MMGs - A Pleasant Surprise

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
MMGs - A Pleasant Surprise
« on: 30 Sep 2023, 02:14 pm »
I've had some stereo gear in storage for quite some time and decided today to hook it up to keep everything working okay.
A Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Conrad-Johnson MV2275 amplifier, Rega Apollo CD player, MMGs and Kimber 8TC cables.
I just did a quick lash up (pardon the mess) and expected it to sound pretty bad.
Wrong again - it sounds just fine!
Is it the last word in anything?  No.
But vocals, piano, they're spot on.
And here I was writing off this stuff, that was a mistake.

gary7

Re: MMGs - A Pleasant Surprise
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2023, 02:18 am »
Picked up a pair of MMGs a few weeks ago. Previous owner made some tall stands. Making some shorter stands. Briefly hooked up. Nice sound. Also have a pair of MG-IIIAs.

« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2023, 10:56 pm by gary7 »

ShortBtwnHdset

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2023, 04:00 am »
Wow, those Magnepans' bring back a lot of memories! I sold hifi in Atlanta at a small high end shop, we carried Magnepan and CJ for a while, loved the MGIIIA's, bi-amped they were astounding with a Premier 3 Preamp and Acoustat TNT 120 and 200 amps. I actually sold a friend a pair of MMG's, fun speaker but a bit rolled off as compared to the upper line Maggies. The itch for what that a full length ribbon could do was a hard one to scratch! I did eventually get a set of Apogee's. Wish I still had the space for them!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2023, 09:29 am »
I had MMGs for years, I wish I had kept them, but had a hankering for dynamic speakers.

gary7

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2023, 12:50 pm »
Wow, those Magnepans' bring back a lot of memories! I sold hifi in Atlanta at a small high end shop, we carried Magnepan and CJ for a while, loved the MGIIIA's, bi-amped they were astounding with a Premier 3 Preamp and Acoustat TNT 120 and 200 amps. I actually sold a friend a pair of MMG's, fun speaker but a bit rolled off as compared to the upper line Maggies. The itch for what that a full length ribbon could do was a hard one to scratch! I did eventually get a set of Apogee's. Wish I still had the space for them!
Yep. I've had the MG-IIAs for 6 years. A record for me. Don't see them going anywhere.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2023, 07:51 pm »
I think these MMGs are pushing 30 years old.  Time flies!
They've been back for a refurb because a dog hiked his leg on one.  Thank you...
Other than that, they've been trouble free.  They really responded well to that C-J amp, that is a good pairing.

gary7

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2023, 06:06 pm »
Got the stands together. Will put the MMG on this weekend when I get the room arranged.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2023, 06:48 pm »
MMG will always hold a special place for me.  First planars, first Magnaplanars and best friend liked them more in my room than the 1.6QR's that followed them. 

gary7

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2023, 10:52 pm »
I think these MMGs are pushing 30 years old.  Time flies!
They've been back for a refurb because a dog hiked his leg on one.  Thank you...
Other than that, they've been trouble free.  They really responded well to that C-J amp, that is a good pairing.
Called White Bear lake. According to the SN mine were made in Nov of 2002. So 21 yrs old.
« Last Edit: 3 Oct 2023, 01:03 pm by gary7 »

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2023, 12:45 am »
MMG will always hold a special place for me.  First planars, first Magnaplanars and best friend liked them more in my room than the 1.6QR's that followed them.

I have fond memories of the SMGs I had in the early 80s.  I sold them after a few years (replaced by ADS L1290), but then in 2019 returned to Maggies with the LRS which I’m greatly enjoying.  :thumb:

gary7

« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2023, 03:22 am »
 :thumb:

gary7

« Reply #11 on: 4 Oct 2023, 09:19 pm »
Got the stands on.

« Last Edit: 4 Oct 2023, 11:28 pm by gary7 »

wje

« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2023, 10:17 pm »
Got the stands on.

Looks good.  Which parts did you source to make the stands?