Vadar 2 going into current protection with LRS+

gammi

Vadar 2 going into current protection with LRS+
« on: 12 Feb 2024, 04:19 pm »
Hi all, I have a Vadar 2 powering my LRS+ (sounds amazing btw) and a Rythmik F12-400 sub. I'm finding that I'm triggering current protection on the Vidar 2 which should not be the case since many people use this amp with maggies (including Schiit and Magnepan themselves)

So I think the issue is how I have the sub wired. Since the F12-400 model of the sub doesn't have a high level input like the more expensive F12, I'm using this: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-0HwH1y2LGGo/p_210MPSHL/Reviews/Morel-MPS-HL.html high level to low level adapter to connect the output terminals of the Vidar 2 to the RCA low level inputs on the sub. My understanding is the sub should draw very little current since it has its own amp, so I thought this was a fine way to connect everything. But now that I'm hitting current protection, I'm questioning things.

How should I be hooking the sub up, assuming this adapter is the issue? Should I get splitters for the RCA out on my DAC?
Thanks.

mick wolfe

Re: Vadar 2 going into current protection with LRS+
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2024, 04:36 pm »
The first thing I would do is disconnect the sub completely from the system. Now listen to the system with just the Vidar 2 and LRS+ in play. If the Vidar 2 plays fine for hours with the LRS+, then at least you know the sub hookup is the issue.  If the problem still exists sans sub, that's another issue :scratch:

RonN5

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2024, 06:56 pm »
Unfortunately, the Schiit website doesn't mention without a lot of digging that the Vidar 2 has floating grounds for its speaker terminals...which is what more and more class d and differentially balanced class a and class a/b amps have.  Therefore, connecting a sub the way you are doing it is a problem and likely the reason that the amp is tripping.

This is from the Rythmik site:

Can I connect the speaker output from my digital power amplifier to the speaker input of the sub??

Our speaker inputs aredesigned to accept regular single ended power amplifier outputs where the black terminals are the ground. Most digital power amplifiers have complementary outputs. That is, the black terminal is not true ground. This can cause problem problem even when the user accidentally short the black terminals of left and right channels together. Using outputs from complementary output amplifiers not only can damage our amplifier, it can use damage the source power amplifier itself. Please confirm with manufacturer of your digital power amplifier before using speaker level inputs.

To be clear, the Vidar 2 is not a digital amplifier but it has the same floating ground (black terminals not being true ground) configuration as mentioned.

If you had a REL, they have a work around that I don't think will work for the  Rythmik...therefore, the only connection you can make is line level from the preamp output to the subwoofer line level input.

gammi

« Reply #3 on: 12 Feb 2024, 08:56 pm »
That's excellent info, thank you.
I bought some splitters to run RCA from my DAC since I don't have a preamp, my DAC does the volume control.