Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions hi rez

rofo

Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions hi rez
« on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:35 pm »
Could anyone direct me to a hi rez version of the Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions hi rez
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2011, 05:57 pm »
It's because there are none (there are not hirez versions of every album). 

They recorded a follow-up, Trinity Revisited, which is very very good but different, more updated (Alan's bass is huge and great on this) and not intended to be a do-over.  It was recorded in 24/48 and can be ripped from the enclosed DVD 9the video is very good and the surround mix is nice and follows the video with musician placement in a circle).

Any 24/96 Trinity Sessions out there is either a vinyl rip or an upsampled faux ripoff.

wywires

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2011, 06:07 pm »
I have it on 180 gram vinyl...Great album!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2011, 06:32 pm »
I have it on 180 gram vinyl...Great album!

As do I.  It's one of my all-time faves.  Saw Margo and her brothers a few times, most recently at Kent State Univ 18 months ago.  Great concert.

rofo

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2011, 07:07 pm »
Any 24/96 Trinity Sessions out there is either a vinyl rip or an upsampled faux ripoff.

Since it was released in '88 I wasn't sure if it was an analogue recording in which case a digital copy could be made from the master tape, if it still exists.

thanks again

BobRex

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2011, 07:16 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Trinity Sessions was recorded digitally, but I don't think the original tape was 24/96.  So where would a hi-rez version come from?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2011, 07:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Trinity Sessions was recorded digitally, but I don't think the original tape was 24/96.  So where would a hi-rez version come from?

It was recorded direct-to tape (R-DAT, probably 24/48)

Many hirez albums are sourced from analog original master tapes which are compressed less and overall better quality than the subsequent cd/redbook masters.  Then those master tapes are dumped to 24/192, etc.  Many HDAD and DVD-Audio classics are sourced this way, and are glorious (SACD's too except they are then transferred to DSD and unless you have a DSD-capable DAC you need to get back to PCM where it all began.....in other words, pick the DVD-A in these cases where both are available).

By the way, if anyone has the somewhat rare Japanese RCA R32p-1188 cd I'd love to borrow it.  Supposedly this version has incredible dynamics.

lofreek

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:23 pm »
DAT recorders in 1988 ran at 16/48 if you were lucky. Tascam and Pioneer 24 bit DAT recorders came much later. The beauty of this recording is not the bit rate, but the lack of processing and minimal number of microphones used.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2011, 01:51 pm »
Thanks.  Good to know about the DAT machines.  Junkies used a single Ambisonic mic for their first studio album, Whites Off Earth Now, and it is fantastic electric blues.  The SACD is very very good.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2011, 02:12 pm »
Speaking of DAT machines, owned a Sony 1000ES for quite a while (wife sold it while I was deployed in 1997 or 1998 for the grand total of $50).  I bought it while stationed in Japan in 1989 or so.  Used to record "rip if you will" all of my CDs for playback...it sounded much better than spinning the disc itself.  It was a 16/48 record machine, but could playback 32, 44.1, 48.

lofreek

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2011, 02:22 pm »
Boy did I hate DAT machines. Fragile, couldn't edit.  :duh:  When the Akai DR4D came out and the studio I worked at purchased one, I rejoiced. I could edit again! This of course predated the use of PCs for audio.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #11 on: 7 Sep 2011, 08:32 pm »
While there is no Hi-Rez version, the standard disc should include surround information: It is a UHJ-encoded Ambisonic recording. All you need is $5-10K worth of Ambisonic decoder gear...

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 7 Sep 2011, 08:41 pm »
While there is no Hi-Rez version, the standard disc should include surround information: It is a UHJ-encoded Ambisonic recording. All you need is $5-10K worth of Ambisonic decoder gear...

Mike, Margo has gone on record to say the album was never meant to be UHJ encoded, but claims that many of her Junkie fans love it on a simple surround decoder.  Never tried it.  The first album, Whites Off Earth now, has the surround decoded on the mch layer on the SACD, bu the effect is barely ambient.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #13 on: 7 Sep 2011, 09:19 pm »
IME the surround mix on Trinity Revisited DVD is much better than the SACD of Whites Off Earth Now. Although nice, it's much better from the 2-channel layer - great recording though.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2011, 12:59 am »
Mike, Margo has gone on record to say the album was never meant to be UHJ encoded, but claims that many of her Junkie fans love it on a simple surround decoder.  Never tried it.  The first album, Whites Off Earth now, has the surround decoded on the mch layer on the SACD, bu the effect is barely ambient.

Ted,

Interesting stuff. Never knew that UHJ wasn't intended for the Trinity record. I've never messed with the surround stuff on the Junkies records, just known about it. Thanks for the info.

jparkhur

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2011, 01:04 am »
This is a great albumn....  It rocks