Gustard X20?

Ric Schultz

Re: Gustard X20?
« Reply #140 on: 2 Apr 2016, 09:56 pm »
Rubber under the trannies will sound rubbery.  I recommend double cardboard or one half inch thick plywood or other wood with hole in middle to compensate for the nipple in the chassis.  Fuse bypassed or super sounding Audiophile fuse will take it up another level.  I would remove the non shrunk heatshrink tubing on the wires that get twisted, as I bet it degrades the sound.  Of course, once you remove the sleeving then it can never look totally "stock" if you put it back to stock.  But, no one who bought it would look inside and if they did it still looks great.

ACHiPo

« Reply #141 on: 2 Apr 2016, 10:28 pm »
Rubber under the trannies will sound rubbery.  I recommend double cardboard or one half inch thick plywood or other wood with hole in middle to compensate for the nipple in the chassis.  Fuse bypassed or super sounding Audiophile fuse will take it up another level.  I would remove the non shrunk heatshrink tubing on the wires that get twisted, as I bet it degrades the sound.  Of course, once you remove the sleeving then it can never look totally "stock" if you put it back to stock.  But, no one who bought it would look inside and if they did it still looks great.
Ric,
The sheet metal inside the chassis has some pretty sharp corners, so I decided it was best to leave the sleeves around the power supply wires.  Given the torroids are potted in "rubber", I'm not sure that an extra 1/8" of silicone from the coasters I repurposed does much one way or another.  Given claims of the benefits of pulling the steel bolts from the torroids, I figured it might be worth a shot to get the transformers up off the steel chassis.  Regardless I'm not hearing rubbery sound, so things are AOK. :thumb:

AC

Ric Schultz

« Reply #142 on: 3 Apr 2016, 12:31 am »
The transformers are not potted in rubber.  They are not "potted" at all.  Potting refers to sticking them in a pot and then filling the pot with epoxy, wax or other.  These are standard toroids....dipped in varnish, wrapped with clear plastic and then the center is filled with epoxy......unless you have something I don't.  Also, the chassis is not steel, it is aluminum, but it does help to raise the transformers off the chassis as the chassis is grounded.

I am glad you are enjoying the sound.
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2016, 05:53 am by Ric Schultz »

quadman

« Reply #143 on: 5 Apr 2016, 04:30 pm »
Ric,
The sheet metal inside the chassis has some pretty sharp corners, so I decided it was best to leave the sleeves around the power supply wires.  Given the torroids are potted in "rubber", I'm not sure that an extra 1/8" of silicone from the coasters I repurposed does much one way or another.  Given claims of the benefits of pulling the steel bolts from the torroids, I figured it might be worth a shot to get the transformers up off the steel chassis.  Regardless I'm not hearing rubbery sound, so things are AOK. :thumb:

AC

In regard to the sharp corners you could cut some strips of duck tape and cover those edges.  You need to make sure you get the AC wires (all 5 runs) twisted as tight as you can and still be able to connect to the respective points, I don't think that can be done with the shrink on.  The schurter fuse is a slight improvement over stock thats why I went with a copper foil bypass.  I have never had a fuse blow on a line level component in over 25 years, power amps are a totally other issue.  My wife reminded me that she has copper foil tape from her days when she did stained glass so if you want to try some PM me and we can arrange. 

I have now followed Ric deeper into the rabbit hole and have replaced the stock diodes on the output board and will soon solder in a custom made coax cable connecting the digital and analog boards. I wish I knew some audiophiles around the knoxville area so I/we could compare this dac to others that cost way more.  Based on the sound I am now getting out of this dac I imagine we have to go pretty high up the ladder to find it's master.

For anyone who wants to try the mods but have no skills/desire to do so themselves check out Ric's website tweakaudio.com he offers a level 1 mod package for just over $400.  Thats a big jump in sound quality and a total investment in under $1400 (dac + mods).  I hope I am allowed to say that.  It is a way for the average person to experience these changes, of course it will void your warranty.

Happy listening :thumb:

Be well

underdog64

« Reply #144 on: 5 Apr 2016, 07:06 pm »
Quadman-if you want to try some amazing products on the Gustard Alan Maher has a new line of products using Graphene (fuse wrap $15-20) and (chips  $35 for 5 to be placed on transformers etc).The chips blow away the the  WA quantum ones (I know I've had both throughout my system).Because they're Graphene based they take 60-200 hours  to burn in.But once they do -WOW!

quadman

« Reply #145 on: 5 Apr 2016, 10:54 pm »
Quadman-if you want to try some amazing products on the Gustard Alan Maher has a new line of products using Graphene (fuse wrap $15-20) and (chips  $35 for 5 to be placed on transformers etc).The chips blow away the the  WA quantum ones (I know I've had both throughout my system).Because they're Graphene based they take 60-200 hours  to burn in.But once they do -WOW!

Never heard of him so I googled him and.... quite a strange website with almost no useful information and could find nothing on the graphene stuff, what the heck is it?

underdog64

« Reply #146 on: 5 Apr 2016, 11:48 pm »
Basically they're  slighly smaller than a postage stamp and work VERY well on electrical panel breakers ,transformers,circuit board open traces near power supply etc.i think they work by lowering  impedance but I'm not sure.They DO work very well-probably the most effective DIY product for the price I've ever come across

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #147 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:11 am »
Can some kind soul email me the darn manual.  I have tried the links provided and they just say I have come late to the party.  Can't find any manuals.  If you PM me I can provide you with my email address.  Thanks in advance!!

I just received the Gustard and hooked it up via USB to my CAPS server.  I downloaded the xmos stereo usb class 2 driver off the cd that came with the DAC.  The driver shows up in my Downloads folder.

However the driver is not showing up in HQ Player nor is the Gustard.  No problems with the Hugo that I am borrowing.  Both DAC and driver shows up.

Just discovered the remote did not come with a battery.   :evil:

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #148 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:18 am »
3 volt battery a CR2025 and the on off does not work or was it simply not programed.  My email is on the left.  There is some configuration needed for the Xmas.  Just don't go to xmos.com and download that one.  While it is sizeable it only allows you to write the code for your own Version . :scratch:

rklein

« Reply #149 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:29 am »
Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying the driver on the supplied CD is not the right driver?  I thought that I read that others have downloaded this driver and they were good to go.

Thanks for the info on the battery I need to get. :thumb:

aldcoll

« Reply #150 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:41 am »
I had to open the manual and do some configuration.   Worse part of that was in had to first, ask my wife to read me 5he manual.   And from there it went to @#$$÷#*  but the DAC worked.

Just remember to nod you head and use a different tone of voice and let her know it all due to her help :tempted:

ACHiPo

« Reply #151 on: 13 Apr 2016, 02:31 am »
Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying the driver on the supplied CD is not the right driver?  I thought that I read that others have downloaded this driver and they were good to go.

Thanks for the info on the battery I need to get. :thumb:
The XMOS driver from the CD worked for my Aurender (I didn't need it for my HAL MS3 from Foobar for some reason).  Of course MY remote came with a battery  :green:

Once you get through the birthing pains, you'll be quite happy I assure you.  I've got a Furutech IEC/fuse holder coming as well as a HiFi tuning fuse (and some copper foil just for giggles and grins).  The TWL power cord is still breaking in--things sound amazing, but no more amazing than before the PC.

*Scotty*

« Reply #152 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:03 am »
ACHiPo, which model of Aurender are you using? Any idea why the Gustard X20 works without  a driver installed in foobar? Also, are you using WASAPI to go out the door to to Gustard X20?
Scotty

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #153 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:08 am »
Well IIRC, I loaded the Gustard X20U DAC USB driver on the MS-3 before sending it to ACHiPo.

aldcoll

« Reply #154 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:13 am »
ACHiPo, which model of Aurender are you using? Any idea why the Gustard X20 works without  a driver installed in foobar? Also, are you using WASAPI to go out the door to to Gustard X20?
Scotty

Once the XMOS driver is selected as output from my PC any audio signal is sent to the DAC has been my experience.  I haven't head of WOOPSI till just now.

ACHiPo

« Reply #155 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:52 am »
Scotty
I have an S10 Aurender.  No idea why the S10 needs a driver while the HAL doesn't?  Of course, it coulda been Rich's doing?

rklein

« Reply #156 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:13 pm »
I had to open the manual and do some configuration.   Worse part of that was in had to first, ask my wife to read me 5he manual.   And from there it went to @#$$÷#*  but the DAC worked.

Just remember to nod you head and use a different tone of voice and let her know it all due to her help :tempted:

Thanks for emailing the manual!  I realized my mistake after reading it.  I just copied the driver file over to my downloads folder without actually opening it up and intalling the driver   :duh:

Music is flowing! :thumb:

Ain't computer audio great.  I can build a server but can't remember to actually install a driver correctly.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #157 on: 17 Apr 2016, 07:04 pm »
FINALLY, after buying my X20 two months ago and having it shipped to Alcoll's home (for his enjoyment - or was it torment?), I got to hear my Gustard with my amp and my speakers (and with his system, too).

I am not disappointed. I am very happy with my choice. The soundstage really opens up and everything just sounds so much better than my Cambridge Audio DacMagicPlus DAC.

I'll need more time to experiment, but my initial impression is that I prefer using my tube preamp with the DAC rather than using the digital preamp function in the Gustard. As I have time to pair with different amps, I may or may not change my mind-to be determined.

I have not experimented with different settings and likely will not for the foreseeable future because I will be traveling for the next few months.

Someday, I hope to compare the X20 with DACs that sell for >$2000 to gauge just how far it hits above its price point. For now, I'm delighted with the sound I get for my $800 investment.

Michael

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #158 on: 17 Apr 2016, 07:21 pm »
FINALLY, after buying my X20 two months ago and having it shipped to Alcoll's home (for his enjoyment - or was it torment?), I got to hear my Gustard with my amp and my speakers (and with his system, too).

I am not disappointed. I am very happy with my choice. The soundstage really opens up and everything just sounds so much better than my Cambridge Audio DacMagicPlus DAC.

I'll need more time to experiment, but my initial impression is that I prefer using my tube preamp with the DAC rather than using the digital preamp function in the Gustard. As I have time to pair with different amps, I may or may not change my mind-to be determined.

I have not experimented with different settings and likely will not for the foreseeable future because I will be traveling for the next few months.

Someday, I hope to compare the X20 with DACs that sell for >$2000 to gauge just how far it hits above its price point. For now, I'm delighted with the sound I get for my $800 investment.

Michael

If you do end up making it over here you can compare it to my Sony HAP, but because I have the HAP I have no reason for a server/streamer setup and so the computer side of my setup might not be totally ideal... but it should give a good idea.

It sounds like the X20 should be comparable if not a little better!  :)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #159 on: 17 Apr 2016, 09:45 pm »
Dave,

Now that we are back home, my wife and I have begun taking a hard look at available cargo space in my Tacoma vs. what our imaginations had conjured. I may have to ground ship it to you if there is too little space.