Natural grassfed LAMB. Where do you guys it from?

Andrikos

Natural grassfed LAMB. Where do you guys it from?
« on: 25 Jul 2008, 09:26 pm »
I LOVE Lamb.
It's definitely not an everyday type of meat like chicken is, but, on the special occasions, nothing beats it IMHO.

I grew up in Cyprus where beef is tough and chewy (not cornfed) but every other type of meat is superior that what I get here.
Last summer when I was vacationing there my uncle made some Lamb "Souvla"

that was so flavorful, tender and juicy that I almost wept. :D

Let me add that Greeks don't like "bloody" food at all, so the lamb is fully cooked with crispy outside (usually crispy fat) and a juicy inside.
I'd venture a guess that internal temp is in the 170-180F range.

In the states, I buy the Australian/NZ lamb that is widely available at supermarkets (and Costco) and to put it mildly, it's sub par. Not good. It will do in a pinch when I crave it (my kids love it but they haven't had the GOOD stuff! :))

Since we have a litany of gourmets in this wonderful subforum, I wonder where you  get your lamb from and how much do you usually pay?
Do you find it superior to supermarket lamb?
What are good sources to order from?
Thanks,

TheChairGuy

Re: Natural grassfed LAMB. Where do you guys it from?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2008, 11:49 pm »
Andrikos,

I've been looking for 20 years for lamb as good as in Cyprus  :D - haven't found it yet.  Let me know if you do.  When it's bought I most often get it from Trader Joe's (Aussie or Kiwil lamb..sometimes they only have the ribs)

Lamb's gotta' be well cooked...it's such a fatty affair.  They too often undercook it here in the US.

Your ever lovin' Cypriot bud, John  :thumb:

TerryO

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2008, 12:08 am »
This just more of you old guys talking about the good old days, and that's OK, if you don't want to keep up with the Modern advances in food preparation.

Today's generation is tired of the way you guys do it. We want Synthetic grassfed LAMB that's popped into the Microwave and zapped for 20-30 minutes! Served with warm "Rheinlander" Beer right out of the can, it's something that your guests will never forget.

I could go into greater detail, but I'm not feeling too well...

Best Regards,
Terry :green:

EchiDna

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2008, 08:55 am »
 :drool: Lamb IS everyday meat in Australia and NZ (quite apart from Greece I know) - it is often the cheapest meat there is and the top shelf stuff all stays at home, unlike beef where the best goes straight to Japan...  after all Melbourne is one of the top 5 largest Greek cities, including those in Greece!

so where would I buy top quality Lamb? fresh from the local butcher of course  :D

on the subject of souvlaki, its basically the take away food of choice (that or a Gyro) - cheaper and 1000% better than McDonalds

spudco

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2008, 01:12 pm »
When we want lamb, we visit our friends at a middle eastern food store and ask them who has good ones ready for slaughter...

Nothing is better in the spring!

Andrikos

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2008, 01:46 pm »
Andrikos,

I've been looking for 20 years for lamb as good as in Cyprus  :D - haven't found it yet.  Let me know if you do.  When it's bought I most often get it from Trader Joe's (Aussie or Kiwil lamb..sometimes they only have the ribs)

Lamb's gotta' be well cooked...it's such a fatty affair.  They too often undercook it here in the US.

Your ever lovin' Cypriot bud, John  :thumb:

Hey bud, I knew you'd reply especially since I saw your lamburger recipe. Yummy!
I agree that lamb should be well cooked (I like my cow steaks medium rare btw).
But, man, why is there such a difference in flavor?

I kept telling my family here how much better food tastes in CY, that my wife (who's never been there) was becoming less and less inclined to listen.
I gradually believed that I missed CY too much and that EVERYTHING seemed better there, including the water.
When I brought my oldest daughter with me last year, we were both SHOCKED at how much better everything tasted there...
A simple salad with market tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions bathed in EVOO, lemon juice, S&P mopped up with the FANTASTIC bread

was pure rhapsody!
My daughter loved the food so much she still has visions of opening the fridge in the U.S. and seeing CY produce...

I'll definitely let you know if I find anything good... :)
PS The water IS better there... ;)

Andrikos

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2008, 01:47 pm »
When we want lamb, we visit our friends at a middle eastern food store and ask them who has good ones ready for slaughter...

Nothing is better in the spring!

Great idea thanks, I go there for my pumpkin seeds...
I'll try that.

Andrikos

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2008, 01:48 pm »
:drool: Lamb IS everyday meat in Australia and NZ (quite apart from Greece I know) - it is often the cheapest meat there is and the top shelf stuff all stays at home, unlike beef where the best goes straight to Japan...  after all Melbourne is one of the top 5 largest Greek cities, including those in Greece!

so where would I buy top quality Lamb? fresh from the local butcher of course  :D

on the subject of souvlaki, its basically the take away food of choice (that or a Gyro) - cheaper and 1000% better than McDonalds

Cheers mate!
Melbourne must be a crappy place with so many Greeks! hehe!

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2008, 06:23 pm »
We have a farm just down the road that has all natural feed lamb. It's called The Farm Meat Store or The Lamb Shop. I'm thinking they might send out orders (frozen/dry ice) if you ask. Their phone number is: 320-587-6094. It's in Minnesota. It's suppose to be pretty good, but I haven't even made it over there yet....maybe tomorrow.

Wayner

TheChairGuy

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2008, 06:58 pm »
Andrikos,

At least I can get haloumi regularly now...at Whole Foods normally near me (Krinos and sometimes another brand I don't recognize).

Gawd.....frying that haloumi (those of you who are scratchin' yer' heads over what haloumi is  :scratch: it's a native Cypriot cheese that has the consistency of sorbothane, but the taste of heaven!) in the morning is a lovely endeavor  :hyper:

And, no, you are not thinking longingly of Cypriot food...it really is THAT good (last time there was 7 years ago for me)

John

Philistine

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2008, 09:10 pm »
We have a farm just down the road that has all natural feed lamb. It's called The Farm Meat Store or The Lamb Shop. I'm thinking they might send out orders (frozen/dry ice) if you ask. Their phone number is: 320-587-6094. It's in Minnesota. It's suppose to be pretty good, but I haven't even made it over there yet....maybe tomorrow.

Wayner

I really miss lamb living in the US, there's just no culture for it.  The best lamb I tasted was in South Africa out of the Karou desert, so little grazing that the sheep are probably fit and lean running around trying to eat!
Anyway, this looks a good link thanks - I'll give them a try.

Also just found this link:

http://www.americanlambboard.org/html/home/

Andrikos

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2008, 04:04 pm »
Andrikos,

At least I can get haloumi regularly now...at Whole Foods normally near me (Krinos and sometimes another brand I don't recognize).

Gawd.....frying that haloumi (those of you who are scratchin' yer' heads over what haloumi is  :scratch: it's a native Cypriot cheese that has the consistency of sorbothane, but the taste of heaven!) in the morning is a lovely endeavor  :hyper:

And, no, you are not thinking longingly of Cypriot food...it really is THAT good (last time there was 7 years ago for me)

John

Mmm, halloumi.

My daughter is positively addicted to it.
It is fantastic grilled, fried, as is.
I make this bread with cubed halloumi, fresh mint (halloumi has mint leaves folded in it).

You can eat it fresh (white and squeaky!)
or aged which is harder and a light yellow color.
They're both excellent.

If you haven't tried it, go to a mid-east /mediterranean market and buy one (~$5-6 a pound).
It's VERY different from any cheese you ever had and mild enough for kids to enjoy. No blue cheese funkiness here (which I like)

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 25 Aug 2008, 04:34 pm »
Daniels Lamb at farmers market, completely local farm. Great stuff, and when I do not want to cook it I get it in an Embanada. The Embanadas are made by my friend Kim, Argintina style. They are all local ingredients (and organic usually) except maybe corn and chicken, but there a lot of different versions. Everything in them is cooked in cast iron, well seasoned, pots and pans... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD.