What pedals are you using?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
What pedals are you using?
« on: 19 Jan 2019, 02:20 am »
Looking at pedals tonight and trying to cover those needs we all have.
So far what I'm using:
Fulltone OCD
Boss blues driver
EH Soul Food
Donner Compressor
Voodoo Octave Fuzz
Zoom G! loop
MXR M169 Delay
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

So what are you using?

drphoto

Re: What pedals are you using?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2019, 09:43 pm »
Hey Bob,

Into front end:

Boss NS-2 noise suppressor (I play singe coil guitars)
Boss CS-3 compressor
Fultone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
(at some some point I might add a modded Boss DS-1 if the mod works)

Into fx loop:
Danelectro digital delay
Line 6 M5
will be adding a Boss DM-2w analog delay

At some point I may get another M5 w/ expression pedal to put into front end to use for tuner/volume/filter fx (ie: wah or whammy)

The delay and modulation fx of the M5 are superb. Not tested the filters. The OD/dist. are pretty lame. But for what does work it's a screaming bargain. It does a very impressive analog delay sim (my fav fx) and univibe (2nd fav)

All powered by small Voodoo Lab linear PS

feeding a Mesa Subway Blues combo amp.

BTW: the 2 best upgrades I did this year were the PS and the noise suppressor. I was using a cheap switching daisy chain one-spot but the voodoo lab got rid of a lot of noise and, maybe placebo effect but I think the pedals sound better. The Boss noise suppressor is a gate, which most people hate, but it has a 'soft knee' and once you dial in the setting it kills the hum but is not intrusive. And doesn't seem to color the sound in a negative way. If you play softly, you can kinda hear it ramp up as you start to play harder, almost like using a volume pedal, but I've found I can actually use that to my advantage, rather than fight it......dunno if that makes sense.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2019, 11:35 pm »
You have some nice pedals.
Good tip on the power supply.. I'm also using the Voodoo Lab linear PS.
I would be interested in how you like Boss DM-2w.
I appreciate what you are saying about Boss noise suppressor.
While I haven't heard the Mesa amp you have I'll bet it sounds very good!

I have changed out a couple of pedals. Now using an MXR super Comp. Much better than the Donner.
Also replaced the  Zoom G1 loop pedal with an Electro-Harmonix 22500 dual stereo looper. Still learning how to use it. I'm planning to record directly to my tape machine for fun.

Thanks for sharing your setup!
Bob.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2019, 05:15 am »
Current pedalboard:

Paul Trombetta Minibone
Bearfoot FX Honey Bee
Origin Effects Cali76 Compact Deluxe
Rock Your Repaired Amp Klone
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner
Strymon Timeline
Source Audio Ventris Dual Reverb
Spaceman Effects Voyager Analog Tremolo
TC Electronics Ditto X2 Looper

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2019, 01:35 am »
Those Strymon pedals are fantastic, but way out of my price range. I love JHS stuff too. Josh the owner is one hell of a good guy and funny too. I follow his vlog. I'm basically a Boss guy because they offer decent performance for an affordable price and are built like tanks. While my good guitar is the '57 Strat reissue, the one that is my avatar, my daily practice guitar is an original Squire '51, that was recommended by a member on this forum years ago. It is all original, execept for upgraded nut. With a few hours of work dressing frets, it plays like a dream and sounds good too. I actually like the neck profile better than the Strat. (it's a little chunkier) Great guitars do not have to be expensive. I kinda want a tele, but if I buy another guitar anytime soon it will probably be a Danelectro, just because they look so cool.  My $30 Dano digital delay pedal is great!

I signed up for online lessons w/ Fender Play, as I realize I need to get more disciplined if I'm ever gonna get better, but as the photo biz went under durning the recession I now have to work a shitty job as a hospital pharmacy tech. After getting home I usually pick up the guitar and just noodle making up little melodies. Maybe I have to accept that's all it will ever be for me is a fun hobby. My real talent in music is running live FoH sound. I had 6 bands as clients at one time, now I'm down to one. A musician friend of mine originally hired me to run sound because of my involvement in high end audio......he knew I had the most important tool......a good set of ears.    Sorry to ramble!

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2019, 01:59 am »
Oh by the way Bob. I love my Mesa amp. It is a 20 watt, EL-84 10" combo with spring reverb. It is single channel, which is why I run the Fulltone OD pedal. It has been out of production for about 20 years.

I had previously bought a low watt combo tube amp that will remain nameless because of glowing online reviews. Got from eBay. when it arrived I played 3 or 4 notes and thought 'uh oh.....I just make a huge mistake'. I hated it, it was muddy and lifeless. Even tried to upgrade the speaker to no avail. Thinking it my be my crappy playing I had a pro musician friend (who is one of best guitarist I've ever heard) try it and he said....yeah.....It's crap. Took a huge loss on sale. So I went to Music Go Round, a chain used equipment retailer to try the Mesa. Again, 3 or 4 notes and I was like....This is my amp! (was also looking at a VHT, which is very good,) but I aways like Mesa, and it is handmade in the the US.

Only trust your own ears for your gear. Neil Finn is one of my all time favorite musicians. He plays through a Vox AC30, but that amp doesn't work for what I want as my sound.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2019, 02:46 am »
Ok due to getting some welcome financial news, I decided to treat myself to a few new pedals, I have 2 Line6 M5 coming (I killed the one I have by spilling beer on it........don't do that!) an expression pedal controller, and the Boss Waza analog delay. Also picked up some patch cables to route my Boss noise suppressor in a loop that effects only the front of amp, not the whole signal chain. I'm not gonna spring for a pedal base. I'm just gonna get a piece of plywood I don't gig...or will. I could have pedals loose on floor (like now)  but I want more organized.

I buy all my new gear from Sweetwater, as does pretty much every real musician I know in town. I am not affiliated with them in anyway. I just like the company.Focus on customer service.

I tried Reverb.....I got a decent, but not great deal on my Voodoo Lab PS. But I just went w/ new this time, as generally the prices on Reverb are high and the sellers wanna kill you on shipping.

so now the chain is guitar>M5 + pedal (Wha, volume, whammy and tuner) >Boss NS2 noise gate>Boss CS3 compressor>Fulltone drive. The fx loop will be Boss DM2W analog delay, danelectro FAB digital delay, and another M5 (now modulation fx)

As stated earlier, I bought a mod kit from Fommel to use on a Boss DS1 (which in stock form is one of the few Boss pedals I hate)

Or I may look for a fuzz face clone. As I think I mentioned, I'm not into heavy distortion, but times ya gotta have it.

My influences are more in the vain of Mark Knopfler, Larry Carlton or John Meyer. More 'edge of breakup' sound.

But then again I love stuff from STP and Rage, that is a lot more aggressive.

pursuitofnow

« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2019, 08:25 pm »
Check out some Rat type pedals. Great low gain and can give the heavy when you want it. Lot's of variations on the circuit out there and a great place to start for value is the https://www.basicaudio.net/pedal-details.php?pedal=25

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2019, 12:41 am »
Oh, I was checking out Rat pedals today. I think I need an intervention.  :cry: I also bought  a cheap eBay Pedaltrain clone.  So much for my DIY plan. I get I can just tell myself that intellectually, hobbies don't make much sense.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2019, 01:21 am »
Manlay Sound Ronno Bender (Tone Bender MKI clone), Vintage Pedal Works Dallas Rangemaster treble booster(kit version), EHX '74 Big Muff Pi, Burns Buzzaround clone, Dunlop Fuzzface and Rat.

Sound samples here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HollisAudioLabs