Which Oppo to Buy?? 93 w/DAC or 95 Standalone???

johzel

Which Oppo to Buy?? 93 w/DAC or 95 Standalone???
« on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:21 am »
Looking for some advice on whether to purchase the Oppo bdp-93 or bdp-95.  I’m mostly interested in 2-channel listening.  Although, it will be a part of my HT set-up as well.  I already have a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 so I’m wondering what will provide the best “music” – a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2/bdp-93 combination or a standalone bdp-95.  I'm leaning toward just adding the bdp-93 with the DAC but am wondering if there are any compelling reasons to go with a 95 instead.

Appreciate any suggestions/insight.  Thanks.

WC

Re: Which Oppo to Buy?? 93 w/DAC or 95 Standalone???
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:59 am »
Nope. If you using a DAC there is no reason to get the 95.

MttBsh

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:02 am »
I recently bought a BDP-93 and it does a fine job hooked up to my DAC via the excellent Wyreworld digital cable.

I think the BDP-93/Wyred 4 Sound combo will compete with - and probably beat - the stock BDP-95, and the Oppos are built to perform well for years... so with the rapid evolution of DACs you can always upgrade your external DAC a few years down the road. 

There are some modders doing some exceptional upgrades to the BDP-95 that make it compete with some of the best DACs out there, so that's another option but it'll cost you.

skunark

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:07 am »
If you are big into SACDs you still might want the BDP-95 over the BDP-93.

skunark

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2011, 01:14 am »
I recently bought a BDP-93 and it does a fine job hooked up to my DAC via the excellent Wyreworld digital cable.

I think the BDP-93/Wyred 4 Sound combo will compete with - and probably beat - the stock BDP-95, and the Oppos are built to perform well for years... so with the rapid evolution of DACs you can always upgrade your external DAC a few years down the road. 

There are some modders doing some exceptional upgrades to the BDP-95 that make it compete with some of the best DACs out there, so that's another option but it'll cost you.

Oppo already has "one of the best DAC out there".. guessing the mods are upgrades to the output drivers or perhaps other things related to the power supply.   BDP-95 is one of the best rated sources out there, improvements would be marginal at best.

johzel

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:31 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Will likely purchase a Oppo bdp-93 to pair with my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 and sell my John Tucker Exemplar modded Oppo bdp-83.   I'm thinking the W4S DAC and Oppo 93 will be equal (or better) than the Exemplar modded Oppo 83???

rbbert

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2011, 12:53 am »
If you are big into SACDs you still might want the BDP-95 over the BDP-93.

And/or Bluray, of which there will probably be more and more music releases.

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:18 am »
I would get the Oppo BD 95.  I have it, and it's perhaps one of the BEST overall buys in audio.  The  two channel analog out is very good.  The mods MAY provide a small improvement at a big price increase that is hard to justify.