Drives for BCd-1

rmurray

Re: Drives for BCd-1
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jun 2017, 10:32 pm »
It  is a sad thing to spend mucho  dollars on a fine player only to have it made useless due to a lack of repair parts.....really sucks.  My Harley , no matter how old it gets, will always be rebuildable.  Can we not adapt new and different CD drives to the otherwise fine CD1 or now, the CD3 ,so they can be used and enjoyed  far into the future?  How about it  James, can we keep our great CD players alive and not be condemned to the junk heap? :: ::(b:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 8 Jun 2017, 10:36 pm »
It  is a sad thing to spend mucho  dollars on a fine player only to have it made useless due to a lack of repair parts.....really sucks.  My Harley , no matter how old it gets, will always be rebuildable.  Can we not adapt new and different CD drives to the otherwise fine CD1 or now, the CD3 ,so they can be used and enjoyed  far into the future?  How about it  James, can we keep our great CD players alive and not be condemned to the junk heap? :: ::(b:

I am afraid it is beyond my control - unless we want to get into the drive business there is not much we can do. :duh:

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #22 on: 8 Jun 2017, 10:41 pm »
 So can we just keep adding new drive units to  say, the BDA units and keep on spinning our records ?

redbook

« Reply #23 on: 8 Jun 2017, 10:43 pm »
 By the way what really fails in the cd drives  Is it the motors or the lazers ? ? :scratch:

rmurray

« Reply #24 on: 8 Jun 2017, 10:48 pm »
 I think, but not sure, using the BOT would be a good drive choice with a BDA3 ....perhaps ?  James will the company  continue to make a drive of some kind into future? Sorry if I seem ignorant about this but I hope I can always play my cd s

redbook

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jun 2017, 11:02 pm »
I am afraid it is beyond my control - unless we want to get into the drive business there is not much we can do. :duh:

james
  So how about making your (OUR) drives so this will never be an issue again. I know it's probably not viable but I can hope.....  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 9 Jun 2017, 12:26 am »
I think, but not sure, using the BOT would be a good drive choice with a BDA3 ....perhaps ?  James will the company  continue to make a drive of some kind into future? Sorry if I seem ignorant about this but I hope I can always play my cd s

Making drives is not feasible for a small company so all you can hope for is a replacement drive,  In the case of the Phillips no such luck.

james

redbook

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jun 2017, 12:54 am »
Thanks  James, that's what I figured.... :cry: My question today (pardon my ignorance folks) is if I get a BOT all I need for playback is the a BDA -3 ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 10 Jun 2017, 12:58 am »
Thanks  James, that's what I figured.... :cry: My question today (pardon my ignorance folks) is if I get a BOT all I need for playback is the a BDA -3 ?

No you need the BDP3

James

redbook

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jun 2017, 01:50 am »
Why do I need the BDP ? :scratch:

Phil A

Jozsef

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jun 2017, 06:41 am »
By the way what really fails in the cd drives  Is it the motors or the lazers ? ? :scratch:
In my personal experience, it can be either but most often it's the laser. These can be replaced. I'll be taking an Oppo BDP-83 BluRay player in soon to have that done. I've seen sticking drawers, which is either a lubrication issue or most probably a tiny rubber belt slipping. Those belts are available but I don't even know if your unit uses one.

It's certainly a shame that there is no beautiful modular metal transport with a replaceable motor that could be kept going indefinitely but that's how it seems to be.

Phil A

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jun 2017, 01:53 pm »
In my personal experience, it can be either but most often it's the laser. These can be replaced. I'll be taking an Oppo BDP-83 BluRay player in soon to have that done. I've seen sticking drawers, which is either a lubrication issue or most probably a tiny rubber belt slipping. Those belts are available but I don't even know if your unit uses one.

It's certainly a shame that there is no beautiful modular metal transport with a replaceable motor that could be kept going indefinitely but that's how it seems to be.

I have an old modded BDP-83 that I just sent back to Oppo as the sticky drawer is a known issue and they said they would take care of it.  Yes, it is often the laser.  Many moons ago, I had a transport with a metal drawer (in fact, Bryston had a demo at a store local to me at the time and Dale?  also used the same transport at the time - Proceed PMDT), which was built like a tank.  Unfortunately disc playback has other competitors now, streaming and file playback, and there just seem to be fewer real CD players/transports made.

AndrewA

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jun 2017, 05:01 pm »
James--

has Bryston ever thought about making a conventional CD transport?  While I have a BCD-1 in my main system, I ended up with a Cambridge Audio transport in my secondary, basically because there were no other real alternatives in the price bracket I was looking in.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 11 Jun 2017, 06:57 pm »
James--

has Bryston ever thought about making a conventional CD transport?  While I have a BCD-1 in my main system, I ended up with a Cambridge Audio transport in my secondary, basically because there were no other real alternatives in the price bracket I was looking in.

Hi Andrew - you mean just the drive or a transport without an output section?

james

redbook

« Reply #35 on: 12 Jun 2017, 07:39 am »
Now there's an idea....love the notion of  Bryston having there own in house drive  or  at least some part of it..... :thumb:

AndrewA

« Reply #36 on: 12 Jun 2017, 05:01 pm »
A transport.  Something that you could pair (with a cord) with a BDA-2 or -3.

Like I say, if you look around at the current offerings of stand-alone CD transports, they are few and far between.

redbook

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jun 2017, 06:04 pm »
A transport.  Something that you could pair (with a cord) with a BDA-2 or -3.

Like I say, if you look around at the current offerings of stand-alone CD transports, they are few and far between.
You see I thought the BOT was that but seems not so...yes I would like a drive unit that only need the bda added......

AndrewA

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jun 2017, 04:47 pm »
Yes, when I first heard the news of that the BOT was coming, I thought that too, that it would serve as a conventional transport, but then when I read the details I realized not.

James: in the range from $0--$1500, how many dedicated transports are there available (other than the Cambridge Audio one)?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #39 on: 13 Jun 2017, 05:06 pm »
Any CD player with a digital out jack, can serve as a transport.