A request for Danny - LS Center Channel Kit

Nick77

Re: A request for Danny - LS Center Channel Kit
« Reply #20 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:48 pm »
I have been pestering Danny for a couple of years about building a behemoth center.  :wink:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #21 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:55 pm »
I should clarify -- sad in that it would be nice to have the center channel's veneer be a perfect match for the LS's.

Hey Aaron,

I've put in an inquiry with the original source of the "Moho" veneer.

I'll let you guys know what I find out! :thumb:

Thanks,

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 9 Feb 2011, 11:57 pm »
The "idea" for an "LS Center" goes back YEARS!!! :P

Ruben

skeeter99

« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:10 am »
I wonder if this would be a better match to the Mini's than the X-Voce  :scratch:  That is REALLY big, but I might be able to figure a way to make it work :) I'd still love a matching center for the Mini's but that's another thread altogether.

aaron smithski

« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:25 am »
aaron smithski - I am still trying to hunt down some of the 'moho' veneer to this day.  So far it seems that there are Eastern Indian Laurel veneers that come close, but typically dont have the same coloring, cut pattern and sap stripe.  If I can find some, it will be bought that instant.  This website shows some with nearly the same coloring as what are speakers are, but most East indian laurel I have found is much darker... http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/laurel.htm

Hey Aaron,

Thanks,

Ruben

Yeah, I remember reading comments from Santiago on the Moho (where they source it, etc.) but I don't remember where it was -- probably on the defunct site but he does post here on Audiocircle too.

I've considered getting rid of the LS6's because of the center issue, but I've grown attached to them and would miss them if they were gone. They have a fairly impressive list of strengths.  :)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:56 am »
I may be interested depending on the final specs (I would think ported would match better?), and of course, also keeping the final price as a major factor - I already have 3 centers.  :oops:

Be nice to see what a rendering looks like, and of course, impressions on how well it matches the LS6'es (as opposed to the x-voce).

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:59 am »
I should be able to match all of the standard veneer and finish options that the LS's came in. Of course, I still need to hear back on the Moho before I can comfirm that one.

Thanks,

Ruben

rseynaev

« Reply #27 on: 10 Feb 2011, 05:35 am »
Beatcoaster - thanks for posting this!

Sorry to hear the Trinity didn't match with your LS6s so well.  Glad you and Scott were able to test this out for me - saved myself (and Hugh) time and money for sending me an A-Stock unit to test and return!

Danny's idea for the LS Center sounds great! 

So who is going to be building these?  I need one in a nice Piano Black please :)  Any idea on what one of these would cost?

Thanks!
Randy (Vancouver, WA)

Beatcoaster

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:14 am »
Awesome!! I am beyond eager to hear what you find out Ruben...like waiting by the keyboard pressing F5 excited..;)

Hey Aaron,

Thanks,

Ruben

doug067

« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2011, 06:29 am »
Yes. Really Interested. Kit and cabinet  :thumb:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:50 am »
So who is going to be building these?  I need one in a nice Piano Black please :)

Hi Randy,

You will be able to order the "LS-C" directly through Fallen Enclosures as a complete ready to play unit.

Piano Black will certainly be one of the finish options.

Matching "X" style stands will be available as well.

I will not be ready to provide pricing info until after I have one "on the books".

Thanks!

Ruben
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2011, 12:51 am by Outofthewoods »

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:03 pm »
For six of the M-130X woofers and a Neo3pdr you are looking at $297.50 Then some PSP ports, tube connectors, wiring, crossover parts etc, it is likely to end up in the $450 range give or take.

jparkhur

« Reply #32 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:10 pm »
You wonder if Large Companies, with so many people could have customer support and discussions like this, with everyone putting in their ideas and coming out with something that most likely will help a large group.. This is the reason I buy from smaller companies with true consumer support. I don't even mind not getting free shipping... ha..  Maybe DR will get a facebook page next, or tweet....   Thanks Danny.

skeeter99

« Reply #33 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:59 pm »
For six of the M-130X woofers and a Neo3pdr you are looking at $297.50 Then some PSP ports, tube connectors, wiring, crossover parts etc, it is likely to end up in the $450 range give or take.

That's a great price for a center to match the LS'. If it comes even close to that I think you're going to make A LOT of people really happy!!

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #34 on: 10 Feb 2011, 03:50 pm »
The problem (one of them any way) is that it is not practical to use the Neo 8 as single units.

I know a side laying array would be really cool too but in order to keep a good horizontal coverage you have to keep the acoustic centers really close to each other or the woofers just cancel each other out on the horizontal plane. This is why the N3S works pretty well as a center channel as the acoustic centers are close.

And using the Neo 3 pdr works really well. And the N3S matches the LS's really well too.

If you guys want I can do something like the N3S but in a small array. How about six M-130X woofers in an array with the Neo 3 pdr in the middle. I can then cross only the two center woofers over to the tweeter to keep the acoustic centers close. Then I can allow the outer four woofers to share the load in the bottom end only.

I think I could make that work. How does that sound?

That would be 48.75" long and 8" tall. Ports can be used in the rear or it could be sealed.

Sounds a bit like the ol' RA8! Just pdr instead of ribbon... very cool.
Could be 2 channel alternative as well...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/raw-acoustics-ra-8-speakers-2-2006-part-1.html

Danny Richie

« Reply #35 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:12 pm »
Sounds a bit like the ol' RA8! Just pdr instead of ribbon... very cool.
Could be 2 channel alternative as well...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/raw-acoustics-ra-8-speakers-2-2006-part-1.html

That was a great speaker, but that one was a true 3-way design.

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:24 pm »
Maybe DR will get a facebook page next, or tweet....   Thanks Danny.

I do have a FB acount that I use only on a personal level and am a bit garded as to my friends.

However, I have really been considering a GR Research facebook acount.

jparkhur

« Reply #37 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:32 pm »
Danny,   Just a GR FB account.   

skeeter99

« Reply #38 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:36 pm »
I do have a FB acount that I use only on a personal level and am a bit garded as to my friends.

Very wise, you never know what creepy people might want to be your friend  :green:

Scott

rseynaev

« Reply #39 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:38 pm »
Hi Randy,

You will be able to order the "LS-C" directly through Fallen Enclosures as a complete ready to play unit.

Piano Black will certainly be one of the finish options.

Matching stands will be available as well.

I will not be ready to provide pricing info until after I have one "on the books".

Thanks!

Ruben

Thanks.  Please let me know when this will be "orderable".

Randy