Isolation questions

pjnad

Isolation questions
« on: 8 Feb 2012, 01:26 am »
Steve,
I'm planning on placing another order soon...another set of iso cups for under my pre and some other items, which I need to ask about: I bought a maple block to go on the rack under the pre, I'm thinking of putting a few thin fat dots between the block and the rack - good idea?
also, my rack has metal legs of which the bottom that meets the floor ( hardwood) narrow into a conical shape, not quite spikes...I 'm thinking of using hush puckies as an interface. There are six legs and I would put one under each. I'm guessing the total weight of the rack w/ equipment is between 150-200 lbs. would they work? By the way, I don't need the gliders as the rack is definitely stationary.
Thanks,
Paul Nadler

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Isolation questions
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2012, 02:07 am »
Sure, Paul. Thin grungebuster Dots under the maple block is a good idea, though most people use regular grungebuster Dots as a decoupling/isolation interface between a maple block and rack shelf. Four 1'-diameter Dots is usually ideal (extra-thick is sometimes best under a maple block supporting a turntable). Thin Dots might be all you need though if the vibrational environment is not severe.

Hush Puckies will work under the rack. To isolate the whole rack and components, you might want more "beef" though, especially if they're on a suspended hardwood floor. You might consider Fat Grounding Bases instead.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

pjnad

Re: Isolation questions
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2012, 03:03 am »
Thanks Steve,
I'll take your suggestions...I guess the difference is still sort of within budget  :roll: I don't believe that the floor is suspended, it's in an addition and I believe it's over a poured concrete base...but having the extra"beef" under the rack can't hurt. I have the hush puckies under my VR4 speaker spikes with nice results...