2B SST Power Amp Review

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
2B SST Power Amp Review
« on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:16 pm »
Hi All,

Just received a review from Soundstage on our 2B SST amplifier that will go 'live' on July 1st.

This is a great review and it is really nice to see one of the magazines paying attention to the 2B SST (by the way the 2B SST amp is the same amp as in the B100 integrated amplifier). I think maybe because we are better known for our bigger amplifiers that the smaller amps tend to get displaced.

One of the big surprises when I let people listen to the Quad 2905's in my demo system was how great the 2B SST sounded.

I will post the link as soon as I get it.

james

« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2008, 11:25 pm by James Tanner »

mitcho

Re: 2B SST Power Amp Review
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2008, 11:50 pm »
I would think the smaller amps would be a little sweeter in the top end vs the larger amps.   I have heard the 2B and the 3B and liked both of them.  I owned the 3B and it did not make me want for anything larger or more powerful.

Good to see the other amps getting their due.   Not everyone is going to want the larger amps.  You need the larger amps for only for the hardest to drive speakers and/ or the largest rooms.

NewBuyer

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2008, 12:54 am »
Nice to hear about the great review! I will definitely want to read it.

I had been thinking about the 4B-SST to be our next amp (actually was very nearly about to order one), but if as mitcho says "You need the larger amps for only for the hardest to drive speakers and/ or the largest rooms.", then perhaps the 2B-SST would actually be a better choice for us! :)

rob80b

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2008, 01:53 am »
I would think the smaller amps would be a little sweeter in the top end vs the larger amps.   I have heard the 2B and the 3B and liked both of them.  I owned the 3B and it did not make me want for anything larger or more powerful.

Having gone through a 2BLP(86-93), 3B NRB (93-03), 3BST (03-08) and now the 4BSST, I do remember the sweetness of the 2B, it was an easy and pleasant amp to listen to, but in terms of extension, clarity and resolution the 2B was a far cry from what is available today from the SST’s.
I would even go as far as saying that my current 4BSST has the smoothest top end extension and less listening fatigue if any, compared to the previous three.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2008, 02:07 am »
Here's a sneak preview:

Sound

As my gear has changed over the years, I have noticed with some head-scratching that certain CDs sound good with one setup and not so good with another. One of them that I have found to be chameleon-like, and therefore a good test, is Paul Simon's 1987 Grammy Award winner Graceland [Warner Brothers 9 25447-2].

In this case, I can say without hesitation that I have never, ever heard Paul Simon’s voice reproduced so clearly as with the 2B SST C-Series amp. This wasn’t a function of loudness -- in fact, I was listening at very reasonable levels. There was clarity and nuance that I’ve never noticed with this particular CD. Lyrics were easier to discern, and I finally understood several which apparently I had always misheard. Snare drum also sounded very vivid -- there was obvious stick on skin -- and I think I could even hear the gentle compression used in the production of the album.

rob80b

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2008, 02:12 am »

I had been thinking about the 4B-SST to be our next amp (actually was very nearly about to order one), but if as mitcho says "You need the larger amps for only for the hardest to drive speakers and/ or the largest rooms.", then perhaps the 2B-SST would actually be a better choice for us! :)

Before deciding on the 4BSST I was going for the 3BSST to replace the 3BST, I am driving a pair of Dynaudio Contours rated at 86dB’s and the 3BST never seemed to come close to exhaustion in my 10’ x 15’ listening room at extended listening levels so I also considered the 4B would be overkill, considering that I also have a 15” Velodyne to take care of the bottom end, I was a bit sceptical to say the least.
Now after a month with living with the 4BSST it’s hard almost to describe the sense of dynamics, fluidity and ease of presentation that the 4BSST has added to my listening experience.
So it’s a not an easy call and probably comes down to what your expectations are, mine were pleasantly exceeded

Robert

mitcho

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2008, 03:46 am »

Before deciding on the 4BSST I was going for the 3BSST to replace the 3BST, I am driving a pair of Dynaudio Contours rated at 86dB’s and the 3BST never seemed to come close to exhaustion in my 10’ x 15’ listening room at extended listening levels so I also considered the 4B would be overkill, considering that I also have a 15” Velodyne to take care of the bottom end, I was a bit sceptical to say the least.
Now after a month with living with the 4BSST it’s hard almost to describe the sense of dynamics, fluidity and ease of presentation that the 4BSST has added to my listening experience.
So it’s a not an easy call and probably comes down to what your expectations are, mine were pleasantly exceeded

Robert

which Contour model?   They are not an easy speaker to drive.   86 db.   8 ohm, but 3 ohm min so there are large fluctuations.   125 wpc is recommended min in a room such as yours.   The extra power would be required.   If one has an easier load, the 2B or 3B is more than enough.

I drive Tetra 406 speakers that are 89 db efficient and 8 ohm min  load.   Easy to drive.   could use even less than the 2B to drive them.  As I indicated, the larger amps are required on some harder to drive speakers.  The 4B is a good match on your Dynaudio's.   They would like the extra power/ control of the 4B.   They should sing with the 4B as you indicated.   The 2B would be stretched and the 3B is the min you would want with the Dynaudio's.

It would come down to the room and the speaker you are driving.    The 2B if you can get it is very sweet in the top end.   Easily, the sweetest of the line.   However, it won't work in all systems.   But it's a great little amp to build a system around.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:15 am »

Robert

As a 4BSST owner myself, you nailed it perfectly. Allow me to add that the 4BSST can make mincemeat out of speakers, so you have to watch the volume. But it sounds so good when cranked!

rob80b

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2008, 12:48 pm »

which Contour model?   They are not an easy speaker to drive.   86 db.   8 ohm, but 3 ohm min so there are large fluctuations.   125 wpc is recommended min in a room such as yours.   The extra power would be required.   If one has an easier load, the 2B or 3B is more than enough.

I drive Tetra 406 speakers that are 89 db efficient and 8 ohm min  load.   Easy to drive.   could use even less than the 2B to drive them.  As I indicated, the larger amps are required on some harder to drive speakers.  The 4B is a good match on your Dynaudio's.   They would like the extra power/ control of the 4B.   They should sing with the 4B as you indicated.   The 2B would be stretched and the 3B is the min you would want with the Dynaudio's.

It would come down to the room and the speaker you are driving.    The 2B if you can get it is very sweet in the top end.   Easily, the sweetest of the line.   However, it won't work in all systems.   But it's a great little amp to build a system around.

Hi Mitcho

They are the 1.3MKII's rated at 4 ohm's, therefore I've got about 500 watts on tap from the 4B to play with, before adding the 4B they were clean and neutral but a bit laid back for my taste. Since adding the 4BSST they have waken up a fair bit while maintaining their overall sonic signature, which I’ve grown to appreciate.

Are you making reference to the original 2B and have you auditioned it against the current SST line, the 2BLP is what sold me on to Bryton back in the 80’s. I was familiar with Bryton in the studio but it was only when I got one home to replace my 30 watt Marantz to power my Celestion SL6S’s that I really appreciated the Bryston and the increased wattage. If I had not listened to my brother’s 3B later on I would have been contented to stay with the 2B as I assumed the 2B was more than satisfactory.
Going from the 3BST to the 4BSST I was also concerned, being old school, that the smaller amps have a sweeter top end, but the SST line have laid any doubts to rest.
The term sweetness does not come into play, instead what you have is an open and an extended non fatiguing top end, the older 2B could almost be considered coloured in many comparisons, the SST’s have just gotten closer to the truth.
In reference to the 2BSST I'm sure it would more than adequate for many users, but as I’ve learned over the years you won’t know till you try.

Robert

mitcho

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:50 pm »
Hi Mitcho

They are the 1.3MKII's rated at 4 ohm's, therefore I've got about 500 watts on tap from the 4B to play with, before adding the 4B they were clean and neutral but a bit laid back for my taste. Since adding the 4BSST they have waken up a fair bit while maintaining their overall sonic signature, which I’ve grown to appreciate.

Are you making reference to the original 2B and have you auditioned it against the current SST line, the 2BLP is what sold me on to Bryton back in the 80’s. I was familiar with Bryton in the studio but it was only when I got one home to replace my 30 watt Marantz to power my Celestion SL6S’s that I really appreciated the Bryston and the increased wattage. If I had not listened to my brother’s 3B later on I would have been contented to stay with the 2B as I assumed the 2B was more than satisfactory.
Going from the 3BST to the 4BSST I was also concerned, being old school, that the smaller amps have a sweeter top end, but the SST line have laid any doubts to rest.
The term sweetness does not come into play, instead what you have is an open and an extended non fatiguing top end, the older 2B could almost be considered coloured in many comparisons, the SST’s have just gotten closer to the truth.
In reference to the 2BSST I'm sure it would more than adequate for many users, but as I’ve learned over the years you won’t know till you try.

Robert

Yes.   The Dynaudio's you have require quite a bit of power.    The 3B would be an absolute min for them.   They would like the 4B more.   They have a min 3.5 ohm impedance, but they can swing up to 14 ohms, so they are a heavy load for most speakers especially when you add in the 86 db efficiency.   I can see why the 4B matches it.

I am just using 3B/ 4B/ 2B as the models,  I am talking about the SST line.  Just saves me time in typing SST each time.   The 2B, regardless the line LP, ST, SST etc. would be the sweetest of it's line.   It's just normal.   Usually the larger amps are drier.  I found the 2B SST to be a little sweeter in the top vs the 3B or the 4B.   Not a lot, but it's still there.  The SST line is superior to the older models.  Bryston has made improvements in each line rather than some brands which just bring out a new line in order to generate interest/ sales.

With your room and speaker, I would look at the 4B and up for better matching.   You have a good match in your speaker / amp.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2008, 02:17 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston Dealers
SUBJECT: Bryston 2B SST Review in Soundstage

July 2008,

Hi All,

Please see link to a terrific review on the Bryston 2B SST power amplifier in Soundstage Magazine. http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/bryston_2bsst_cseries.htm

There is also a very nice reference to the Bryston BP6 preamplifier.

james

NewBuyer

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2008, 09:52 pm »
James,

Congratulations and thanks for posting this review!

I have often read (sometimes from the manufacturers themselves) that smaller amps can tend to generate a nicer sounding top end. Do you personally think the 2B-SST has such an advantage over the bigger SST amps? If so, I wonder what please could be a possible technical explanation for this? :?:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2008, 10:02 pm »
Hi Newbuyer,

Traditional transistor amplifier designs all suffered from the same issue - that is that the distortion increased with frequency. The distortion on a typical transistor amplifier will generally be about 10 times worse at 20K as compared to 1K.

So the smaller less complicated output stages on smaller powered amplifiers would tend to show less of this distortion spectrum and therefore more people preferred the top end sound from smaller amps.

The SST Series amplifiers are our first series of amplifiers that have the same very very low distortion across their entire bandwidth.  I think that is why even with our bigger amplifiers most people really like the clarity in the high frequencies. It is clear without being bright or forward. In fact one review called our 28B Mono amp (1000 watts) the best TWEETER amp he ever heard.

james

niels

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2008, 10:13 pm »
Will read the Soundstage test, but I have had potential Bryston B100 buyers contact me asking about the sound from the unit, and some were pretty skeptical to the praise it gets everywhere.
All I can say is that, being an audiophile and very picky, from the first moment I switched it on it, the amplifier managed something no amplifier did in my house before it, and that was to take away the urge to try something "better". It sounded so sweet, incredibly clean and showed its tremendous resolving power right away. Coherence from top to bottom, naturally dynamic, completely leaving me at ease, true Bryston I think.
After 2 years of ownership I still feel absolutely "home" with the amp. The 2B SST would be a natural purchase if I choose to experiment with vertical biamp later.

denjo

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2008, 12:06 am »
James,

Congrats on the great Soundstage review of the 2B SST!

If I understand correctly, the B100 SST is actually a BP16 pre and a 2B SST amp. Naturally any positive reviews of the BP16 or 2B SST would naturally imply the same attributes for the B100 SST. Of late, I seem to have gravitatedtowards the integrated approach since the one-box offering is simpler (saves 1 interconnect and 1 power cord) and uses less real estate space. As Niels has intimated, any future "upgrade" would be to go for another power amp (2B, 4B, etc) for bi-amping. My question is this: why would anyone go for the 2-box approach (specifically the BP16 and 2B SST), when the B100 SST is fundamentally the same thing? Besides, the B100 can also accept the excellent DAC and phono capabilities which Bryston offers!

Best Regards
Dennis

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2008, 12:39 am »
James,

Congrats on the great Soundstage review of the 2B SST!

If I understand correctly, the B100 SST is actually a BP16 pre and a 2B SST amp. Naturally any positive reviews of the BP16 or 2B SST would naturally imply the same attributes for the B100 SST. Of late, I seem to have gravitatedtowards the integrated approach since the one-box offering is simpler (saves 1 interconnect and 1 power cord) and uses less real estate space. As Niels has intimated, any future "upgrade" would be to go for another power amp (2B, 4B, etc) for bi-amping. My question is this: why would anyone go for the 2-box approach (specifically the BP16 and 2B SST), when the B100 SST is fundamentally the same thing? Besides, the B100 can also accept the excellent DAC and phono capabilities which Bryston offers!

Best Regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Yes the B100 SST is the BP16 and the 2B-SST in one chassis. This approach is rare though. Most integrated amps are designed to a price point so it is more a function of less quality in the integrated relative to the separates.

In Bryston's case though we have always felt that the choice should be one of flexibility and specific features rather than performance. So to answer your question the separates just provide the customer more power (3B 4B 7B etc.) or specific features (Balanced in and out for example)  or the option of mixing and matching different manufacturers amps and preamps etc.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2008, 04:13 am »

call me a know-all but i found this statement in a review (hifi&records) of the b100 according to james' point that the '100' is
 exactly the same amp as the 2b:

-...but in order to immediately prelude any misunderstanding, the new '100' has not inherited the ingenious circuitry with the crossed
  NPN/PNP transistor pairs from the larger power amps, but only their 'SST' transistors. for each channel the '100' makes do with just
  a pair of these, whereas for the clever circuitry of the SST power amps at least four transistors are required for each channel...-

so why was it made that way?

alex.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2008, 10:14 am »

call me a know-all but i found this statement in a review (hifi&records) of the b100 according to james' point that the '100' is
 exactly the same amp as the 2b:

-...but in order to immediately prelude any misunderstanding, the new '100' has not inherited the ingenious circuitry with the crossed
  NPN/PNP transistor pairs from the larger power amps, but only their 'SST' transistors. for each channel the '100' makes do with just
  a pair of these, whereas for the clever circuitry of the SST power amps at least four transistors are required for each channel...-

so why was it made that way?

alex.

Hi Alex,

Because the 2B LP, 2B SST as well as the PP -60, B60 integrated and B100 integrated only have 2 output devices per channel (not 4 or more) so the Quad Complimetary circuitry (PNP/NPN) does not apply in those amps.

james