Still ordering CD from Amazon.com? Think again...

95bcwh

« on: 5 Feb 2006, 09:21 am »
http://www.yourmusic.com/

Just in case you're not aware, this site sell music at very good price.... only $5.99  per CD incl. shipping! The catch is you must order one CD a month.

Can anyone point me to a better place to buy CDs?

cheers
RV

jasonc

« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2006, 01:51 pm »
www.amazon.com

Unlike the site you just recommended they carry every artist.

Watson

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2006, 08:55 pm »
YourMusic is a good service, though their selection is somewhat limited.

The one thing that concerns me is that artists receive virtually no royalties from albums purchased this way.  Because YourMusic is classified as a "record club" technically, most artists receive only 50% of the royalties they would normally get, and that 50% is typically calculated on only 85% of sales.

Setting aside major artists (who often have obnoxious attitudes or greed issues), I kind of feel uneasy with YourMusic, since my savings are being subsidized more off the backs of the artists, while the record companies are making the same kind of money as before.

Gordy

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2006, 09:38 pm »
Quote from: Watson

The one thing that concerns me is that artists receive virtually no royalties from albums purchased this way ...

This would preclude your purchasing LP's and  CD's from used dealers as well?  Probably 50% of my purchaces these days have been of used CD's from Amazon or local used shops, mostly Amazon.

It's always been my belief that artists get ripped off by the RC's and really don't make much money from sales anyway... I'm always reading/hearing comments that bands are touring to make their living.  I'm refering to the vast majority of artists/acts out there, not the lucky/commercial few with huge contracts...

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2006, 09:45 pm »
That's my impression as well (what Gordy said).  I buy a lot of used CDs from half.com.  The RC's can kiss my ___.  They have got the artists by the balls and are pretty ruthless and then they want us to feel sorry for the artists that are getting ripped off by illegal downloads?  How about the rape and pillaging that they are doing to the artists and the consumers to begin with.....

Sorry, end of rant.

Gordy

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2006, 01:57 am »
I forgot to mention... Yourmusic has a few sacd's scattered about for $5.99 as well!  I picked up 2 (1 in the queue) Sir Colin/LSO Live's  8)

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2006, 02:00 am »
A better deal might be to simply join BMG's Music Service.

www.bmgmusicservice.com

You get 12 for the price of one plus the peron that refers you gets 5 free.

For $65  otal ($18 plus $2.79 per for shipping) you get 17 CDs or under $4 per CD.

If you exclude the 5 your friend gets it about $5 per CD.

If you are clever instead of 12 for the price of one you can get 15 for the price of one.

Then during one of their frequent sales you can get CDs for $5.99 each including shipping, no commitments.

Beat that!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2006, 02:55 am »
Wasn't BMG purchased by Sony, though?  If so there's a good chance you can expect malware on any title you buy.  I'm a bit leery of buying any BMG products anymore (except SACDs that will never see the inside of my PC drive anyway).

I buy music mostly from Amazon and HB Direct, with a smattering of purchases from J&R, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds & Elusive Disc.  Plus the few things I can find locally.

I like buying used, but the selection locally is pretty spotty.  Plenty of mass market pop stuff, but listen to almost none of those "artists."

fiveoclockfriday

BMG
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2006, 03:26 am »
I just wanted to write a short response regarding BMG Music. I have been a member for about 7 years now, and I've bought probably close to 200 cds through them. If you are careful about the sales and things, you can always get albums for ~7 or 8 including shipping, sometimes a bit less if you can make a large order.
I have personally had no problems with them, aside from getting the wrong albums on a couple occasions. When that happened, they credited my account for postage and quickly replaced the title no questions asked.
The one snag people run into is that every month you have a featured selection. If you don't say no, you are automatically sent this cd and charged for it, and you get 2 free cds in addition. I have my account set up to simply email me when the featured selection comes in, and it takes me all of 2 minutes once a month to say " no thank you ". But, if you're not careful you'll get these cds, which are always full (ie ridiculously) priced.

gitarretyp

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2006, 03:39 am »
yourmusic is part of bmg. They just offer a constant rate rather than the various rates of bmg.

95bcwh

« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2006, 04:36 am »
I'm also a member of BMGMusic for almost a year... I have only seen it once where albums are on-sale at 70% discount with free shipping. The average cost per CD for the 1st year is indeed around $5 to $5.50. After that it's around $7 to $8 per CD.

One thing I hate about this BMG is they keep disturbing me every month asking me to respond yes or no to their feature selections. Sometimes I was away for two weeks and didn't have to to respond, they would just send me something that I don't want and charge me $25 per CD.

$25 per CD??!!?? I guess they really think that I'm an idiot..... :nono:

robertwb

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2006, 05:01 am »
I have been a BMG member twice and IMO that automatic selection should be an option- when I was in the army and never knew when I'd be gone they still said they wouldn't stop sending automatic selections at first but eventually they did give in and only sent what I ordered

fast forward about 10 yrs and I joined again-not in the army anymore- and the same BS that they wouldn't stop sending automatic selections-I just kept putting them back in the mail box marked return to sender and whatdoyaknow after a couple months THEY notified me that I wouldn't be receiving anymore selection of the month discs-would have been easier if they would just listen to their customers in the first place

now I mostly buy either used or from CDBaby but I'm also a member at yourmusic but it's hard to find selections I want from them most times

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2006, 03:33 pm »
Looks like BMG has a third choice as well. 3 for $18? with free shipping. (I didn't read the fine print)

http://www.myplaymusic.com/docs/legal/about.html

skrivis

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2006, 06:52 pm »
I've placed orders with CDUniverse and had good luck, but I usually just stick with a vendor from Amazon.

http://www.cduniverse.com/

ricmon

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2006, 07:04 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
That's my impression as well (what Gordy said).  I buy a lot of used CDs from half.com.  The RC's can kiss my ___.  They have got the artists by the balls and are pretty ruthless and then they want us to feel sorry for the artists that are getting ripped off by illegal downloads?  How about the rape and pillaging that they are doing to the artists and the consumers to begin with.....

Sorry, end of rant.

check out cdbaby.  they’re a artist driven site that partners with and split the sale with the artist (not the profits).  I have bought several cd's from them based only on the samples on there site and all have been winners for musical and record quality.

http://cdbaby.com/

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #15 on: 6 Feb 2006, 07:04 pm »
If you do not mind used, secondspin.com is very good - you can order used from what is in stock at very good prices. Shipping is inexpensive. Never had a problem.

Also I order used from Amazon, which means through affiliated sites. You can get burned on shipping though, especially if you order from multiple companies, so make sure you check shipping.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2006, 05:00 am »
I've had good luck with CDBaby & Secondspin.com, too.

Gordy

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2006, 06:01 am »
I really like CDBaby as well, I've picked up several very nice cd's fitting my ambient/experimental/electronic/celtic/symphonic rock/blah blah interests.  Their Emails and shipment notices are always interesting too  :lol:

SecondSpin... is that the new name for Django's Music???

michaelv

« Reply #18 on: 10 Feb 2006, 07:09 pm »
However, you will need to buy at least one cd per month . It's some sort of long term contract to me.