McCormack DNA-500 vs Bryston 14B-SST??

rydenfan

McCormack DNA-500 vs Bryston 14B-SST??
« on: 26 Jun 2008, 02:04 pm »
Hey Guys. I am contemplating moving from the McCormack DNA-500 to the Bryston 14B-SST. They have similar power ratings but I am wondering if anyone here may be able to compare and contrast these two amps for me? Thanks so much for the help.

Associated gear:

Revel Studio2's
Modwright Transporter
Modwright LS 36.5
McCormack DNA-500
Synergistic Research Tesla series cables

mcullinan

Re: McCormack DNA-500 vs Bryston 14B-SST??
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2008, 03:00 pm »
Nice System!
I think its going to be a tough race between those 2 contenders.
Mike

BobM

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2008, 03:06 pm »
With amps at that level I think you need to try them out in your own system and do an A-B to really see if the other amp is going to give you what you are looking for without sacrificing what you already have.

What is it that you think you are missing with the DNA-500?

Bob

PS - if you really are going to get rid of it then PM me (I may be interested).

mca

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2008, 03:11 pm »
wrong circle

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2008, 03:15 pm »
I know the people who frequent this Circle are more tolerant of comparisons to other gear than other Circles might be, but I think you might be better served posting this type of question in a "neutral" Circle such as Audio Central.

Just a thought...

George

rydenfan

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2008, 03:17 pm »
Fair enough. I will re-post it there.

rydenfan

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2008, 03:22 pm »

What is it that you think you are missing with the DNA-500?

Bob

It is not so much I feel that I am missing anything, but more of just that general curiosity of if there is more to be achieved? I like that the McCormack has a nice musical nature. I guess I am just curious if the Bryston would have even greater detail/transparency without sounding sterile or analytical.

AliG

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2008, 06:34 pm »

It is not so much I feel that I am missing anything, but more of just that general curiosity of if there is more to be achieved?

Then you need to read these words of wisdom  :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?postID=432#432

jethro

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2008, 09:27 pm »
We are not only tolerant of comparisons of other brands with Bryston gear - we encourage it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2008, 10:07 pm »
We are not only tolerant of comparisons of other brands with Bryston gear - we encourage it.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

George

dogorman

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2008, 10:17 pm »
I haven't owned a Bryston amp in a long time (for the record, a 4B, c.1990), but I do own a McCormack DNA-HT5, modeled after the DNA-125, and I'm very happy with it. Lots of detail, very quick sound. Not at all warm and fuzzy, if that's your thing.

The one thing you may or may not already know about the McCormack amps: they're all designed with really hot inputs, so that they work a lot better (in my opinion) with passive preamplification, rather than active.

The Bryston I had was stupidly paired with a preamp that had no business in the same rack and, as such, my own experience with the amp was inconclusive. Still, one of my fondest memories as a late-adolescent was going to my local shop and listening to a little Bryston 2B rock the friggin' house down.