Sonos users, NAS input

pbrstreetgang

Sonos users, NAS input
« on: 19 Jan 2008, 11:22 pm »
Hi yall I use itunes to rip all my music and share with the sonos desktop. I also have multiple ipods and an external HD that I attach to the PC usb and share with Sonos. Since I have a laptop I dont want to keep enabling sharing and want all my music on a NAS. Is there an easy to set up inexpensive one you all reccomend? How would I transfer my sonos library to the NAS as well as ocassionally use the ipods to attach to the NAS

Crimson

Re: Sonos users, NAS input
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2008, 12:05 am »
I have no experience with Sonos but if it's DLNA-compliant make sure your NAS is DLNA-compliant also so that the Sonos system can see it. Buffalo and Infrant have models that qualify. Regarding your iPod, you'll still have to run itunes on a networked machine to access the NAS content (and only the Buffalo qualifies in this instance with a model that has iTunes preloaded, accessed as a shared resource).

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2008, 12:32 am »
Thank you! Let me ask is there such thing as a NAS interface that would not come with storage so I can hook up my external drives to it? Basically an interface with the drivers and computer stuff. I guess we are getting into territory were i should just buy an old PC and attach it to the network.

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2008, 02:14 pm »
Many of the pro-sumer NAS appliances are available without hard drives letting you choose your own, but they require internal drives. I remember seeing a device from Linksys a while back that let you attach up to two external drives via USB, but it didn't earn good reviews. Your idea of using an older computer is a good one (you don't need a lot of processing power or RAM in such an application).

Christof

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2008, 02:47 pm »
Would the Apple Time Capsule work as your NAS?