Introduction from Paul Speltz of ANTICABLES

Paul Speltz

• Industry Participant
  • AntiCables
    • anticables.com
Introduction from Paul Speltz of ANTICABLES
« on: 20 Oct 2018, 05:01 pm »

Even though my first product (the ZERO-Autoformers) was launched from an audio forum/message board website 17 years ago, because of their tendency of having a few non friendly participants, I have not been active on any of these types of sites for the past 15 years. Yet more recently, because of the good things I have heard about Audio Circle from my audio industry friends (Vinnie Rossi, Clayton Shaw, Jim Salk, Triode Pete, Frank Van Alstine), and my valued customers, I have decided to become active and help support the progress being made here.

As for my introduction, I think the best place for me to start is to simply answer the most popular question that I was asked at RMAF a few weeks ago...   "Why are you called the ANTICABLES ?"  I do recognize the name can be interpreted as being a bit contentious, so let me explain how it evolved.

ZERO-Autoformers:

As I mentioned, our first product was the ZERO-Autoformers, which when used with mono block amplifiers took the place of speaker cables. They were first introduced early 2001. The “ZEROs” were used to increase the impedance of any speaker, so it would be “easier” for an amplifier to drive.

The autoformer itself, from the beginning, was sonically very good. The weak link was the lead-out wires. The original PVC insulated tinned stranded copper lead-out wires were unresolving. The next attempt was teflon insulated silver plated copper stranded lead-out wires which were more resolving but had a "tissy" sonic signature. Determined to find a solution, I launched a serious wire investigation project and came up with a red coated solid copper lead-out wire that sounded neutral and transparent, with a very nice purity of tone. Problem solved. End of story...   so I thought.

Turns out, that third generation of lead-out wire was so good, it became its own product that I called "Anti-Cable Speaker Wires".  I named them this because the un-jacketed red coated wire didn't look like, cost like, or sound like typical speaker cables. Also, since "cable" is wire with thick jacketing, and since our wire didn't use thick jacketing, they are not cables, so the name "Anti-Cables" seemed appropriate.

ZERO-Boxes:

I should explain. The ZERO-Autoformers also come in a beautiful boxed version, the ZERO-Boxes, that required a set of jumpers. The jumpers were made from the same improved lead-out wire used on the autoformer. Customers started recognizing how good the red coated wire jumpers sounded and started asking me to make them 8 and 10 foot long sets to use in place of their speaker cables. After getting numerous reports back from these guys stating how much better the red coated solid wire sounded than their multi thousand dollar speaker cables, I decided to make cables with them. Well...

Every attempt at dressing up my good sounding wire with jacketing (so it would looked like speaker cable), made it sounded like a speaker cable. Jacketing causes dielectric effect distortion that time smears the music signal and makes cables sound like cables. I decided to give up jacketing, call them the "Anti-Cables", and sell them in their naked form. The product became so popular, and won so many Editors' Choice Awards, that ANTICABLES eventually became the brand name of the business.

The Cable Business:

I did not originally attempt to get into the cables business, I was only trying to solve a sonic weakness of my single autoformer product, and I ended up getting drawn into the cable business. (pun intended)

Even though the red coated wire has gone through close to a dozen sonic improvements over the years, it still looks very much like the original version. I find it fascinating how much sonic differences can be heard between two nearly identical looking pieces of wire because of variables such as purity, the drawing process, directionality, dielectric material, etc. and I look forward to discussing topics such as this on an ANTICABLES Audio Circle.

Thank you for the opportunity to post my introduction. Looking forward to becoming a Site Sponsor.

Paul Speltz 

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Introduction from Paul Speltz of ANTICABLES
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2018, 05:11 pm »
Welcome Paul!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2018, 02:42 am »
Welcome aboard Paul, I glad you decide to join us :thumb:
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2018, 04:07 am by FullRangeMan »

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2018, 04:01 am »
Hi Paul.  I purchased a pair of your autoformers abt 15 years ago.  I sold them later, but now have a pair of your new models in my closet just in case I find I need them.  I make my own cables or else I'd no doubt have some of yours.  Glad to see you here at AudioCircle.  I have yet to run into any of the jerky guys here that originally scared you off from these type of sites.  Of course that probably means I am the jerky guy here.  :D

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2018, 12:48 pm »
Welcome Paul.  The sole reason for the civility of this site is the man at the top, JohnR.  He's a bit cantankerous and doesn't suffer fools, or trolls, lightly.  The culture of common decency and respect for others permiates down through the admins and facilitators (moderators) making it a unique site on the web.  We have arguments, sometimes heated, but always about an issue, it's never allowed to be personal.  Looking forward to your circle.

nc42acc

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2018, 03:37 pm »
Hey Paul welcome to the Circle. I have wanted to try your cables for a few years now. Any special AC promotions you would to offer to get product out to the members? Thanks for you participation.

fredgarvin

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:11 pm »
Welcome again.

Paul Speltz

• Industry Participant
  • AntiCables
    • anticables.com
« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2018, 01:55 am »
Thanks for all the welcomes.

My biggest concern now is finding the time to keep up with replies in a timely manner.

Moments after posting this Starting Block Post, I realized that since I am in the industry and am looking to sponsor an ANTICABLES Circle, that I was suppose to post this in the Commercial Introductions.  I did so hoping a moderator would notice my mistake and remove this one.  I guess that didn't happen.

As for promotions, here is a free shipping code that anyone can use when they place their order on our website: FREE2SHIP

That is all for now. I'm going to jump back on to my Commercial Introductions thread and see if I can catch up with those guys.

Thanks again!

: )

Paul

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2018, 01:58 am »
Hi Paul,
I will PM you.

Paul Speltz

• Industry Participant
  • AntiCables
    • anticables.com
« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2018, 11:33 am »
FullRangeMan,

I didn't get a personal message from you...   ???

If sending me a personal message requires a smartphone, I need to let you know that I don't have one.

Instead, please email me at:  paul@anticables.com

Thanks!

Paul

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2018, 03:42 pm »
Gee, Paul, when will see the usual 95% off introductory sale for new vendors?   :icon_lol:

I also have no smartphone.  I don't want anything that is smarter than I am.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2018, 05:14 pm »
FullRangeMan,

I didn't get a personal message from you...   ???

If sending me a personal message requires a smartphone, I need to let you know that I don't have one.

Instead, please email me at:   
Thanks!

Paul
Sorry Paul for this, I cant imagine what happen. Please if you can send PM contact our admin JohnR on become a sponsor.

Your MyMessages menu at top of the page dont show anything?
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2018, 12:38 am by FullRangeMan »