Klaus, Marbles, anyone?! - Audible Illusion m3a and Stratos

Beezer

Is anyone out there using an Audible Illusions M3A with their Stratos amp (dual-mono ideally)?  How does it sound?  I'm considering upgrading to this preamp, but am concerned about it's output impedance of 1.2Kohm.

Thanks,
Steve

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2003, 10:39 pm »
Tyson is using this combo and likes it quite a bit.
Of course, he's upgrading to a $7k preamp........

I'll let him comment.

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2003, 10:51 pm »
Tyson,

Since Brad brought the subject up -- any comment on that new PreAmp yet?

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2003, 10:54 pm »
Steve,

I have been using a AI M3A with the Stratos for over a year.  A great combination.  Matched with Groneberg Quattro reference IC's and speaker cables a very tough combination to beat IMHO.  

If you go with the AI, strongly encourage replacing the stock Sovtek 6992 tubes with NOS tubes.  I particularly enjoy the Tungsram tubes.

Yummy! :D
NB

BikeWNC

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2003, 11:13 pm »
Well, OK then, if we MUST.   :(

Beezer

Cool
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2003, 12:17 am »
Ah yes, Tyson has the AI.  Sorry about that, Marbles.  

Nature Boy, thanks for your input.  As a fellow vinylphile, your opinion resonates!  I've been thinking about buying a Wright preamp new, which is also supposed to have a great phono stage, but I can't imagine it is much better than the AI.

Beez

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2003, 12:18 am »
Heh, I'm still at work, and will be for a while :-(  As soon as I get it home I'll hook up the new pre.

As to the original question, the DM Stratos and the AI are one of those combo's that just "work", not just a good match, but a GREAT match, IMO.  If there was a flaw or weakness in the pairing of these two, my RM40's would let me know, post haste!  

If you couldn't tell, I really like this combo.  So much so, that I'm a bit skeptical that the Symphonic Line Erleuchtung is actually going to be a big improvement.  Klause swears it will be, and I have no reason to doubt him, but dangit the system sounds so good right now!

Anyway, I can only afford to keep one of these 2 preamps, so if you see my AI up for sale in a couple of days, you'll know whether I thought the SL pre was better  :D

cjr888

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2003, 01:03 am »
Curiosity -- what is the input impedance of the amplifier?

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2003, 01:22 am »
Quote from: cjr888
Curiosity -- what is the input impedance of the amplifier?

Not sure about the DM but my stereo Stratos measured 18K ohms.

Beezer

18 kohms
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2003, 01:38 am »
I like the 18 kOhms better -- 15:1 ratio.

Beez

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2003, 02:30 am »
Got home, no package :-(  Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. . .

jcoat007

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2003, 03:06 am »
FWIW

Klaus has told me a couple of times that the Odyssey amps are 10k ohms.

EProvenzano

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2003, 03:49 am »
I know that Klaus and Symphonic Line are not much into stats or publishing them ...but really, what could it hurt?
I don't mean to stirr up any old issues but it sure is tough when I visit my local shops looking at preamps and I can't even tell the consultants what the input imp. of my amp is :|  
So reluctantly I tell them it's 10kohm (but likely higher), and the dealers shoo me away telling me that this load is too difficult for their tube amps to drive. Just a bit of a hassle is all. I know that the Stratos is easily driven and I'm currently running it with an SFL-1 with no problems what so ever.

BR,
EP

Beezer

done
« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2003, 04:30 pm »
I bought the AI M3A last night and should have it by the end of next week.  It will be replacing a CJ 10B and I'm hoping will be a significant improvement, although the 10B was pretty damn solid and made good music.  Can you say "Anticipation" :? !?!?

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and observations!

Beez