Which DVD Player (or does this make sense)?

EveningSky

Which DVD Player (or does this make sense)?
« on: 18 Jan 2008, 10:05 pm »
I do not own HD DVDs (but will some day).  I do not own a HD display (but will some day), although my Samsung CRT is supposed to be able to display a 720i cable feed. 
I own a collection of normal DVDs and enjoy watching them. 
I am considering the purchase of one of the good Denon DVD players (such as the 3930ci, or another player), in order to better enjoy my DVDs and sound, and enjoy my normal DVDs, especially when I eventually purchase a HDTV. 
I have a DVD player, decent, but not exceptional. 
Does this make sense, or would I be better advised to wait until the new standard of HD DVD is decided and purchase a good HD DVD player with upsampling for the older DVDs. 

What is your opinion? 
How does an "upsampled DVD look on a HDTV?" 
How does it compare to a HD DVD?
What sort of display is most suitable for a normal DVD, a normal display, HD Display, or very HD Display? 
I appreciate any knowedgable opinions on these issues?

YOurs, ES.   :thumb:

Woodsea

Re: Which DVD Player (or does this make sense)?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2008, 03:21 am »
I would not spend over $200 on a DVD player unless you have the pre/pro and speakers to hear a difference.  You do not have a good enough display oomph for a mid-grade upconverter either.  Until you pull the plug on your display, and get 1080p it is a waste of money. 
Upsampling looks great on SDVD via my Oppo and upconverting to 1080p to my Westinghouse 1080p monitor.

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2008, 01:10 pm »
I too suggest upgrading your TV first.  Then get a HD player as prices fall. 
Do you have HD Tv now?
What TV do you have?

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2008, 02:01 pm »
Continue using your existing DVD Player until you purchase a 1080P TV.  DVD Player technology is changing reapidly and prices are dropping.  You will purchase better technology for fewer dollars when you the tv to take advantage of it.

Ken

Toka

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:17 pm »
For regular ol' DVD, I haven't yet seen anything (at any price) that will beat an Oppo.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2008, 04:38 pm »
My Proceed PMDT kills my Oppo.  I mean the Oppo is not even close.  Now, that's on relatively small screens (480p, 57 inch RPTV; 720p 30-something inch LCD TV).  I'll perform another comparison when I get my 92 inch projection system set up.  Also, the price difference is shocking -- the original MSRP of the Proceed PMDT was $7,500, whereas the Oppo was under $200.  (Of course, I didn't pay anywhere near retail, but I think I paid 10 times the price of the Oppo.)  Nonetheless, you said "any price". 

Toka

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2008, 05:42 pm »
Never tried that one. Looks impressive enough, though! But for that price, it better. :)