Bought Some Sachiko Double Horns...Now What to Load Into Them

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
Buying a pair of Sachiko Double Horn cabinets from a guy in California. They look to be nicely constructed, and this pair has not had a driver mounted in them yet. Shipping next week or so, could have them in a couple of weeks. Understand this design was inspired by Terry Cains work, and I have listened to Terry's speakers for many years. Friends own single horns and double horns. So I am curious to see what can be accomplished with these.

Trying to decide on a driver. My gut reaction is a pair of Fostex FE205E drivers. I have also have heard others express interest in the Audio Nirvana Alnico 8, but do not know anyone who owns them.

There used to be a 8" hemp driver out there, but I think the company is no longer available.

Curious to hear others thoughts and opinions on what might be possible with these cabinets. Here is a link to a drawing of the speaker.
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/images/Sachico.gif

Regards
Mister Pig

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
You'll have to see for yourself the build quality of these cabinets to know how much to invest in drivers and do the modeling to see what drivers fit the bill.  For course your audio tastes and room size will also figure into the equation. 

In the right cabinet the typical Fostex drivers can sound quite good, but better drivers are out there.

Bob_Brines

I believe that Sachiko was designed for the Fostex FE206E.

Bob

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
I believe that Sachiko was designed for the Fostex FE206E.

Bob

That was a typo on my part. I meant to refer to the FE 206E in my opening post.

I know these images are small, but these are the ones shown by the builder. Looks to be a reasonably well done cabinet, we will see when they get here.

Regards
Mister Pig

doug s.

• makin' music
you could try decware's iteration of the fe206e; these won't break the bank.  i have a pair, and they are wery nice, but in a completely different aplication - oris 150 horns.  since your horns were designed w/the fe206e's in mind, this may be a good way to go.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/DFR8.htm

doug s.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Sachiko is designed for FE206e. If you want a step up from that FE206eN. The ones shown at least have my phase plugs it seems (CA, commercial sales, they could well be a set of my FE206eN). One owner in Florida reports good results with FE206eSR, but to get optimum performance some changes would need to be made in the box).

What Steve does to the FE206 would also move them from being optimal.

dave

doug s.

• makin' music
What Steve does to the FE206 would also move them from being optimal...

if you are referring to the decware modded fe206e's in the sachiko horn, that may be true.  in my case, going from stock fe206e's,which i had in my oris horns for about a year, was a nice improvement.  smoother, better overall tonality, and no loss of detail.

doug s.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi

if you are referring to the decware modded fe206e's in the sachiko horn, that may be true.  in my case, going from stock fe206e's,which i had in my oris horns for about a year, was a nice improvement.  smoother, better overall tonality, and no loss of detail.

I've not heard Steve's version of the 206, but your description is as expected. The stock 206 vertainly has some rough edges that when knocked back make for a much better driver.

dave