"Not a Starter" SLR Gift Question

Maritan

Re: "Not a Starter" SLR Gift Question
« Reply #40 on: 7 Jun 2016, 04:55 pm »
John,
Thanks.  Obviously you're happy with the way the mirrorless cameras feel.  Your logic is one of the reasons I decided to buy the G12--highly portable, some tweakability with telephoto rings and filters, etc.  I took some great shots with it when I was in sub-Saharan Africa, although a few times I wished I had the reduced shutter lag of an SLR.
Evan

Evan - Comparing a Canon G12 non-interchangeable lens to a modern mirrorless is like comparing apples and flip flops. It doesn't make any sense.

Since two more people have chimed in about mirrorless, I'll give it one more shot. Olympus and Panasonic have come a long way since then. I have an Olympus, so I'll pitch Olympus again - An E-M5 MKII with a 12-40 f2.8 pro (24-80 EFL) and a 60mm f2.8 macro (120mm EFL) will get your daughter set up. You won't need a super heavy tripod for this gear.

In built focus bracketing and focus stacking will make macros a breeze.

Wild life that's not moving super fast - eg. swallows flitting around - mirrorless can handle just fine. But again, it's up to your daughter to tell you what she likes.

Maritan

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:00 pm »
Other than weight, what are the pro and cons comparing mirrorless with DSLR

Pros for mirrorless apart from weight? The weight advantage applies to Olympus and Panasonic only. Sony is a full frame mirrorless, so you need more (heavy) glass to cover the sensor circle. More often than not, fantastic quality and reasonably priced glass. Massive array of glass - both Panasonic and Olympus have so much quality glass it makes your head spin sometimes. Picture quality with the slightly older 16MP and newer 20MP sensors are sharp, with great colour and contrast. You can print them quite large.

Con for mirrorless - Continuous autofocus for fast moving animals. Not a problem if movement is relatively predictable. Several examples out there of fantastic captures. Battery life isn't great. Carry more batteries and you'll be ok.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #42 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:03 pm »

You won't need a super heavy tripod for this gear.

But again, it's up to your daughter to tell you what she likes.

No one needs a super heavy duty tripod these days.  Equipment is so light compared to the old days that a Bogen 1221 will do even for the biggest glass.  95% of what I shoot with the 600 is done with a monopod.

Like audio, we old farts are used to rugged stuff.  Frankly, the up and coming image experts are overwhelmingly female, and a bag filled with gear is a total turn-off to women.  Ain't gonna fly.

All of our ideas, DSLR, iPhone and mirrorless are valid.  To us.  But it's like us telling her what car to buy.  If it don't fit her likes, it's all just talk.  Get her to a nunnery B&M camera store and see what fits her hands.

PeteG

« Reply #43 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:15 pm »
I agree with Brick, take her to a good camera store and let her answer all your questions.

drewm

« Reply #44 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:19 pm »
I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something.  The 17-55mm f/2.8 image stabilization Canon lens I come up with when I Google is ~$750.  Is this the right lens, or is there another better version?

He was referring to the Nikon one here, as he shoots Nikon:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-s-dx-zoom-nikkor-17-55mm-f%252f2.8g-if-ed.html

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #45 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:39 pm »
Oh yeah, Best Buy is not a camera store..... :duh:

ACHiPo

« Reply #46 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:44 pm »
Evan - Comparing a Canon G12 non-interchangeable lens to a modern mirrorless is like comparing apples and flip flops. It doesn't make any sense.

Since two more people have chimed in about mirrorless, I'll give it one more shot. Olympus and Panasonic have come a long way since then. I have an Olympus, so I'll pitch Olympus again - An E-M5 MKII with a 12-40 f2.8 pro (24-80 EFL) and a 60mm f2.8 macro (120mm EFL) will get your daughter set up. You won't need a super heavy tripod for this gear.

In built focus bracketing and focus stacking will make macros a breeze.

Wild life that's not moving super fast - eg. swallows flitting around - mirrorless can handle just fine. But again, it's up to your daughter to tell you what she likes.
Got it.  I added it to the list for her to check out.

ACHiPo

« Reply #47 on: 7 Jun 2016, 05:46 pm »
Oh yeah, Best Buy is not a camera store..... :duh:
Yep.  I already clarified that to her :thumb:
The nunnery idea ain't bad, either!  :wink:
I checked out Glazer's online and it seems like a place that can help her figure out what she wants/needs.

Thanks again for all the guidance!

ACHiPo

« Reply #48 on: 7 Jun 2016, 10:51 pm »
She stopped by Glazer's this afternoon.  Other than being quite intimidated by the photo-speak, she was impressed with the store.  She did not like the mirrorless cameras.  She liked both the Canon 80D and Nikon 7200.  She really likes the idea of getting a kit so she can experiment and learn first hand before diving into serious glass, so we have a plan.  Now just need to make a final decision and plunk down the cash.  Thanks again for all the great advice!

audioguy213

« Reply #49 on: 7 Jun 2016, 11:14 pm »
Sounds like you have a great plan,

I am really happy for you.  You say it is a gift for her, but it will end up being a gift for you.

Those pictures you are going to get all the time are going to make Flagstaff and her feel a whole lot closer.

Encouraging your daughter to use her creative brain is actually a very poetic graduation present. Kudos to a great parent.

Start with the camera and your kit lens, don't let them talk you into extra batteries or filters or bags or tripods if you can avoid it.
Most of the ones they sell you on day 1 are  junk and the money is better spent in a month elsewhere.

For Memory cards Sandisk Extreme Proare great, 32GB is a nice size. One is enough.

This little guy is really useful for cleaning your camera by blowing air to remove dust from lenses or inside the body,
http://www.glazerscamera.com/photography/more-accessories/camera-care-cleaning-protection/rocket-blowers-7-5-mainandlgt

newzooreview

« Reply #50 on: 7 Jun 2016, 11:58 pm »
[nevermind should have read more of the thread; you covered my point  :thumb:]

ACHiPo

« Reply #51 on: 8 Jun 2016, 04:17 am »
Sounds like you have a great plan,

I am really happy for you.  You say it is a gift for her, but it will end up being a gift for you.

Those pictures you are going to get all the time are going to make Flagstaff and her feel a whole lot closer.

Encouraging your daughter to use her creative brain is actually a very poetic graduation present. Kudos to a great parent.

Audioguy,
Thank you!  I really appreciate your encouragement, and yes, my present isn't entirely selfless.  When my daughter was younger I cleaned up an old (but good) SLR for her, got her a book on photography, and a few rolls of black and white film (which is when I learned B&W is no longer the medium to start photography, as the development cost 3x color film processing) hoping to start something that could keep us connected.  She didn't gravitate toward it as I'd hoped, but obviously it made an impact, as several years later she took an interest in it, and in fact has a bit of a collection on photography equipment (she did, however, take a liking to golf, lettering all 4 years of high school, and I still love getting out on the course with her).  Anyway I'm delighted, not only to have my daughter graduate with a ChemE degree, but she also has appreciation for the arts, nature, and gadgets!
AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #52 on: 10 Jun 2016, 06:57 pm »
Darling daughter selected the Canon, so a big box with goodies is waiting for her to open at her graduation party.  I'm tossing in a few goodies I don't use like a POL filter, an IR filter, a macro flash, and a little hiking tripod.

Thansk again for all the input!

Here are a few pics from her hike to Goat Lake in Snoqualamie last Wed taken with the Fuji point and shoot...

PeteG

« Reply #53 on: 10 Jun 2016, 07:42 pm »
Awesome, a hobby that will last a lifetime.

Odal3

« Reply #54 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:41 pm »
 :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #55 on: 10 Jun 2016, 09:53 pm »
Awesome, a hobby that will last a lifetime.

Yeah.  Like audio.    :duh:

:lol:

ACHiPo

« Reply #56 on: 11 Jun 2016, 03:26 am »

ACHiPo

« Reply #57 on: 13 Jun 2016, 11:09 pm »
Epilog:  Darling daughter was delighted (how's that for alliteration?) with the camera kit.  Actually more like blown away, even though she knew I was getting it for her.  Scored major Dad points. :thumb:

I took a portrait of both girls and I've got to say it certainly feels good in the hands and has a tremendous feeling of quality about it.  Thanks again for all your advice!

PeteG

« Reply #58 on: 14 Jun 2016, 01:13 am »
Good to hear. I had the 70D for awhile mostly used for video, loved the swiveling LCD and touch-to-focus. Using a Sony 6300 for 4K video now.

ACHiPo

« Reply #59 on: 28 Jun 2016, 12:48 pm »
Update:  Darling daughter is off backpacking across Europe for a few weeks before starting her job in Flag.  She didn't take her new gear for security and practicality, but posted this shot taken in Amsterdam with her camera.  I was pretty impressed, but then again I'm more than a tad biased.  Thought I'd share...