BDP-2 music files over network

Krutsch

Re: BDP-2 music files over network
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jun 2018, 12:16 am »
That sounds useful. Thanks. I can already see uses for other things.

Last summer I used MP3tag on Windows to do batch corrections on my albums and it worked the best for me and getting things exactly as I wanted it. I was there was a Mac version. However, it was too time consuming and would've taken a long time to get it right. With Roon, as long as the files you use have decent amount of metadata, it will handle things quite well. I don't have to be as meticulous with Roon. It's nice being able to be lazy and just drag a file to a local hard drive and having Roon update it right away. I've only had to make manual changes a couple of times on Roon. Manic Moose on the other hand requires you to be perfect if you want the same level of consistency and usefulness with your library.

For macOS, I use Metadactics for tagging (it's on the Apple Mac store). It's really quite nice and a perfect compliment to XLD for ripping and transcoding.

I've given up on Manic Moose... I was never able to get a version of my iTunes library to run on the BDP, which is mostly AIFF and some MP3/AAC files. Manic Moose simply will not read the tags consistently (I get a ton of unknown genre/artist files). Of course, the same library works just fine with Roon and MinimServer (when I was still playing around with that). So, I have a parallel FLAC library, carefully tagged and organized to work with MPD. You think using USB drives was a pain, creating my FLAC library was a *supreme* headache.

zoom25

Re: BDP-2 music files over network
« Reply #21 on: 6 Jun 2018, 01:14 am »
For macOS, I use Metadactics for tagging (it's on the Apple Mac store). It's really quite nice and a perfect compliment to XLD for ripping and transcoding.

I've given up on Manic Moose... I was never able to get a version of my iTunes library to run on the BDP, which is mostly AIFF and some MP3/AAC files. Manic Moose simply will not read the tags consistently (I get a ton of unknown genre/artist files). Of course, the same library works just fine with Roon and MinimServer (when I was still playing around with that). So, I have a parallel FLAC library, carefully tagged and organized to work with MPD. You think using USB drives was a pain, creating my FLAC library was a *supreme* headache.

I looked at Metadactics. I'll keep it noted for the future. I had to do a double take because it looks almost identical to MP3Tag based on the screenshots at the App Store. Btw, MP3Tag is free (for anyone on Windows).

I tried using MPod and MPod, and even paid for Soundirok, but didn't end up using either for more than a few minutes. It seemed like a complete mess and hindered the experience. At least with Manic Moose and folder view I know where all the music is and it's very stable and reliable. The folder view on Manic Moose is my second favourite way behind Roon.

The worst experience was trying all those DLNA things. I only found Audirvana to be acceptable. I gave Minimserver and Kinsky a shot and one of them didn't open while the other would quickly become unresponsive. On the other hand, it takes a lot to break Roon. To be fair, I didn't invest a lot of time trying to figure it out and see what was going wrong, but it shouldn't be that hard in the first place. I cannot imagine beginners having success with this.

I don't know if its fixed or not with MPD, but in the past when I tried Manic Moose and AIFF and ALAC, some of the metadata fields would not show up. WAV was missing almost everything. Only FLAC seemed to work correctly. I have mostly FLACs, but 10-15% is ALAC. No need to worry about the format in Roon with those two.

If Metadactics actually works like MP3tag and you had to manually fix a big library album by album, I really, really, really feel for you. I have 4000 albums and I gave up on the letter 'A' of my library as I progressed alphabetically. After doing 50 gb of Above & Beyond for two days, I gave up somewhere on Adele. I remember scrolling down the list and seeing what was next and as soon as I saw 100+ Gb coming up of Armin Van Buuren a bit later, I immediately closed everything and unplugged all the drives and made my decision to stick with Roon.  :lol: :lol: :lol: That was the defining moment.

I remember being so sick of looking at the screen that I didn't listen to any music for the next two weeks. It's either Roon or Manic Moose folder view with database disabled for me. I can't do Audirvana either after being spoiled by Roon. Nothing remotely looks close to it other than streaming services.