me too copy...

All the best...

mls

John Casler

« Reply #104 on: 31 May 2003, 12:05 am »
and better still... maybe Brian will let me build him some cabinets for the 626 over in China... we build a mighty fine cabinet all things being equal...

WOW :o  :o  :o

What a concept.  Then even Mad Dog would have to have a pair :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

mlschifter

Re: cabinets
« Reply #105 on: 31 May 2003, 12:12 am »
I've seen some of your great boxes and would lust after same.  Trouble is you never know what's in the container from China and often it's too big a surprise.  With you overseeing cabinet production I would not have any qualms, however.
Email me with some details.
My friend Jim Harger drove by your compound (mansion, palace, what have you).  Took him 20 minutes from gate to fence.  It must be awful living in China.  He spotted horses, but what about the giraffe paddock?  Recent addition?

Hey Brian...

Life is very good for me over in China... (except for SARS)...

There are no surprises in *MY* containers because we control everything... and I do mean that... get me some .dxf's of your cabinets... and I'll build ANYTHING for you at No Cost at all... my treat... I'll bring it in in one of my containers for our products... and then ship it to you... but I need your drawings Big B...

Brian... your lifes work has gotten better and better with age... and I would love to show you what I've built over there... come on over in October (I know... Monsoon Season... but the weather is usually real good then or just before Thanksgiving...)...

Wish I had known Jim was there... would have set him up nicely... He's a great guy...

The new factory willl be under way soon...

Here are some of the details copied from another post on our forum:

++++++++++++++++++

For a long time now many of you have known and have realized that we are at the limits of our production capacity. We’ve had many offers to come into larger facilities (that we do not own or operate)… and frankly… I’ve been less than enthused about this… A few months back with my own frustrations running so high, I almost did this… went into a facility where we were not the “owners”… just to boost production.

My dream then was to build a facility for ourselves where we could do it “our way”… and make it World Class by any measure… Today, I can now share with you that this dream is about to come true…

Last week Mr. Pu and I purchased an 18,000 square meter piece of (usable) land that will ultimately yield about an 180,000 square foot production facility about 20 minutes from our PanYu City base. This land is part of Lotus Mountain (a beautiful place)… and is very near to a sea port for export.

Our plan is to build our facility in two parts with ground breaking to take place next week. I’ll be traveling over the Seoul with a few friends to “break ground” in our hotel suite (I’m not going into China for a few more months as SARS is not yet in complete check)… and go through all of the plans for our new factory.

We’ll have:

Apartments for about 200 people (stage one)

GREAT dining halls and kitchens

On site laundry facilities for our staff

Day Care for our children

Small medical facilities for any on-site injuries etc.

Scooter repair shop for our teammates to get their scooters worked on

Three enormous Production Hangers

SOTA spray booths and polishing stations

At least two Italian multi-head CNC’s and several multi-head / multi-axis routers

SOTA dust collection equipment and systems

Assorted other machinery we need (to big of as list to post here)

At least two Anechoic Chambers for test and measurement

All automated “in-line” test systems

Etc. etc.  the list is too big to detail here… but you can get the gist of this…

Stage One will begin in about 4 weeks if everything goes as planned… Stage Two will take place in mid-2004.

I want to thank Mr. Pu and his family for their super efforts on our behalf… and I also wish to acknowledge our partners as well… but most of all I want to say a sincere and heartfelt Thank You to all of you that have believed in our products and our vision… without all of you… this would have never happened…

More later to be sure…  

+++++++++++++++++++

So... lots happening right now... and the new facilities will be wonderful... I promise...

Come on down Brian... it will amaze you...

All the best...

mls

John Casler

« Reply #106 on: 31 May 2003, 12:16 am »
We may be witnessing Audio History as it happens!!!! :D

Onix Cabinets and VMPS (Cheney) sound!!!!!

mlschifter

Re: Onix
« Reply #107 on: 31 May 2003, 12:22 am »
I should point out that Mark Shifter made a lot of money elsewhere and does audio now because that's what he likes to do.  He has to live in China in order to keep an eye on his suppliers.  He'd like to avoid the fate of the Dunlavy folk who bought into the "Chinese cabinet" mystique, got six figures worth of unsalable junk, and went under because of it.

I, on the other hand, live right here, taking up valuable land and airspace.  I support numerous wives and swarms of native-grown children, whereas Mark ...

Amen...

Sorry to see John go...  :cry:

However... I have several (five) Grandchildren to support... and one (Gracie) lives with us... she's the star of the show...  :D

I do so dearly love audio Brian... and I'm glad to be here to say it... I enjoy this life very much... and I've worked hard here and in other places (that I've shared privately with you)... to get me to "today"...

In any event... now I'm going to lobby the heck out of you until you let me build you some cabinets...

All the best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #108 on: 31 May 2003, 12:25 am »
Quote from: John Casler

I'm ready... and really John... I have you guys to thank for all of this...

So... Thank You for getting my motor going and getting over here to harass Big B.

All the best...

mls

John Casler

« Reply #109 on: 31 May 2003, 12:31 am »

So... Thank You for getting my motor going and getting over here to harass Big B.

Stangely enough, I have been thinking of this scenario for the last couple weeks also. (Since the session here in LA)

I also have a few other ideas, but I'll keep them in the can for now. :wink:

Mad DOg

« Reply #110 on: 31 May 2003, 12:38 am »
Quote from: mlschifter
Quote from: John Casler

All the best...

mls

mark,

stop posting and get to work on them stratas!!!  :wink:

this is JUST great...now mls has got another forum to take him away from the really important stuff!  :nono: that's why i didn't say anything to him about this forum!!!  :mrgreen:

well, come to think of it...at my current rate of saving $0.02 a day, taking mls away from designing the Stratas may not be such a bad idea...i might have saved up just enough money by the time they are released if we can tie him up on all the forums long enough!  :wink: :D

Kishore

« Reply #111 on: 31 May 2003, 12:38 am »
Wow Mark, you are truly a Gentleman! (I guess you compensated for the other piss posts in this thread ;))

I hope you are in good health (in these times) and looking forward to your  insights here and in AVS.

Cheers,
Kishore

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #112 on: 31 May 2003, 12:45 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
Agreed.

I know Mark Shifter's associates are doing cabinets for Hsu in that Rosewood color.

There are many possibilities in China to do amazing cabinetry!

Such gorgeous cabinetry mated with VMPS technology would make for quite a pleasing view!!  Yum.

Mark,
Lets also give credit to Moi for putting the seed into your brain.  ;)

Gotta flex those MBA skillz once in a while.   :lol:

rosconey

« Reply #113 on: 31 May 2003, 12:50 am »
mlschifter
thanx for the diginfied response, i honestly meant no disrespect.
rockets and vmps(already had the sub )and diy were my final 3.
i went diy and got the bug and i guess it showed, again sorry for any confusion.
i dont want to tell you your business but you might want to take a look at the now discontinued michaura line -a six sided cabinet that is georgeous even with the faux finish,put your name in a cabinet that shape and your finish and your wow factor will be 10x easy(heck make one pair like that for brians 626r)
it appears all they did was split the side wall in the middle and bend out, if you want i can send you a pic of my small ones.
i also hope you and yours avoid the bug

blkwrxwgn

« Reply #114 on: 31 May 2003, 01:08 am »
You guys are all wasting your time talking about the Ref 1.  It's all about the Ref 2's!!   :D

I'm telling ya, I'm loving them.  Good work once again Mark.

You got some crazy people over here in this forum.  That ribontweeter guy is insane.  :lol:

Brian you also seem like a great guy, I love the sense of humor.  

Take care.

Aaron

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #115 on: 31 May 2003, 01:38 am »
Quote from: blkwrxwgn
You guys are all wasting your time talking about the Ref 1.  It's all about the Ref 2's!!   :D

I'm telling ya, I'm loving them.  Good work once again Mark.

You got some crazy people over here in this forum.  That ribontweeter guy is insane.  :lol:

Brian you also seem like a great guy, I love the sense of humor.  

Take care.

Aaron

CAre to comment on the Ref 2's vs Ref 1's?.........

mlschifter

« Reply #116 on: 31 May 2003, 04:02 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg
mark,

stop posting and get to work on them stratas!!!  :wink:

this is JUST great...now mls has got another forum to take him away from the really important stuff!  :nono: that's why i didn't say anything to him about this forum!!!  :mrgreen:

well, come to think of it...at my current rate of saving $0.02 a day, taking mls away from designing the Stratas may not be such a bad idea...i might have saved up just enough money by the time they are released if we can tie him up on all the forums long enough!  :wink: :D

No worries... I'm so far behind in any event on answering e-mail that it's almost a joke itself...

It's all good...  :)

All the best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #117 on: 31 May 2003, 04:08 am »
Quote from: Kishore
Wow Mark, you are truly a Gentleman! (I guess you compensated for the other piss posts in this thread ;))

I hope you are in good health (in these times) and looking forward to your  insights here and in AVS.

Cheers,
Kishore

Thanks so very much for your post and this kindness... I appreciate it...

My health is much better now... thanks for asking... I'm back in Seoul at the moment... and the trip over was easy in all respects...

I'm trying to spend more time on the Net... it's hard sometimes... I know this is a good thing --- but sometimes e-mail eats me alive...  :)

In any event... thanks again... I'll try to spend more time here... and on avs...

All the best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #118 on: 31 May 2003, 04:10 am »
Agreed.

I know Mark Shifter's associates are doing cabinets for Hsu in that Rosewood color.

There are many possibilities in China to do amazing cabinetry!

Such gorgeous cabinetry mated with VMPS technology would make for quite a pleasing view!!  Yum.

Mark,
Lets also give credit to Moi for putting the seed into your brain.  ;)

Gotta flex those MBA skillz once in a while.   :lol:

I have to agree 100% here...

Thanks so very much...

All the best...

mls

mlschifter

« Reply #119 on: 31 May 2003, 04:12 am »
Quote from: rosconey
mlschifter
thanx for the diginfied response, i honestly meant no disrespect.
rockets and vmps(already had the sub )and diy were my final 3.
i went diy and got the bug and i guess it showed, again sorry for any confusion.
i dont want to tell you your business but you might want to take a look at the now discontinued michaura line -a six sided cabinet that is georgeous even with the faux finish,put your name in a cabinet that shape and your finish and your wow factor will be 10x easy(heck make one pair li ...

Absolutely no problem... please do not worry about it at all...

I'll do a search and have a look... thanks for taking the time to point this out to me...

Wishing you all the very best...

mls