Onkyo Receivers

witchdoctor

Onkyo Receivers
« on: 22 Feb 2020, 04:54 pm »
I have only used separates for around 20 years. Recently I upgraded to a 4K TV in the man cave so I ditched the non 4K separates I was using and went for an inexpensive receiver, the Onkyo TX-RZ630 9 channel Network model. This is a secondary system in a small room and I shopped and set expectations accordingly, cost about $350. I noticed that after about 50 hours this receiver has really opened up and sounds WAY better than I would have ever expected. The Accu-EQ room correction does a good job but I did need to fine tune the bass settings just a bit. I found it a little too prominent for a small room. The networking features are amazing,it does Tidal, Amazon Music, Deezer, and some others. It has 3 options for whole house audio including Sonos and DTS-Playfi. It is capable of 3 zones and it does HDR and Dolby Vision on the video side. $350?? Are you kidding me? I wonder what there $1000+ receivers are like.

https://www.onkyousa.com/product/tx-rz630/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Onkyo Receivers
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:14 pm »
I notice that the modern day receivers sound much better than they have in the past.  I bought a Denon for my Dad's HT setup recently and its quite a step up over what I remember from 10 years ago when I last shopped for them.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:38 pm »
To play the streaming services does it have an Onkyo player app that acts as client for all those streaming services?

gab

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:52 pm »
I notice that the modern day receivers sound much better than they have in the past.  I bought a Denon for my Dad's HT setup recently and its quite a step up over what I remember from 10 years ago when I last shopped for them.

The folks over here would beg to differ:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-are-modern-av-receivers-so-terrible.11482/

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2020, 10:18 pm »
My dad uses an Onkyo Receiver (TX-8270) and i think it sounds pretty great! (Tho his speakers hold it back imo, Tho i think it helps that it's not a bottom-shelf item that tries to do everything while also being for 9.1 surround etc.. his is only 2.1 and i think that helps a lot. It does offer Bluetooth and Phono inputs while also allowing for HDMI switching passthrough.
And since most of its output is dedicated to only 2 channel audio, it gives plenty of clean power, and doesn't have to compromise as heavily on the DAC like many cheaper models would.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2020, 11:38 pm »

First of all congratulations buying an Onkyo home theater receiver. I have a TX-SR674 Ontyo receiver.
    Brand new in 2007 still going strong 13 years later. I don't think I'll replace it any time soon. If I do
    it will be another Onkyo.

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:44 am »
To play the streaming services does it have an Onkyo player app that acts as client for all those streaming services?

You can access most of the services either from the remote control or from the app. The exception is Amazon music which is only available via the app.

witchdoctor

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:51 am »
    First of all congratulations buying an Onkyo home theater receiver. I have a TX-SR674 Ontyo receiver.
    Brand new in 2007 still going strong 13 years later. I don't think I'll replace it any time soon. If I do
    it will be another Onkyo.

Cheers
                                                             Charlie

I was sooo happy with the receiver I started exploring their other products. I wanted a network streamer but the one I was intersted was made for Japan and UK markets. Then I  read the reviews on their portable player the DP-X1 as I wanted an MQA capable streamer. Very good product. They used an Android OS so you are not limited in the apps you select. Proprietary apps like BluOs is like it or lump it basically. It has balanced out, plus a USB out to connect to a DAC. It sound much better as a streamer then the Bluesound Node and the bonus is it's portable as well.

cujobob

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2020, 01:42 pm »
Onkyo is unfortunately known for terrible QC. I wouldn't chance going that route myself.

Yamaha is probably the best receiver brand with regards to amplifier quality.

Denon is the best when it comes to room correction, but overrates their power quite a lot.

Pioneer used to be a bit light on the power, but their sound quality was superb (using chip amps). Their QC hasn't been great since their acquisition.

My vote would be to go with Yamaha due to their combined reliability and amplifier quality. I got a refurbished Costco model for mid $200 and it's been perfect. Denon, especially one with pre-outs, is also a great option because you can always add external amplifiers, but still get that great room correction and all of the streaming options.

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2020, 02:21 pm »
Don't forget Marantz.

stlrman

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2020, 02:53 pm »
I have one . It’s a freaking workhorse!!! Not a problem in 7 years . Plenty of power , great sounding !!

FireGuy

« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2020, 03:01 pm »

Denon is the best when it comes to room correction, but overrates their power quite a lot.

I've have nothing but Denon in my systems.  One (which is currently "garaged") has been going strong for 14 years.  The other in my dedicated space is six years strong.  Zero issues.  And yes, the auto room correction feature is spot on.  Regarding their overrated power... maybe similar to some speaker vendors who overrate the sensitivity number(s)?