Rickie Lee Jones- The Evening of My Best Day

lcrim

« on: 3 Dec 2005, 09:31 pm »
I can't stop listening to this CD.  It was released in 2003 but its new to me. I'm not a big Rickie Lee Jones fan but good is good and this is better than good.  It sounds better every time I listen to it.  I liked her first CD  and I realize that "Pirates" has reached mastrpiece status but I never could quite get into it, (freaking depressing) but this one I need to recommend to others.

arthurs

« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2005, 11:15 pm »
It is a good disc.  Right now I have Gary Jules "Trading Snakeoil for Wolftickets" stuck in rotation.....

DeadFish

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2005, 12:40 am »
Thanks for the recommendation, Larry.
Absolutely loved her first album and kinda lost interest after that.
I'll have to give it a listen!

Regards,
DF

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2005, 03:52 am »
Hi Icrim,

Is it a good quality recording?  I've been buying duds lately.

Regards

Rod

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2005, 10:19 am »
Rod:
Very high quality, production values are on a par w/ the material.  I use PC audio but the CD is good too.
Her work is always original and never mainstream, perhaps she is an acquired taste.  
I like this CD a lot and wanted to pass it on.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2005, 11:01 am »
Hi Icrim,

I actually have one of her first albums on lp which after all these years still sounds very good.

I find it funny that i've spent so much money on equipment and it is difficult to get software that sounds good and i like to listen to.

I'll pick one up next week and let you know what i think of it.  Btw Derrin Nauendorf is an australian singer and his cd's sound very good and you might like his music.  Here is a link:

http://www.derrinnauendorf.com/home.html

Regards

Rod

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2005, 04:06 pm »
Quote from: Rocket
Hi Icrim,

I actually have one of her first albums on lp which after all these years still sounds very good.

I find it funny that i've spent so much money on equipment and it is difficult to get software that sounds good and i like to listen to.

I'll pick one up next week and let you know what i think of it.  Btw Derrin Nauendorf is an australian singer and his cd's sound very good and you might like his music.  Here is a link:

http://www.derrinnauendorf.com/home.html

Regards

Rod

Hey Rod, Derrin sounds interesting.
How much is 15 pounds?  Anyone know of US distribution?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2005, 04:50 pm »
The Evening Of My Best Day is a VERY good album indeed, at least IMHO.  I'm a big RLJ fan, but admit that I missed this one until last year.  Another hidden gem for me is her Traffic From Paradise album; incredibly recorded and an interesting mix of stuff.  Even though I had this cd for years I just recently discovered its qualities.  It has stayed in rotation for months!!.  Finally, and maybe cuz I was on a real RLJ kick when I discovered Traffic from Paradise, I gave Pop Pop another try.  It's a very acquired taste, but the recording quality, and the acoustic bass lines from Charlie Haden are terrific.  Although the closing song is a weird choice for a light jazz/pop collection (A Marty Balin song, Comin Back To Me) it's great, again IMHO.  A very nice acoustic album.

hifitommy

agreed
« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2005, 06:17 pm »
a VERY good album, and for RLJ too.  there isnt much of the droning whine she afflicts on most of her records.  quite a nice variety of well performed tunes.

if you have tired of her sustained whine, this disc could convince you to reconsider some of your position.  yeah, shes an acquired taste but this time its easier.

hershey 22

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2005, 07:42 pm »
Very ironic I haven't checked the Music Circle for awhile and as we speak I am listening to Pirates.  Outstanding disc.  Evening of my Best Day is even better.  Her voice can be an acquired taste but if you give it a chance you will be rewarded.  You are right EOMBD gets better every time you listen to it.  It is a better recorded piece than Pirates but of course look at the time difference.  :D