Vinyl Thoughts

95Dyna

Re: Vinyl Thoughts
« Reply #60 on: 14 Jun 2010, 03:23 am »
When I was auditioning various audio systems, one experience really stands out. I auditioned a system that sounded quite lifeless - to me anyway. The dealer inquired if I wanted to hear some vinyl before I left and I said sure. It was a Michell Turntable with a tube pre-amplifier.

The system actually came to life and I was very impressed - the TT made the difference in the sound quality - I should also mention that the CD player was not an inexpensive unit.

Although I do not own a TT at this time - the  Michell Turntable out-performed the CD player. I would be curious to see how my Esoteric compared to a TT. Bill - if you read this, add your $.02 WRT your X-05 to your TT :thumb:

Be well…

Hi Andy, I assume by Bill you mean me since we just discussed this yesterday or so.  I just installed my new VPI Classic/Benz Micro Wood SL/Ray Samuels audio F-117 Nighthawk and have experienced a startup problem.  I'm getting no sound from the left channel in stereo but when I switch the BP26 to mono I get both channels.  So, in mono with the new phono stage, tonearm cable and TT motor not broken in I got out one of my hundreds of vinyl prize possesions, Chicago Transit Authority circa 1968 (the band later known simpley as Chicago).  This album contains one of my favorite songs of my lifetime entitled "Beginnings".  The experience brought tears to my eyes and shivers up and down my spine.  I saw the original band perform this song live in 1970 and didn't get a feeling this intense and emotional.

This VPI/Benz rig is pulling stuff out of the grooves I'ver never heard on a CD so ryanz I'd pay close attention to Elizabeth's advice if I were you and shun the naysayers who are banging their heads against the wall trying to make sense of how to successfully download, store, organize, access and playback a hi rez digital file.  You should read about some of the agony they are experiencing expressed on numerous other threads to balance out the vinyl nuances they are pointing out here.  As I said previously I feel hoodwinked that I have spent over 25 years paying little attention to my vinyl collection.

BTW, this isn't my first TT.  I'm retiring my 35 year old Thorens TD 160.  I should also add that the X-05 plays SACD and the difference between SACD and Vinyl is not as great as it is between CD and vinyl.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #61 on: 14 Jun 2010, 01:15 pm »
Hi Andy, I assume by Bill you mean me since we just discussed this yesterday or so.  I just installed my new VPI Classic/Benz Micro Wood SL/Ray Samuels audio F-117 Nighthawk and have experienced a startup problem.  I'm getting no sound from the left channel in stereo but when I switch the BP26 to mono I get both channels.  So, in mono with the new phono stage, tonearm cable and TT motor not broken in I got out one of my hundreds of vinyl prize possesions, Chicago Transit Authority circa 1968 (the band later known simpley as Chicago).  This album contains one of my favorite songs of my lifetime entitled "Beginnings".  The experience brought tears to my eyes and shivers up and down my spine.  I saw the original band perform this song live in 1970 and didn't get a feeling this intense and emotional.

This VPI/Benz rig is pulling stuff out of the grooves I'ver never heard on a CD so ryanz I'd pay close attention to Elizabeth's advice if I were you and shun the naysayers who are banging their heads against the wall trying to make sense of how to successfully download, store, organize, access and playback a hi rez digital file.  You should read about some of the agony they are experiencing expressed on numerous other threads to balance out the vinyl nuances they are pointing out here.  As I said previously I feel hoodwinked that I have spent over 25 years paying little attention to my vinyl collection.

BTW, this isn't my first TT.  I'm retiring my 35 year old Thorens TD 160.  I should also add that the X-05 plays SACD and the difference between SACD and Vinyl is not as great as it is between CD and vinyl.

Hello Bill,

Thanks Bill for the comparison between the X-05 and the TT, no surprises here. What I can see happening is perhaps vinyl gaining more acceptance and popularity again.

An interesting point that I think some people have missed with respect to “digital music files” is that it makes the large recording labels obsolete - why do you require their sales network to sell your music when you can do this from your own band’s internet site. Do not be surprised if you start seeing the music sales industry start “pushing” records again.

Be well…

Napalm

« Reply #62 on: 14 Jun 2010, 01:59 pm »
[...]
Unfortunately the loudness war has all but ruined redbook CD.  When it first got started it was mostly pop and rock that was affected....but now I am starting to see jazz releases on CD that are heavily compressed and mastered hot.  What a shame.
[...]

I guess the glorious industry has finally found the cure for "piracy". Master the records so badly that no one would want to listen to them, not even for free.

Nap.  :thumb:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #63 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:57 am »
I think we should all post pictures of ourselves to see if we actually look like how we write :icon_lol:

james

sorry...too ugly. :dunno:

al.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #64 on: 16 Jun 2010, 06:50 pm »
That bad, huh?

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #65 on: 16 Jun 2010, 06:52 pm »
That bad, huh?

...that's what the people say. :lol:

al.

vegasdave

« Reply #66 on: 16 Jun 2010, 06:54 pm »
Ok...:D

Ryanz

« Reply #67 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:49 am »
Sorry, but if you 'auditioned numerous turntables" in less than ten hours, you didn't really "AUDITION" ANY turntables, you just looked at them with a LP playing.   :oops:
To be able to actually 'listen' you have to be relaxed. WHO can be relaxed with a salesperson hovering over you, or the turntable, or he is talking at you a mile a minute filling your head with stuff you do not know (and don't need in an audition)
You have to GO back,  :nono: after making an appointment, and making it clear you want to spend SEVERAL HOURS listening to (pick three). Then, when you get there, listen to WHOLE LP sides. DO NOT LET DUDE TALK! Just listen. Ignore dude, listen. If Dude is jumping around, ask him to get lost. (seriously).
BUY a LP of music YOU LOVE. Actually have at least three different LPs of music YOU know AND love and bring them with you!  Listen to all three on one TT at a time. Relax. Listen to all three LPs after a ten minute pause on the second TT. Then repeat on third. Use the same electronics if possible. AND, if you want to compare to CDs, then bring your same CDs, and do the same thing!. no jumping around, changing tracks. Just listen to the whole Cd, then perhaps listen to the same whole LP. AND, again, shoo't' the saleman. Chase him away if he (and HE WILL) starts talking.
If the store is TOO BUSY for this, make an appointment when they are not open, or before they normally open. tell them you want 3 hours to listen.
When I go to my local favorite dealer, first thing I turn it down. I NEVER have been in a store where the music is NOT turned up too loud.
You want listen, not feel the music.
Relax. If the dude is pushing TELL HIM to back off, politely. Relax. The KEY to being able to hear is to not be TRYING to hear a difference. Just enjoy the music. Notice which one you enjoyed the music the most. NOT trying to think was this one more bass, or that one better midrange NO! just how it made you feel about the music overall.
THEN, if you still don't find anything in LP playback, you tried it out, and made a realistic decision.
Good Luck

Respectfully, I did audition 4 TT's. I have never once been pressured by any of the sales guys there, and this is one of the reasons why I continue to due business with them. I walked into the store, and told them to "make me want to buy a TT." They let me listen in peace, by myself. I spent about 5hrs there listening to about 10 different albums on 4 different TT and comparing them to the NAD C565BEE and the BCD-1. Don't get me wrong the more expensive TT's sounded amazing, I'm not debating that. :rock: It's just that I would have to drop about $4,000 to get the sound quality of the BCD-1, and a little less for the sound quality of the NAD. I walked in there with an open mind, and actually wanting to buy a TT, but I walked out of there wanting a BCD-1. Hmmmmm............ Where did I put my wallet?

vegasdave

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:16 am »
I think that says a lot for the BCD-1 when it equals $4000 turntables.

But me, personally, I would still take the vinyl. Not to say the BCD-1 is bad! :D

Napalm

« Reply #69 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:26 am »
[...] It's just that I would have to drop about $4,000 to get the sound quality of the BCD-1, and a little less for the sound quality of the NAD. I walked in there with an open mind, and actually wanting to buy a TT, but I walked out of there wanting a BCD-1. Hmmmmm............ Where did I put my wallet?

Keep it safe for a couple more months. This will give you time to explore the BDA-1 and some other stuff. When you'll finally pull out the wallet you won't waste a penny.

Ryanz

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:35 am »
Keep it safe for a couple more months. This will give you time to explore the BDA-1 and some other stuff. When you'll finally pull out the wallet you won't waste a penny.

Will do. Still have some exploring to do.  :singing:

Ryanz

« Reply #71 on: 17 Jun 2010, 04:37 am »
I think that says a lot for the BCD-1 when it equals $4000 turntables.

But me, personally, I would still take the vinyl. Not to say the BCD-1 is bad! :D

If I had a lot of vinyls, I would probably buy a TT, but, man, they aren't cheap. I am a "21st Century Digital Boy,"

vegasdave

« Reply #72 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:05 am »
If I had a lot of vinyls, I would probably buy a TT, but, man, they aren't cheap. I am a "21st Century Digital Boy,"

Gotcha. Yeah, not having a good size vinyl collection doesn't really justify spending a lot on a turntable.

Laundrew

« Reply #73 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:57 pm »
Gotcha. Yeah, not having a good size vinyl collection doesn't really justify spending a lot on a turntable.

When I visit Sonic Boom on Bloor - my favourite used CD store, I always go down into the basement and “snoop” through all of the vinyl. They have a very large selection and the prices are very reasonable. I have also noticed that HMV on Young is starting to carry vinyl.

I am even incorporating space into the design of my audio stand for a future TT. Space is at a premium and weight is also a factor and I am allowing a max load of about 100 lbs for the TT. Another issue is trying to find space for the phono-pre. I would like a stand alone unit and do not really want to incorporate one into my BP-26 if I can manage. The other option is to hide the pre and I do not want to do this.

Be well…

bunnyma357

« Reply #74 on: 17 Jun 2010, 02:06 pm »
The average price for the last 100 LP's I bought was 50 cents each for good quality used vinyl from forum members. There are a few I have paid top dollar for, but you can get a lot of mid-80's and earlier vinyl for very little money. All depends on what you're looking for.

Jim C

Laundrew

« Reply #75 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:01 pm »
The average price for the last 100 LP's I bought was 50 cents each for good quality used vinyl from forum members. There are a few I have paid top dollar for, but you can get a lot of mid-80's and earlier vinyl for very little money. All depends on what you're looking for.

Jim C

Awesome point Jim :thumb:

With prices like this, a TT would not be very long paying for itself and you could amass a decent vinyl collection very quickly. And the format is pure analogue to start with.

Who said “everything old is new again.“  :scratch:

Be well…

Laundrew

« Reply #76 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:42 pm »
I could not resist this one for a few dollars and the music I enjoy is readily available on vinyl ....

Be well...

vegasdave

« Reply #77 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:33 pm »
When I visit Sonic Boom on Bloor - my favourite used CD store, I always go down into the basement and “snoop” through all of the vinyl. They have a very large selection and the prices are very reasonable. I have also noticed that HMV on Young is starting to carry vinyl.

I am even incorporating space into the design of my audio stand for a future TT. Space is at a premium and weight is also a factor and I am allowing a max load of about 100 lbs for the TT. Another issue is trying to find space for the phono-pre. I would like a stand alone unit and do not really want to incorporate one into my BP-26 if I can manage. The other option is to hide the pre and I do not want to do this.

Be well…

Ok, sounds good. Well, when you're ready, you're in for a treat, imo.

vegasdave

« Reply #78 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:35 pm »

Jim C

Wow, that's a deal! The price of used vinyl at the stores around here has gone way up!

vegasdave

« Reply #79 on: 17 Jun 2010, 06:36 pm »
With prices like this, a TT would not be very long paying for itself and you could amass a decent vinyl collection very quickly. And the format is pure analogue to start with.

Exactly.