Home theater reciever issue

Toecutter

Home theater reciever issue
« on: 7 Nov 2020, 01:42 pm »
Here's the problem , have a new TV and an older avr. The avr won't pass hdr or dolby vision without giving me the pink washed image. This is making it so I can't watch anything  on Disney plus and alot of Netflix content. Is there a way around this? Can I plug my streaming box into my TV and somehow get surround audio back to my AVR?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Home theater reciever issue
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2020, 02:02 pm »
Here's the problem , have a new TV and an older avr. The avr won't pass hdr or dolby vision without giving me the pink washed image. This is making it so I can't watch anything  on Disney plus and alot of Netflix content. Is there a way around this? Can I plug my streaming box into my TV and somehow get surround audio back to my AVR?

That depends on the audio outputs on your TV and inputs on your AVR. If you have S/PDIF audio out connections, either optical (Toslink) or Coax (RCA), on the TV and matching input connections on the AVR you an use one of those. An optical connection would be my first choice. Check the AVR for how to setup the audio source for the TV.

Toecutter

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2020, 02:31 pm »
That depends on the audio outputs on your TV and inputs on your AVR. If you have S/PDIF audio out connections, either optical (Toslink) or Coax (RCA), on the TV and matching input connections on the AVR you an use one of those. An optical connection would be my first choice. Check the AVR for how to setup the audio source for the TV.
All those connections  are stereo  not surround , if I'm not mistaken,  I was hoping maybe using th arc channel or maybe splitting the hdmi and sending one to tv one to avr.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2020, 03:12 pm »
If you have an ARC channel that is the easiest. Connect the HDMI. Cable to the ARC connections on the TV and AVR then be sure the AVR is set to that input.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2020, 03:13 pm »
All those connections  are stereo  not surround , if I'm not mistaken,  I was hoping maybe using th arc channel or maybe splitting the hdmi and sending one to tv one to avr.

Optical digital is not limited to stereo and can carry at least Dolby Digital 7.1, I'm pretty sure. Beyond that, I don't know. I run an optical cable and HDMI from cable provided Tivo to an old Integra pre-pro and utilize 5.1 when it's available. I just have to direct traffic accordingly within pre-pro.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2020, 04:45 pm »
Sometimes there is a timing issue also that I ran into when pulling audio from the box (COMCAST). My box also has selection of stereo or multi. channel.

While a pain to do you might just have to play with some different setups.

Alan

I noticed you also posted this question to multiple threads.   :nono:

Toecutter

« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2020, 07:50 pm »
If you have an ARC channel that is the easiest. Connect the HDMI. Cable to the ARC connections on the TV and AVR then be sure the AVR is set to that input.
Thank I got it to work with arc  had to turn it on in the avr settings and use tv on my avr input selection .

DigIndig

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2020, 03:37 am »
Another option would be to use a HDMI audio extractor, available from several retailers online (Monoprice, for instance). You feed it an HDMI connection, and it outputs stereo or multi-channel audio over coax, optical, or copper. The original HDMI signal can then be routed to your display as well.