The TRL Dude is in the house!

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: The TRL Dude is in the house!
« Reply #160 on: 19 Nov 2011, 06:22 pm »
You can not go wrong with a doiley and a nice geranium set on top.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

doug s.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #161 on: 20 Nov 2011, 04:53 pm »

jtwrace:

I don't want to derail the Dude glow but I am wondering if you can share how you are using your Metric Halo to actively crossover your speakers? I have not seen any crossover options and the largest slope in the e.q. drops down 20 db max.

Regarding the Dude, can you say the imaging is SET like, as in individual images being 3D?

Thanks,

Rocket_Ronny

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #162 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:54 pm »
jtwrace:

I don't want to derail the Dude glow but I am wondering if you can share how you are using your Metric Halo to actively crossover your speakers? I have not seen any crossover options and the largest slope in the e.q. drops down 20 db max.
I'm not using the LIO-8 as an active crossover for my speakers.  There are many that do though.  If you just use +DSP then you can.
http://mhsecure.com/metric_halo/products/hardware/dsp.html

I'm in the process of using it for the active of my subs to mains.  Mains run full range per Dr. Geddes.  I use a DCX now and it works fine but I'm curious to know how this will do it and also takes another piece out of the loop.  The plug-in to do this is already built in as many are.  This is a very powerful unit...many reasons why so many pros use it for mastering and live on site recording.  Member Barry Diament uses one in his studio and in the field.  Have you seen his credits?   :o 
http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/credits.htm

Regarding the Dude, can you say the imaging is SET like, as in individual images being 3D?
I'm not so sure that's how I'd describe it.  If that's your way of describing what reporoduced music should sound like compared to live then sure.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #163 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:24 pm »

Thanks for sharing.

It would be nice if Metric Halo would make dedicated croosover software for their boxes. I think I should send them an email as such.

Live music can sound many different ways depending on how the musicians are setup and how far one sits from the musicians. However, the extra 3D effect of set amps sure makes it fun.

Rocket_Ronny

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #164 on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:46 pm »
Thanks for sharing.

It would be nice if Metric Halo would make dedicated croosover software for their boxes. I think I should send them an email as such.

Rocket_Ronny
You can do whatever you want to with the crossover and the LIO. 

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #165 on: 20 Nov 2011, 10:45 pm »

So you are saying there is a dedicated crossover in the DSP! I must have missed that.  :o

Rocket_Ronny

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #166 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:44 am »
So you are saying there is a dedicated crossover in the DSP! I must have missed that.  :o

Rocket_Ronny

Well, +DSP is and can do just about everything.  Spectrafoo is also the measurement software if one wants to use it all built in.  There are many many options but you need to read all about them as there is SO much it can do.  Powerful!

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #167 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:22 pm »

Here is Metric Halo's response about using their boxes to do crossovers.

"The +DSP license includes the Band Split plugin, which is ideal for crossovers.  It provides a 24 dB/Octave Linkwitz Rielly filter with perfect phase reconstruction.  The crossover frequency can be selected manually, and multiple plugins can be instantiated for more complex crossover setups."

Cool   8)

Rocket_Ronny

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #168 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:28 pm »
Here is Metric Halo's response about using their boxes to do crossovers.

"The +DSP license includes the Band Split plugin, which is ideal for crossovers.  It provides a 24 dB/Octave Linkwitz Rielly filter with perfect phase reconstruction.  The crossover frequency can be selected manually, and multiple plugins can be instantiated for more complex crossover setups."

Cool   8)

Rocket_Ronny

Yep.  As I mentioned earlier, +DSP can do anything.

When does yours arrive?   :P

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #169 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:33 pm »

I am  :duh:  to say I own both the 2882 and ULN2 and have upgraded both to DSP.

Rocket_Ronny

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #170 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:34 pm »
I am  :duh:  to say I own both the 2882 and ULN2 and have upgraded both to DSP.

Rocket_Ronny

You do?  cool

You might consider selling them and getting a LIO as the Dac has improved a bunch from what I've read.

Rocket_Ronny

• ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #171 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:48 pm »

I bought them to do recording and need the mike pres.

Yes, the ad and da converters are supposed to be world class. I know the converters used in the older ULN2 and 2882 are very good.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.  :wink:

Rocket_Ronny

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #172 on: 21 Nov 2011, 07:51 pm »
I bought them to do recording and need the mike pres.

Yes, the ad and da converters are supposed to be world class. I know the converters used in the older ULN2 and 2882 are very good.

Rocket_Ronny

Then you need the ULN-8 or buy the LIO and you can upgrade it over time to the ULN.  OR you can come use my unit.   :wink:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #173 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:28 pm »
Post removed
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2011, 09:41 pm by jtwrace »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #174 on: 24 Nov 2011, 12:25 pm »
A nice TRL amp to go with a Dude for sale in my neck of the woods:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1327153109&/Tube-Research-Labs-D225-TRL-tr

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #175 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:17 pm »
A nice TRL amp to go with a Dude for sale in my neck of the woods:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1327153109&/Tube-Research-Labs-D225-TRL-tr
it cracks me up how disingenuous some seller's ads can be:

"I'm only selling it because I'm going to an integrated amplifier."
and (yes - same ad!):
"I would consider a trade (or partial trade) for...  ...possibly a decent stereo amp, Belles, McCormack, etc."
 :roll:  :lol:

i have never heard this amp, but word is it's a rally nice s/s amp and appeals to those that like tube amps.

doug s.

jackman

« Reply #176 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:38 pm »
it cracks me up how disingenuous some seller's ads can be:

"I'm only selling it because I'm going to an integrated amplifier."
and (yes - same ad!):
"I would consider a trade (or partial trade) for...  ...possibly a decent stereo amp, Belles, McCormack, etc."
 :roll:  :lol:

i have never heard this amp, but word is it's a rally nice s/s amp and appeals to those that like tube amps.

doug s.

He's selling his amp, which he supposedly loves, because he is going to an integrated but is willing to trade for another stereo amp?  Maybe he needs something with more power or maybe he just wants to try something different.  I checked out the guy's other items and he did sell his preamp...so maybe he actually did switch to an integrated.  Maybe he needs the cash because the ad says partial trade, so I assume he wants to get some $$$ along with the amp in the trade. 

The strangest thing, IMO, is the fact that these TUBE RESEARCH LABS amplifiers are Solid State.  Shouldn't it be SSRL?   :scratch:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #177 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:44 pm »
He's selling his amp, which he supposedly loves, because he is going to an integrated but is willing to trade for another stereo amp?  Maybe he needs something with more power or maybe he just wants to try something different.  I checked out the guy's other items and he did sell his preamp...so maybe he actually did switch to an integrated.  Maybe he needs the cash because the ad says partial trade, so I assume he wants to get some $$$ along with the amp in the trade. 

The strangest thing, IMO, is the fact that these TUBE RESEARCH LABS amplifiers are Solid State.  Shouldn't it be SSRL?   :scratch:
hey, i have no problem w/anyone selling something cuz they wanna try something else - isn't that what we all do?   :lol:  but, why make something up - even if the guy wants an integrated, it's obvious that isn't the only reason he wants to sell his amp.  i guess technically, he's being upfront, cuz he's admitting in the same ad that his first statement isn't completely true.   8)

doug s.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #178 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:48 pm »
hey, i have no problem w/anyone selling something cuz they wanna try something else - isn't that what we all do?   :lol:  but, why make something up - even if the guy wants an integrated, it's obvious that isn't the only reason he wants to sell his amp.

doug s.

As long as the equipment is as advertised, it doesn't matter one bit why the guy is selling.

People get so hung up on why another person is selling something because they lack confidence in their choices and/or have a "herd like" mentality.  At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own!!

George 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #179 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:51 pm »
Amen!