HD Projector opinions

Ryanz

HD Projector opinions
« on: 31 May 2010, 07:39 pm »
I know this doesn't fit in here at the Bryston Circle, but in my experience you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable of the circles. No offense implied. I've been thinking about getting an HD Projector, and I was curious if you guys have had any experience with projectors. What do you own? What are the pros/cons? I play video games quite a bit and have heard that it can be tricky finding a set that works well with game consoles. Please share your knowledge! :thumb:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Re: HD Projector opinions
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2010, 07:58 pm »
I use an Optoma HD200x (HD20 in the US). ~$1299 in cdn at Costco.
I play FPS on a PS3 without issue. Play blu-rays through the PS3 and watch HD TV. Great picture for the price. Can use in daytime reasonably well.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2010, 08:34 pm »
I don't do gaming but I have a PS3 in the secondary basement system with a 720p Sony LCD projector on an 88 inch screen.  I have a BenQ W5000 1080p projector in the main system on a 100 inch screen.  The main room is too bright for daytime TV.  Light control is a potential drawback for a projector if you can't limit it.  I feel if you are going to do HT you want a projector.  I have a 55 inch LED in the bedroom and while I sit about 10 feet away it sometimes feels more like home TV vs. HT.  So size is an advantage for a projector.  Bulb life and cost (perhaps they range from $300+) if you watch lots of TV and game could be another.  I don't watch much TV (I have no cable or satellite) and don't game.  I sold an 8 year old projector on which I probably had under 1400 hours and that was before I had a decent basement set-up and bedroom set-up.  So bulb life is not a big issue for me.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2010, 09:07 pm »
Good point, keep bulb life in mind.
I use my projector as my main display, averaging 6hrs/day on it.
I get about 1.5-2yrs on a bulb. I factor that cost in, and also plan to upgrade within 3yrs so....

$1300 projector
$300 replacement bulb
-------
$1600 - for around 3 years, or over 6000hrs of viewing.

Add in another $400 for a screen, and it cost me under $2000 for a 1080p 92" TV that will last 3years at least.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2010, 09:44 pm »
Forgot to mention the screen - great point.  My main system is a Stewart which is not cheap - around $1.5k.  The basement system is a base Carada screen (they sell direct to consumers) that was about $550.  You can get by with the wall (my main room is a gray-like color and it did not look bad before the screen but is a bit better with it).

racerxnet

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2010, 12:28 am »
CRT is still the king in picture quality. Yes, it's still old technology that has not been surpassed by the bulbs yet. Mike Parker 9500 Marquee, G-90, or Cine 9 (Barco) will last longer than the disposable bulb projectors, but have a higher learning curve. Heck, you can get a Marquee 8500 AC unit to project 1080p with a few simple mods and be under $1500.00.

All projectors need to be color calibrated for optimal performance (primary and secondary). No, not with the THX optimizer, Eye 1 Pro (DIY) or a qualified and competent tech in the field.

Here is a link to the AVS forum on CRT projection: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=900831&page=155

CRT's are not for everyone, but the results are stunning when done right.

Just my .02

MAK