Gustard X20?

PeteG

Re: Gustard X20?
« Reply #160 on: 17 Apr 2016, 10:07 pm »
Got my X20u/U12 all set-up with about 200hrs on it, so far I like the U12>I2S>X20 more than X20 w/usb input.  Only mod is a HiFi Supreme fuse in both U12/X20. The sound I'm getting is way above its price, I'm very impressed with it. I did want to play dsd256/dsd512 using the U12 usb interface but using my mac mini I only can get dsd64/dsd128, I can use bootcamp/Win10/driver to get dsd512 to work but I'm happy so far, might look into it later. You know I have to throw-in a picture  :wink:

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017, 05:16 pm by PeteG »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #161 on: 17 Apr 2016, 10:26 pm »
...I may have to ground ship it to you if there is too little space.

Well Michael, if you're gonna do that you might as well start a tour. And if you're gonna start a tour you might as well send it to me.  :green:

I would take very good care of it and see how it compares to a Lampizator L4 and for fun I could get a SR Black fuse to put in it for yours to keep if you like it...just a thought. :shh:

ACHiPo

« Reply #162 on: 17 Apr 2016, 10:43 pm »
Well, mods are done (for now).  I finally made it to the hardware store to get nylon hardware, and used it to secure the toroids on top of cardboard spacers (replacing the coasters I had been using).  I've installed a HiFi Tuning Gold fuse, and gave all the contacts a swipe with Caig before reconnecting everything.  It's hard to see, but I was able to get 2-3 twists per inch even with the sleeve--it's quite loose and the wires can be twisted easily within the sleeve.

I picked up a Furutech IEC, but decided I am happy enough with the sound as it is to not risk making it worse with additional tweaks at this point.  The TWL power cords are sounding quite nice, and their burn-in process has been pretty enlightening for a skeptic like me--not only do they make a difference, but I could hear things get better, then worse, then finally significantly better over the course of 300 hours.  Pretty bizarre, and I still don't understand it, but I will be ordering a couple more PCs from Pete so all my audio gear has them.

ACHiPo

« Reply #163 on: 17 Apr 2016, 10:48 pm »
Got my X20u/U12 all set-up with about 200hrs on it, so far I like the U12>I2S>X20 more than X20 w/usb input.  Only mod is a HiFi Supreme fuse in both U12/X20. The sound I'm getting is way above its price, I'm very impressed with it. I did want to play dsd256/dsd512 using the U12 usb interface but using my mac mini I only can get dsd64/dsd128, I can use bootcamp/Win10/driver to get dsd512 to work but I'm happy so far, might look into it later. You know I have to throw-in a picture  :wink:

Looks nice Pete!

PeteG

« Reply #164 on: 17 Apr 2016, 11:00 pm »
Looks nice Pete!

AC, Thanks. Sounds nice too.

ACHiPo

« Reply #165 on: 17 Apr 2016, 11:05 pm »
I keep forgetting one other tweak--Daedelus Isolation Devices.  No idea what they do for the DAC as I've used them from the get-go, but they help with my tube amps.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #166 on: 17 Apr 2016, 11:10 pm »
I keep forgetting one other tweak--Daedelus Isolation Devices.  No idea what they do for the DAC as I've used them from the get-go, but they help with my tube amps.

When I was at RMAF last year Lou had a little demo with his DID's and the only piece he placed them under was the dac. I could hear an instant improvement in clarity and focus. I'm sure it was Dan's dac but don't remember the model, or if it was tubed of not.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #167 on: 18 Apr 2016, 06:02 pm »
Been breaking in a Gustard X20U for about a week and so far have been pleasantly surprised.  Of course the only way to get to DSD 256/512 is for a DCC.  The problem for me is that the only option without getting phase inversion is to go with the U12 DCC.  Not that the U12 is bad...just that there are more interesting options out there.

While I like the sound at DSD128, I bought the DAC with the intention of getting 256/512 out of it.  There is a DCC to be released in May that comes in at $300 with the F-1 XMOS USB Digital Interface Module XU208 U8 upgraded version.  I may contact them to see if they would consider adapting the I2s for the Gustard. 

Better yet, I wish someone could come up with a i2s cable or box that can be easily adapted.

Please correct me if I am wrong on the above statements.

Regards,

Randy

PeteG

« Reply #168 on: 18 Apr 2016, 07:37 pm »
Randy, thanks for the good info.

restrav

« Reply #169 on: 18 Apr 2016, 08:53 pm »
guys, im not sure i understand the tranny mod that you are talking about. first what is different in X20 and how the trannys are bolted to the chassis compared with other DACs? secondly how does removing the bolt and placing cardboard under it changes anything? I dont understand the rationale!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #170 on: 18 Apr 2016, 09:17 pm »
Help Isolate some of the AC stuff making a nice playing field for all.

ACHiPo

« Reply #171 on: 19 Apr 2016, 03:16 am »
guys, im not sure i understand the tranny mod that you are talking about. first what is different in X20 and how the trannys are bolted to the chassis compared with other DACs? secondly how does removing the bolt and placing cardboard under it changes anything? I dont understand the rationale!
We're following Ric Schultz's lead.  Twisting the wires makes perfect sense--it's standard practice for noise reduction.  As for eliminating the conductive bolt and raising the transformers off the chassis, I have no idea how or why those tweaks should work.  I honestly can't hear much difference--the fuse and PC seemed to have the biggest effect, and those were pretty subtle.

I figured I'd try anything that was reversible and safe.

ACHiPo

« Reply #172 on: 19 Apr 2016, 01:25 pm »
Just a quick listening update:  I was in the mood for a little Art Pepper this morning, so I selected "Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section" on the Aurender and went about my business of pulling a couple espresso shots, checking work email, etc.  I found it tough to concentrate, as the music kept pulling me in.  While not sounding particluarly "real" (as in I'm not in the studio and they're not in my office--I was listening nowhere close to live levels anyway), Philly Joe Jones' stick and brush work grabbed my attention and my toe was tappin'.

At this point I have no idea how much has to do with the DAC, the cabling, tweaks, or even the time of day or my frame of mind.  I do know, however, I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting.

quadman

« Reply #173 on: 20 Apr 2016, 08:36 pm »
I have now had my X20u for over 6 weeks and I wanted to update my experience with this vastly underrated DAC.  My X20u is no longer stock as I have performed almost all of the Mods Ric does in his level 1 mod package (tweakaudio.com) click on Gustard Mods.  Some of these mods are very easy to perform and just require opening the top and some common sense, others require a good soldering iron and good soldering skills and patience and will void your warranty, but really are you going to send this dac back to China to get repaired?  If you want to take this DAC to its highest level I suggest getting the level 1 Mod package.

Let me preface any further comments with how I listen to this DAC.  I built a dedicated windows 10 pro audio computer, with a small 120 Gb SSD for OS and audio programs, 8 Gb ram, and an i7-4790 processor.  The motherboard is a gigabyte H81n with a dac-up usb port.  My music is stored on an external USB attached HDD.  I use an AQ Jitterbug at the dac-up usb port and a modest usb cable from the jitterbug to an uptone regen at the dac input.  For audio programs I use Roon integrated with HQPlayer and Tidal.  I up sample all music signals to DSD128.  Looking forward to the day I can do DSD 256 and hopefully DSD512.

I am blessed to have a very high-resolution stereo playback system.  Both Vinyl and digital based.  The TT is a well-known English table with a $5K cartridge.  I have been a friend with Wally, from Wally set up tools for over 25 years and I am highly skilled in TT and cartridge set up.  My vinyl is very good.  Digital is as described above.  Speakers are actually designed by Wally with input from many very knowledgeable engineers.  They use Audio technology drivers and Raal ribbon tweeter.  They can extend down to 20Hz and are very transparent.  My amps are the wonderful Wyetech 211C, single ended and capable of 18 watts per channel with 70-watt peaks.  The speakers are very amp friendly and we run only the mids and tweeter with the SE amp, the bass is handled by a 250 watt custom SS amp, we also EQ only the bass signal.  I have been an audiophile for over 25 years with many systems and rooms over the years; this is not my first rodeo.

I apologize for the long preamble, but felt it necessary to back up what I am about to say and so you can understand how I run this dac.  This DAC in its level 1 modification state is a paradigm shift in my listening experiences.  I now experience music at a level, I previously thought took mid 6 figures.  The transparency, layering of information, palpable presence of ALL performers, geometrical size of sound stage (both width and depth), tonality, dynamics, density of information… go down the check list are all there.  I performed the last of level 1 mod about 10 days ago and since all listening has left me gob smacked (love that word).  I hear everything; even that percussionist in the far back of the orchestra has a presence, depth and clarity that before were just a blend with the music.  A perfect example I was listening to a Sibelius Violin concerto, conducted by Walter Hendl with the Chicago symphony and Jascha Heifetz on Violin, this was a reference LP for me, one I have heard hundreds of times.  About half way thru a tympani comes in and with the LP you were clearly aware of it and its location.  The musician keeps striking the tympani softly as the movement progresses, on vinyl you heard the soft rumble of the tympani to the right and deep in the stage.  With the Gustard you are now aware of each soft strike of the mallet on the skin of the tympani and the expansion of air within the kettle; layers and layers of information.  My jaw dropped as I never heard that level of resolution and presence before thru any other system.  I hear the same type of effect on jazz, rock, blues what ever.  Musicians that before blended into the musical soundscape now had presence and body with precise location and clarity.  I now hear music in an entirely different way, paradigm shift.

Now I have not compared this dac to other mega or mid-priced dac’s as Knoxville has a very quiet audiophile group, if one at all.  Best I can do is compare it to my LP playback system and previous dac the NAD M51.  On poorer and older CD’s originals from the 80’s the LP still has a edge, but it is close.  On better digital recordings I have to give it to the DAC, soundstage size is superior, Transparency is superior, dynamics are superior, location within the sound field is superior and yes even tonality I give an edge to the DAC.

I have to ask myself, why am I shouting to the high heavens about a DAC made in China, that has no dealer network or support for in the USA.  I guess it comes down to value and bang for the buck and my excitement about its performance.  This dac proved to be a paradigm shift for me, yet because of it’s price it will NOT be taken seriously by audiophiles.  How could it possibly be as good as the Vega, yggy, PS Audio Direct Stream on and on….. without comparing I don’t know, except no other audio product in my 25+ years and trade shows have shifted my perception on music playback like this piece does.  I believe Marty when he did his mini dac shootout and called the Gustard (and this is stock) the best and that the Vega just missed the little details.  The Gustard does not miss the little details.

My next step is to try to get up to DSD512 and that new F1 card based on the new Xmos xCORE200 series chip that has been released sounds very promising.  There is supposed to be an all in one DDC coming out in May based on this card that may give the Gustard a chance to play DSD512 via I2S with a board that is SOTA.  I can’t wait to see where this goes.  Then we can go play with the T&A Dac 8 DSD and see where the Gustard stands.  It is WAY above its price point.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2016, 04:38 pm by quadman »

nc42acc

« Reply #174 on: 20 Apr 2016, 10:28 pm »
I am glad the Gustard has been a positive experience. I have to give the credit to Stuart over at Head-Fi.org for his review that sparked my interest. He was dead on with his assessment.

Marty

ACHiPo

« Reply #175 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:28 pm »
I am glad the Gustard has been a positive experience. I have to give the credit to Stuart over at Head-Fi.org for his review that sparked my interest. He was dead on with his assessment.

Marty
Marty,
Thank you for your advocacy.  I'm delighted with the purchase!
AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #176 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:29 pm »
Received an Uptone Amber Regen last night and installed it.  Not a night and day difference, and in fact I really can't hear a difference, but viscerally the music seems more engaging and pleasing.  Details jump out, grab your hand, and twirl you around.  Yeah baby!

quadman

« Reply #177 on: 21 Apr 2016, 02:02 pm »
Received an Uptone Amber Regen last night and installed it.  Not a night and day difference, and in fact I really can't hear a difference, but viscerally the music seems more engaging and pleasing.  Details jump out, grab your hand, and twirl you around.  Yeah baby!

Leave it in for a week or 2 then take it out and see the effect on the music.  Your description tells us there was a nice difference.  I almost cried when I had to take it out of my system due to a failure of the regen.  That was back when the macbook air was my audio pc and NAD was my dac.  I was shocked how thin the sound became.

PeteG

« Reply #178 on: 23 Apr 2016, 03:26 am »
Has anyone used an Intona USB isolator with the X20? Also I wonder if Gustard will come out with a new USB XMOS XU208 digital interface (U20).

sruffle

« Reply #179 on: 24 Apr 2016, 01:23 pm »
I have this DAC and sent it to Ric Schultz for the Level 1 mods.  He has had it for a couple weeks now so I should be getting it back soon.  I will post impressions  of the upgrade and sound in comparison to my current NAD M51 DAC. 

My system includes a MacMini running Audirvana Plus.  At some point this Summer, I will try another type of server.  A couple questions I have are:

1) Do users find a noticeable difference playing PCM versus DSD on this DAC?
2) To play DSD, do you need to download drivers on the DAC? 

I have no DSD files and am completely clueless on it.  The hype on Computer Audiophile about HQPlayer is intriguing but it seems like it takes some computing power to use it well.  For what it's worth, I am currently using the Gustard U12 converter so it seems like I wouldn't have to worry about the phase inversion issue if Intried to play DSD through it.