Pumpkinman’s "Rock and Roll" thread.

spence

Re: P-Mans "Rock and Roll" Vinyl LP page
« Reply #4460 on: 7 Feb 2015, 01:14 pm »
vinyl_lady,

Coltrane may not be R&R, but I see some folk and surf music on here, so I compensated too! I'll try to do better next time......

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #4461 on: 7 Feb 2015, 02:43 pm »
That's ok Spence, you just have never met our 'host' - the Pumpkinman. And he does play a jazz lp once in a blue moon. Plus, you spun a Gentle Giant lp just before, so you're ok.

And VL never, EVER spins jazz, something I've spoken to her about, but to no avail.  :wink:

etcarroll

« Reply #4462 on: 7 Feb 2015, 02:45 pm »
Hey Bill -

Back a year or 2 ago I was trying to describe a Dudek album I was looking for, this is it. If you see a good copy at DD grab it for me, would you? Please?

Les Dudek

spence

« Reply #4463 on: 7 Feb 2015, 03:30 pm »
Thanks etcarroll,
    I feel better now....don't want to upset the ladies! And while we're on the subject of Les Dudek:

etcarroll

« Reply #4464 on: 7 Feb 2015, 03:43 pm »
Just watched Bob Mould on Letterman from last night, he may be a 'graybeard' now, but still getting it done. So for first spin of the weekend;

Bob Mould   ‎– Workbook

I looked for a clean copy of this for a long time, then walked into Record Connection one day, and it was first album in the 'M' section, NM for $4, I was psyched!  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4465 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:11 pm »
vinyl_lady,

Coltrane may not be R&R, but I see some folk and surf music on here, so I compensated too! I'll try to do better next time......

Hey Spence,

I meant no offense. Since you are new to this thread, and by the way WELCOME, a little background may be in order. There are threads for jazz lps, classical lps and opera. There is also a generic lp thread in the vinyl circle. We used to post our rock (broad definition) lps there. Then one day the thread began to be dominated by jazz lovers and occasionally one of them would make snide remarks about what Pman and I and others were posting so Pman decided to start a thread dedicated to all forms of rock music from classic rock to folk rock to prog rock to surf rock to psych rock to alt rock. One of the ground rules was no classical, no jazz, no rap, no hip hop and no easy listening. Pman laid this out in the 1st post in this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=116369.msg1218715#msg1218715.

I have added a lot of music to my collection from posts in this thread and look forward to your non jazz posts. :lol: And etcarroll is right, I have no jazz in my collection and I walk out of rooms at audio shows if they start to play jazz.  :nono:

Best,

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4466 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:12 pm »

etcarroll

« Reply #4467 on: 7 Feb 2015, 04:46 pm »
And etcarroll is right, I have no jazz in my collection and I walk out of rooms at audio shows if they start to play jazz.  :nono:

Best,

Laura

It's true, I saw her flee a room at CAF when a jazz title was put on! VL thinks all jazz titles should have this disclaimer on the back;

SIDE EFFECTS: Dizziness, headache, flushing, or stomach upset may occur. Vision changes such as increased sensitivity to light, blurred vision, or trouble telling blue and green colors apart may also occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or record store owner promptly.
To reduce the risk of dizziness and lightheadedness, get up slowly when rising from a sitting or listening position.

Jazz listening may put extra strain on your heart, especially if you have heart problems. If you have heart problems and experience any of these serious side effects while listening to jazz, stop and get medical help right away: severe dizziness, fainting, chest/jaw/left arm pain, nausea.

Rarely, sudden decreased vision in one or both eyes (NAION) may occur. This effect may or may not be caused by jazz. If this serious problem occurs, stop listening to jazz and get medical help right away. You have a slightly greater chance of developing NAION if you have heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, certain other eye problems ("crowded disk"), high blood pressure, if you are over 50, or if you smoke.

Rarely, a sudden decrease or loss of hearing, sometimes with ringing in the ears and dizziness, may occur. Stop listening to jazz and get medical help right away if these effects occur.

In the rare event you have a painful or prolonged erection lasting 4 or more hours, stop listening to jazz and get medical help right away, or permanent problems could occur. <note: this happened to me the first time I played Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder"!>

A very serious allergic reaction to jazz music is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or buy the complete Allman Bros discography ASAP.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4468 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:01 pm »
Gene,

that was funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotflmao: And pretty close to accurate. :lol:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4469 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:12 pm »
Gene,

that was funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotflmao: And pretty close to accurate. :lol:

+1  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4470 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:15 pm »

spence

« Reply #4471 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:22 pm »
Hi Laura,
  I know you didn't mean anything by it. It takes a lot to get me upset anyways. I'll stick to the R&R albums from here on out. I'm not a big fan of Jazz either. I can handle some jazz/rock fusion at times, but not a heavy dose. I hadn't listened to that Coltrane album for years until this morning while I washed clothes. I just happened to have this thread up, so I snapped the pic. Your point was well taken and not offensive to me at all.

Dave

etcarroll

« Reply #4472 on: 7 Feb 2015, 05:25 pm »
And next......

Copper Blue - Sugar

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4473 on: 7 Feb 2015, 06:37 pm »
This is as close as I get to jazz. BTW, I love this album.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4474 on: 7 Feb 2015, 07:05 pm »

Classic Records 200g MONO reissue of the British release on Regal Zonophone. Whiter Shade of Pale is not on the British release because it had been issued as a single. Classic Records put WSOP on a 12" colored vinyl cut at 45 rpm on one side and 33.3 on the other. Mastered by Bernie Grundman using Classic Records' all-tube cutting system and pressed on Quiex 200g Super Vinyl Profile.  :thumb:

Mike Hobson, president of Classic Records, wanted to do a "correct" reissue of the first Procol Harum album but who also had reservations about ignoring the group's most famous song. Eventually, he hit on an idea: do the album purist-right, but package it with an additional 12" record, that one with A Whiter Shade of Pale. They could even couple a 33rpm cut on one side with a higher-fidelity 45rpm version on the other, in what has become a recent Classic tradition, if you'll pardon the three-way oxymoron.
It took a while to locate the production master for the single – the original four-track tapes haven't surfaced since 1967, and are presumed forever lost – but along the way someone turned up a box from Ad Sound Studios in London, dated "April 1967" and marked, simply, "Whiter Shade of Pale plus takes." (Charmingly, the label on the box credits someone named Procol Harridan.) Rather than a mixed and I'd [sic] production master, the box contained an original four-track tape. Careful playback revealed the contents to be three different, unmixed recordings of the song, each slightly different from one another and from the "official" single.
Everyone who buys the Classic Records reissue of Procol Harum will get two 12" vinyl records: Tim de Paravicini's reasserting of the original début album and his reasserting of the original single release of A Whiter Shade of Pale, both in mono, the latter with a 33rpm side and a 45rpm side.
How does it all sound? Nothing short of glorious. ~ Art Dudley, Stereophile

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #4475 on: 7 Feb 2015, 08:35 pm »
This is as close as I get to jazz. BTW, I love this album.

I know what you mean. With the advent of this album and BS&T, horns became acceptable and not just something of my father's to rebel against.

Doc

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4476 on: 7 Feb 2015, 08:41 pm »
I know what you mean. With the advent of this album and BS&T, horns became acceptable and not just something of my father's to rebel against.

Doc

I agree Doc.

etcarroll

« Reply #4477 on: 7 Feb 2015, 09:12 pm »
Bill gave me 2 or 3 Chicago albums, and they do nothing for me. And I love jazz, so.......

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #4478 on: 7 Feb 2015, 11:00 pm »
It's true, I saw her flee a room at CAF when a jazz title was put on! VL thinks all jazz titles should have this disclaimer on the back;

SIDE EFFECTS: Dizziness, headache, flushing, or stomach upset may occur. Vision changes such as increased sensitivity to light, blurred vision, or trouble telling blue and green colors apart may also occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or record store owner promptly.
To reduce the risk of dizziness and lightheadedness, get up slowly when rising from a sitting or listening position.

Jazz listening may put extra strain on your heart, especially if you have heart problems. If you have heart problems and experience any of these serious side effects while listening to jazz, stop and get medical help right away: severe dizziness, fainting, chest/jaw/left arm pain, nausea.

Rarely, sudden decreased vision in one or both eyes (NAION) may occur. This effect may or may not be caused by jazz. If this serious problem occurs, stop listening to jazz and get medical help right away. You have a slightly greater chance of developing NAION if you have heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, certain other eye problems ("crowded disk"), high blood pressure, if you are over 50, or if you smoke.

Rarely, a sudden decrease or loss of hearing, sometimes with ringing in the ears and dizziness, may occur. Stop listening to jazz and get medical help right away if these effects occur.

In the rare event you have a painful or prolonged erection lasting 4 or more hours, stop listening to jazz and get medical help right away, or permanent problems could occur. <note: this happened to me the first time I played Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder"!>

A very serious allergic reaction to jazz music is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or buy the complete Allman Bros discography ASAP.

Gene you are too much my friend. LMAO

If I come across that Les Dudek LP it's yours.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #4479 on: 7 Feb 2015, 11:24 pm »

Grand Funk ~ We're an American Band