Lampizator and Turntables

Geardaddy

Re: Lampizator and Turntables
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2015, 08:15 pm »
Again, a stimulating thread.  A lot of these perceptions are dictated by system resolution.  Despite being a Lampi B7 owner, I still prefer the higher tiered analog (master tape and vinyl) I have heard.  There is a dynamic ease, density of tone and fluidity that digital cannot simulate no matter the format type or dac used.  I have a fair amount of DSD and even that through the Lampi does not quite get there.  It gets very close.  This all might change as I upgrade my transport, etc.   

I am looking at purchasing a Triangle table at some point.  That will be eye opening....     

dminches

« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2015, 08:20 pm »
Again, a stimulating thread.  A lot of these perceptions are dictated by system resolution.  Despite being a Lampi B7 owner, I still prefer the higher tiered analog (master tape and vinyl) I have heard.  There is a dynamic ease, density of tone and fluidity that digital cannot simulate no matter the format type or dac used.  I have a fair amount of DSD and even that through the Lampi does not quite get there.  It gets very close.  This all might change as I upgrade my transport, etc.   

I am looking at purchasing a Triangle table at some point.  That will be eye opening....     

Do you also find the bass on analog is unequaled?  I do.  Both my turntable and reel to reel reproduce bass deeper and more 3D than any digital source.

*Scotty*

« Reply #42 on: 14 Apr 2015, 08:20 pm »
Given that turntables and cartridges are notoriously colored sources due to any number of physical and electrical factors involved in the record mastering and cutting process and continuing right through the TT, arm/cartridge choice ending perhaps with the phono-stage, how do you know with this many variables in play what the original master tape might sound like.
 It seems to me that vinyl is but a version of the master tape assuming a low stamper number. Perhaps a more meaningful comparison
might be to the original analogue master tape vs the Hi-Rez transfer of the master tape to the medium of your choice. I would tend to favor 24/192 or DSD 128.
 I can't see how this kind of comparison (Lampizator and Turntables) can be anything but an apple and oranges exercise devolving ultimately into a matter of personal preference.
Don't misunderstand me, I run an analogue rig and I enjoy the records I have, but I freely acknowledge that the two sound different and have appealing qualities that are unique to each medium.
Scotty

bonzo75

« Reply #43 on: 14 Apr 2015, 08:25 pm »

Hi, that is what I referred to in my feedback as well, tonality. I would also concur with density. However would also like to know perceptions on soundstage, bass, spaciousness, dynamics, separation, slam, and precision. Also, I personally prefer to judge those last 4 attributes on orchestral, when 40 instruments are thrown in as opposed to 4, and hence my ask of classical in the first post.

g12314

« Reply #44 on: 14 Apr 2015, 09:21 pm »
AMG V12.  I do on occasion.  Depends on the mood.  I am more a Decemberists kind of listener.

Beautiful TT selection, I love the sound from the one at my local dealer.  I fight myself to not upgrade from my ovation setup.  Great music selection too (saw them live a few weeks back here in Chicago).

I'm considering a B7 purchase pending hearing one at Axpona....... the wait is killing me.

bonzo75

« Reply #45 on: 14 Apr 2015, 09:26 pm »

Off track - Have you heard the NAT Audio Pre and Power that the Triangle Art guy stocks? What did you think?

Geardaddy

« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2015, 06:25 pm »
Do you also find the bass on analog is unequaled?  I do.  Both my turntable and reel to reel reproduce bass deeper and more 3D than any digital source.

I do indeed....not sure why that is but it is....

Geardaddy

« Reply #47 on: 15 Apr 2015, 06:33 pm »
Hi, that is what I referred to in my feedback as well, tonality. I would also concur with density. However would also like to know perceptions on soundstage, bass, spaciousness, dynamics, separation, slam, and precision. Also, I personally prefer to judge those last 4 attributes on orchestral, when 40 instruments are thrown in as opposed to 4, and hence my ask of classical in the first post.

In terms of soundstage, spaciousness, separation, and precision digital comes out ahead (presumably due to noise floor reduction?).  Analog has less pixelation and less apparent information that lends itself to spatial cues, but you could argue that its an artificial byproduct of digital reconstruction....

Geardaddy

« Reply #48 on: 15 Apr 2015, 06:34 pm »
Off track - Have you heard the NAT Audio Pre and Power that the Triangle Art guy stocks? What did you think?

I have not.  Tom Vu filled my ears about it particularly the phono stage which he says is one of the best in the world.  I would love to hear it.

I own the Viva Solista currently and that performs admirably....

bonzo75

« Reply #49 on: 15 Apr 2015, 07:47 pm »
I have not.  Tom Vu filled my ears about it particularly the phono stage which he says is one of the best in the world.  I would love to hear it.

I own the Viva Solista currently and that performs admirably....

That is the NAT Audio from Serbia, rated 1 in Germany. Those who have owned both NAT and the others, say they are much better than the high end Lamms, VTLs, Kondos, etc, at a much lower price. You can buy them factory direct, actually, though you lose out on service. For those who like the NATs, the NATs are the Lampis of pre and power amps.

I had the NATs next to the Jadis in my system. Cleaner on separation with orchestral music, each instrument more rounded, and more dynamic. Less airy though, more transparent like it's not there. Give it a try. Power amp are SET monoblocks of 120 - 160w each, class A, valve, but too hot for my London home. Their entry level pre blows apart the ARC 5SE

Geardaddy

« Reply #50 on: 15 Apr 2015, 09:51 pm »
I know that another Londoner who scored some NAT gear (spiritofmusic) and he loves it on his Zu speakers.....

Geardaddy

« Reply #51 on: 16 Apr 2015, 06:46 pm »
For the record, the Lampizator L7 is the dac of choice for analog only types who hate digital.  I think the transport has a big impact on how "close" you can get to recreating "analog" sound (density, fluidity, ease, etc).....that and the digital cable.  The Auralic Aries is great but I feel I can take things much further with other higher end alternatives....

dminches

« Reply #52 on: 16 Apr 2015, 06:51 pm »
For the record, the Lampizator L7 is the dac of choice for analog only types who hate digital.  I think the transport has a big impact on how "close" you can get to recreating "analog" sound (density, fluidity, ease, etc).....that and the digital cable.  The Auralic Aries is great but I feel I can take things much further with other higher end alternatives....

When you say "transport" are you including computers/music servers, or just optical drives?

Gopher

« Reply #53 on: 16 Apr 2015, 07:39 pm »
Audiocrack's GG is in his secondary system, not in his primary, and he has never compared it with the Trinity (he mentioned this on WBF) and doubt he would have with Walker based on the same logic. Also his GG i fairly new and still burning in.

That said, I have compared the  B7 to the Trinity and for me the B7 was better on every track with distance increasing considerably on orchestral. But yes, Audiocrack is a good person to compare it at some point though I believe his TT set up will be super expensive. We need to find the B7 equivalent of a TT

Very cool statement to read publicly!  I know behind the scenes a number of guys have compared them and preferred the Lampi, but they've been hesitant to put their findings in the public space.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #54 on: 16 Apr 2015, 07:49 pm »
Given that turntables and cartridges are notoriously colored sources due to any number of physical and electrical factors involved in the record mastering and cutting process and continuing right through the TT, arm/cartridge choice ending perhaps with the phono-stage, how do you know with this many variables in play what the original master tape might sound like.
 It seems to me that vinyl is but a version of the master tape assuming a low stamper number. Perhaps a more meaningful comparison
might be to the original analogue master tape vs the Hi-Rez transfer of the master tape to the medium of your choice. I would tend to favor 24/192 or DSD 128.
 I can't see how this kind of comparison (Lampizator and Turntables) can be anything but an apple and oranges exercise devolving ultimately into a matter of personal preference.
Don't misunderstand me, I run an analogue rig and I enjoy the records I have, but I freely acknowledge that the two sound different and have appealing qualities that are unique to each medium.
Scotty

Exactly Scotty. Well said.  Whilst I am here having a digital source sound like vinyl is plain a waste oof time. However getting one's source to sound more like the truth of live unamplified music should be the goal. Color is as color does.  :thumb:

charles

Geardaddy

« Reply #55 on: 17 Apr 2015, 01:50 am »
When you say "transport" are you including computers/music servers, or just optical drives?

Both but I use computers at this point...

Geardaddy

« Reply #56 on: 17 Apr 2015, 02:48 am »

Exactly Scotty. Well said.  Whilst I am here having a digital source sound like vinyl is plain a waste oof time. However getting one's source to sound more like the truth of live unamplified music should be the goal. Color is as color does.  :thumb:

charles

That goes without saying.  Live, non-amplified music is not pixelated and schizophrenic.  It comes at you as a fluid whole.  I think a lot of that experience at the source level is dictated by sound engineering and the recording medium.  The same analogophiles who think digital is the devil's work also feel the same way about modern recording methods.  Just ask an old school recording engineer about Protools and watch them have a seizure.... 

Geardaddy

« Reply #57 on: 17 Apr 2015, 03:05 am »
Very cool statement to read publicly!  I know behind the scenes a number of guys have compared them and preferred the Lampi, but they've been hesitant to put their findings in the public space.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

A blinded shootout would be good as I have heard contrary opinions.  The Audioexotics crew was approached by the Lampi dealer in Hong Kong about a shoutout and they scoffed....

On a similar note, the recent AE show in Hong Kong had an almost 7 figure show system that was fronted by the Trinity dac, and when they converted to vinyl the speaker designer and several others in the room exclaimed that the music had finally arrived (private communication).  I have other audio acquaintances who own big dollar vinyl rigs and who have heard the Lampizator 7 in several different settings and still love their vinyl.  For me personally, owning both would be ideal...

Berto

« Reply #58 on: 17 Apr 2015, 03:21 am »
A blinded shootout would be good as I have heard contrary opinions.  The Audioexotics crew was approached by the Lampi dealer in Hong Kong about a shoutout and they scoffed....

On a similar note, the recent AE show in Hong Kong had an almost 7 figure show system that was fronted by the Trinity dac, and when they converted to vinyl the speaker designer and several others in the room exclaimed that the music had finally arrived (private communication).  I have other audio acquaintances who own big dollar vinyl rigs and who have heard the Lampizator 7 in several different settings and still love their vinyl.  For me personally, owning both would be ideal...

When comparing totally diff mediums at least have a price point in mind. A 100k vinyl rig with the best pressings is going to beat digital I presume and at 10x the price of a B7 it should be staggering IMO. The vinyl guys that play in the 5-10k area, what are they achieving in relation to SOTA in digital at that same price point? That to me is a much more valid question, then talking merely about the 1% of the world and there 6 and some 7 fig rigs.

bonzo75

« Reply #59 on: 17 Apr 2015, 05:19 am »

I assume the 7 figure system would be with Cessaro speakers?