DAC & Music Player Suggestions for new Server???

HPower

DAC & Music Player Suggestions for new Server???
« on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:14 pm »
Hey Guys,

This is a copy from a thread that I just started at the Apple Core board, but thought I might get some additional thoughts here...

I finally got the Mac Mini server put together…

•   2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
   •   4GB memory
   •   500GB hard drive1
   •   Intel HD Graphics 3000
   •   OS X Mountain Lion
   •   iTunes 11

Upgrades and add ons:

• Apple Super Drive
   • Mercury Extreme Pro 6G, 120gb… added to OEM drive via "data doubler" kit.
   • 16GB RAM
   • 2 External HDs… 2TB Mercury Elite Pro Firewire 800
   • 20" Acer monitor… will be used just for a service monitor, will be using iPhone or iPad with the "Remote" app to run things.

So far I have ripped about 6 CDs to iTunes as AIFF files just to see how things work.
I cannot believe how nice this is functionally.  :thumb: :thumb:
Can't wait to fill the library up… all at the touch of a finger... way convenient!!!

I am running a mini headphone jack to stereo RCAs and I am getting a noticeable hum through speakers, ground loop type hum sound.
It seems to have something to do with the Monitor, when I power off the Monitor the hum "almost" all goes away???
If the Monitor is the source of the noise, not a problem as I will just disconnect it except when I have to do servicing.

I have not decided on a DAC or Music Player yet, although I am leaning to the John Kenny JKDAC32 for the DAC.

Are there any John Kenny DAC users out there?
What Music Players work best with Kenny DACs?
What file formats would you recommend?

I am just getting started, I have about 1500 CDs.
And about 160GBs of downloaded music (sitting on family iMac desktop, not in iTunes), most of which is FLAC
and about half of that is hi res (24/96 and 24/192).

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: DAC & Music Player Suggestions for new Server???
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:23 pm »
There are many 24/192-capable DACs out there.  You'll likely want to go USB, not mini-headphone RCA, etc.  Also, iTunes is not a good ripper, overall.  Use DBPoweramp (on pc) or something like Max (others can chime in for Mac ripper).

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:45 pm »
As Ted has stated, there are many DACS out there to choose from that will Redbook and HiRez to 24/192.  Help us help you by providing us with some parameters.

What is your budget?  Is it etched in stone?  Can we go a bit over budget  :icon_lol:?
Do you need or want a Volume Control feature on the DAC?
Does the size of the DAC matter?
Do you care if the DAC comes in silver or black?
Are you planning to run USB (that is what I would do...) or SPDIF (coax) etc.

Regards,

Randy

HPower

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:58 pm »
Hey ted,

Ya, my intention is to go with a USB DAC and from my reading so far, I would probably go with the JKDAC32 if I had to by one today.
I was hoping to hear from some Kenny / Mac users to see what Player and File format was working best for them.

I would be happy to rip all my redbook CDs to AIFF to ensure they would work well out of the iTunes library but was hoping I could leave the 160GBs
of downloaded material in FLAC.
I believe both Pure Music and Audirvana Plus can play both AIFF and FLAC from the iTunes Library?

If it turns out that the downloaded files should go to AIFF, I do have MAX and have played with it enough to see how to honor the hi res while doing the conversion.

I had assumed iTunes would be fine for ripping all my Redbooks into the library, provided I used either AIFF or Apple Lossless?

HPower

« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2012, 07:12 pm »
Hi Randy,

Budget... I was hoping to keep it in the $500 - $700, 5 being "etched in stone" and 7 using the money stretcher  :o

Volume Control... I had not thought about that.
My amp is an Almarro A205A MkII, tube integrated with no remote.
Just playing with the Remote app the last few days, it was kind of nice being able to adjust the volume from my iPhone.

Size... In this case, "size" does not mater  :roll:

Black is ok, silver is cool also.

I figure USB to keep cost down.
That is why I am leaning toward the JKDAC32... USB A male to A female adapter from Mini to JKDAC32, RCA ICs to amp... done.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2012, 07:24 pm »
USB does not keep cost down (there are $15k USB DACs), but is great interface if done right.  John is likely to make a nice modded DAC, so your money there makes sense.   Volume controls are sticky subjects.  You turning down iTunes volume with Apple remote app (digital volume control) is probably lopping off several bits, so try not to do that too steeply.  All remote volume controls are not created equal.  Many better ones are analog, or are digital ones that are done at such a high resolution (say 32 bits) so as to allow for digital attenuation without dropping important music bits.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2012, 07:42 pm »
The Mytek 192 would offer volume control but is outside your budget. But the Mytek 92 is close. Perhaps Ted has an opinion.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:02 pm »
The Mytek 192 would offer volume control but is outside your budget. But the Mytek 92 is close. Perhaps Ted has an opinion.

Mytek 96 you mean?  I've not heard it.  it's a bit long in the tooth now.  The 192 DSD is QUITE a bit more DAC, and newer ideas and technology.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:22 pm »
The iTunes volume control is a dithered 24-bit control, but even when playing 16-bit files (which should leave 8 bits or 48dB of possible attenuation), I still hear a loss of dynamics and punch when compared to setting it at 100% and using my analog volume control.

However, the majority of users of the Pure Music player (for Mac) addition to iTunes feel its digital volume control implementation is superior and much closer to an analog control. 

Steve

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:32 pm »
The iTunes volume control is a dithered 24-bit control, but even when playing 16-bit files (which should leave 8 bits or 48dB of possible attenuation), I still hear a loss of dynamics and punch when compared to setting it at 100% and using my analog volume control.

However, the majority of users of the Pure Music player (for Mac) addition to iTunes feel its digital volume control implementation is superior and much closer to an analog control. 

Steve

Agreed Steve.  Rob's volume control in PM is good.  It's the iTunes one I was making sure HPower was aware of.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2012, 08:33 pm »
If $500 is the budget you might want to check out this DAC:

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=7

The Bi-Frost can do hirez up to 192 via USB.  No remote but neither does the JKDAC32.  Just control the volume via your Almarro integrated.

These look interesting in your price range... and comes with a remote.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/x-series/products/xda2

I can't speak to the SQ of either the Bi-Frost or the Emotiva but I am sure you can find ample reading material online.  And don't forget...if its on the Internet, it has to be true...

Bonjour,

Randy

wisnon

« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:12 pm »
Hi Randy,

Budget... I was hoping to keep it in the $500 - $700, 5 being "etched in stone" and 7 using the money stretcher  :o

Volume Control... I had not thought about that.
My amp is an Almarro A205A MkII, tube integrated with no remote.
Just playing with the Remote app the last few days, it was kind of nice being able to adjust the volume from my iPhone.

Size... In this case, "size" does not mater  :roll:

Black is ok, silver is cool also.

I figure USB to keep cost down.
That is why I am leaning toward the JKDAC32... USB A male to A female adapter from Mini to JKDAC32, RCA ICs to amp... done.

Based on the buzz I am hearing, you may just want to get an iFI audio iDac and iUSB power hub for $500 TOTAL and call it a wrap. The feedback coming thru is astounding for this price range and based on my pals feedback on the iPhono phono stage for $400, it is a MUST audition in this category. My pal has a $5000 tube Dac but still bought the iDac+IUsb combo ( as well as a 2nd iPhono) to see what else iFI audio can astound him with!! He swears that they will raise the iPhono price when they come to their senses. LoL

See quote below:
"I followed up on your mention of the ifi products and did some checking.

The result is that I bought the i-phono. It arrived last Friday and, cold out of the box, it was unimaginably better than any phono stage I’ve ever had.

I exchanged a series of e-mails with Vince Luke at AMR regarding my assessment. I had met Vince and Thorsten when they visited the Boston area several years ago and was fortunate enough to have lunch with them and then talk for several hours. Thorsten is the engineer at AMR; Vince is the marketer.

This thing is truly amazing and brings LP significantly past my current CD replay. It is the only phono stage I’ve ever heard which is dead silent.

I’ve been using my $5000.00 Auditorium 23 T-1 Homage step-up transformer for a number of years now. This allows me to connect my Miyajima Shilabe MC cartridge (< 0.3 mv output) to the MM inputs of a preamp and only apply 40 dB of gain. Despite doing this, background phono noise has always been vastly noisier than that of CD.

Now, I can run the Shilabe directly into the i-phono, apply 66 dB of gain, and get a background noise level which is the same as the background noise level of my CD inputs!!! No analog guy, including me, would ever believe that without hearing (or not hearing) it. Even then, it still seems impossible.

Extreme transparency, thunderous dynamics, unmatched timbre, positively spooky imaging and spatial cues, etc. etc.!!! I could go on and on but you get the idea. All of this for less than $400.00 is incomprehensible. Anybody making and selling phono stages should be afraid; very, very, afraid.

For reference: My Shindo Vosne-Romanee with the Homage T-1 step-up together retail for over $25.000.00. The i-phono plus W4S STP-SE retail for less than $$2400.00. How’s that?? Less than one tenth the price and unimaginably, pricelessly better!!

It’s so good I ordered another one before they come to their senses price / performance-wise. In addition, I got an i-USB and an i-DAC at, I think, ~$300 each."

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2012, 01:10 am »
+1 on the Bifrost. I have one and think very highly of it. I also have a Benchmark USB DAC1 that is superb, but it cost x3 of the Schiit Audio. The Bifrost is very nice for the lower range category and can be upgraded later.