BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« on: 24 Jul 2014, 03:49 pm »
HI Folks,

Not a week goes by that I do not get a request from a customer about where he can get a Bryston BCD-1 CD Player and I get chewed out for discontinuing ours.  I had no choice as the drive we used was a dedicated CD Drive (as opposed to a DVD Drive) and Phillips discontinued them.

Anyway I have found a new CD drive that performs very well and wanted to get an idea from our customers as to whether you think a dedicated CD Player from Bryston is a viable product given todays computer based options.

james

RDavidson

Re: BRYSTON CD PLAYER SURVEY
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2014, 04:10 pm »
What I'd like to see is a unit that does both. It can just play CD's AND has the ability to rip them to a hard drive library (if the user wishes to do so) and play them back from the library. That'd be fantastic!

Yes, a computer can do this, but I'd like to see a stand-alone audio-centric component that would sit on the same rack as other audio equipment. This is what is keeping me, personally, from really getting into computer audio. I don't want to deal with a computer and software issues etc. in my system. Until something like this comes along, my CD player will remain in my system.

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2014, 04:29 pm »
James,
               my opinion is that of an audiophile and also a Bryston dealer. I would like to see a new cd player from you. I think there is still a large number of audiophiles out there who do not want to get involved in playing their music from a hard drive. They want to drop their favorite cd in a drawer and let it play.

95Dyna

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2014, 05:12 pm »
+1.  Most of us out here don't want to have to hire an IT department just to listen to our music.  That's the thought I get when I follow the BDP-1/2 thread.  Most days it cures me of my temptation to dive into.

werd

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2014, 05:30 pm »
I will be looking for one to use in my Landau horse buggy.

Samurai7595

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2014, 05:40 pm »
James,
               my opinion is that of an audiophile and also a Bryston dealer. I would like to see a new cd player from you. I think there is still a large number of audiophiles out there who do not want to get involved in playing their music from a hard drive. They want to drop their favorite cd in a drawer and let it play.

+1  :thumb:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2014, 05:54 pm »
    As my name Redbook implies I am a dedicated player of CD records. I have no interest to use computers or the net as a source. The old idea of placing a disc on a machine has never lost it's appeal for me. I love my bcd1 (both of them) but a new player of equal or greater status would be a welcome idea for sure. Perhaps a new player could include the latest da section (with dual chips) and the ripping ability is good as well. Hopefully you will produce another great and timeless player.....and I will add it to my rack soon...............Redbook :thumb:

bjski

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2014, 06:05 pm »
James,
I would like to see something on the order of an Oppo 105. My son bought me a 192k blueray audio disc that I could only play it in my Denon blue ray player. I'm having a hard time trying to rip it so I can play it in my BDP. My BCD can't play it. I was hopping the BOT would be able to address these different formats.

Go for but include a few updates SACD, DVD-audio, ripping capabilities.

Dave Jameson

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2014, 06:28 pm »
I'll also chime in as a dealer and Bryston owner. CD players have popularity in some markets and next to zero presence in others. In parts of the world where internet access is limited but there is still a fair amount of wealth (parts of Brazil for instance), CD players are still dominant. In North America and most of Europe, it's primarily all network and computer playback with the exception of remote markets. So it's really a matter of economy of scale and only Bryston can determine a reasonable cost for such a device in lieu of this.

In my market, our customers tend to have a record player and modern digital front end. The one's that held on to their CD players (because they were initially sceptical of digital audio) ended up never again using them. Personally I'm quite happy to not use a CD player but I do have a fair amount of knowledge in computer audio and am therefore quite comfortable with it and all of it's unique problems :)

For what it's worth, a BDP unit is about the most flexible and easy to use digital player out there. Most of the issues you see in the forum are from users who are asking a great deal more of the BDP than Bryston originally intended. It's a flexible piece, for sure, but that also allows it to be quite simple in use.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2014, 07:07 pm »
I thought the plan was for a CD transport that would go into the BDP-2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2014, 07:59 pm »
I thought the plan was for a CD transport that would go into the BDP-2?

Hi

That is the BOT which we are still working on - this would be a stand alone CD Player.

james

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2014, 09:29 pm »
Like many participants in the Bryston forums, my music library is primarily CDs, and I would be very interested in a dedicated CD player. I'd planned to get the BCD-1 until our kids made a withdrawal from the Bank of Mom & Dad. I've been using an Oppo BDP-105, which is a fine A/V Swiss army knife, but a Bryston-quality dedicated player would be a no-brainer investment. If the BOT-1 comes to fruition, I'd still buy a Bryston CD player for my office system.

My wish list would include a DAC to stream files from my Macs and (though far less likely) the ability to play SACD and DVD-A discs.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

GT Audio Works

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2014, 09:55 pm »
HI Folks,

Not a week goes by that I do not get a request from a customer about where he can get a Bryston BCD-1 CD Player and I get chewed out for discontinuing ours.  I had no choice as the drive we used was a dedicated CD Drive (as opposed to a DVD Drive) and Phillips discontinued them.

Anyway I have found a new CD drive that performs very well and wanted to get an idea from our customers as to whether you think a dedicated CD Player from Bryston is a viable product given todays computer based options.

james

Well if it can replace my sometimes confused dddddddrive in my BCD-1 I would be happy...my cat decided to jump up on my equipment rack where the unit resided on some roller blocks...it went flying off the rack gouged my wall and crashed to the floor..it still plays buy once in a while it has a mental breakdown.

James Edward

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:13 am »
Yes I would call it a viable option. But I'm 54 and maybe a dinosaur. I belong to an audio club, and I've only once seen computer audio perform without a hitch. I'll stick with CD's for the time being. BTW, I currently own a BCD-1, and have been using it for 4 years. No hiccups with it, and I recently tried a number of DACs to see if I could improve the sound; they all went back.
Please only make the player if it will equal or top the BCD...

Chicago

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jul 2014, 12:32 am »
James,
I own a BCD-1 and I love it and I enjoy spinning discs.  I wish I had purchased two of them so I had a backup unit.  I fall into the category of not being so sure I want to dive into digital and if I make an addition it will probably be a turntable.  It would be comforting to know I can purchase another Bryston CD player.  I don't need the unit to do anything except play rebook and that might keep the cost down.  But it sure looks like others would like more options.  Maybe you could design it to be a basic redbook player with the ability to order it with the other options some would like.

Mike

1ZIP

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:30 am »
+1  :D I have been following the used BCD-1 market for the past couple of years.  They seem to get snapped up fairly quickly, especially the silver model, which says something about the popularity of the unit and the CD format.  I have a BCD-1 now, but would definitely add one to my second system to replace the Arcam 36.  Given that the engineering has already been accomplished I would think that only minor modifications would be needed to incorporate a new drive.

Regarding the computer systems, I've toyed with the idea of a BDP-2.  I'm sure it is a fine piece of gear and computer systems may be the future of music.  But frankly I don't need any more computer related hassles when all I want to do is spin a disc and let my Bryston gear deliver the sound I so enjoy.  I doubt if I'm in the minority, but then….

drummermitchell

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2014, 02:45 am »
Lets see,I had my BCD-1 for 5yrs without a problem and it's INSERT A DISC AND HIT PLAY.
That's too easy,now with a BDP-1 or 2 you have all kinds of BS just to maybe get the thing to play or call Chris so he can configure it so you can actually play a song.
Definate not for the plug and play crowd.
Then instead of having it plugged into the wall you should buy a power bar of sorts so you don't get the 09 code and have  to ship it back to bryston which friggin costs which they don't tell you(power bar) :roll:.
There's a lot going for a CDP,I have had my OPPO 95 ( for a few yrs and not one problem.
The BDP-2 you need all kinds of assistance to get it up and running and then a few external components just to make it work.
A friend of mine has the BDP-1 same friggin 09 problem,if CDP weren't goin bye bye I would stick with a CDP.
Perhaps bryston is in unknown territory where they are trying to catch up digitally(at least with the BDP's) and there are a lot of BUGS.
I mean really if OPPO can make a basically flawless CD/DVD player,and I have had the 83 SE and 95 and they both play flawless after all these yrs without a glitch,WTF is with the BDP.
Really with all these flaws it's not ready for consumers as all the bugs are not worked out and it is definitely not user friendly unless you like stress,disappointment ect and you are tech savy.
I really do like the sound and convenience of the BDP's,but all the FN errors and $2000 for a grief stricken player i BELIEVE FOR ERROR FREE AND RELIABILITY,my OPPO is superior.
Perhaps to many rods in the fire,gets frustrating when you want to really listen to you music with the BDP and it F's up.
Have had it for almost a yr and Life is to short to be disappointed over and over again,especially when it involves tech assistance all the friggin time.Its not the sound she produces its every time I run into a problem I have  to Fn call some one.
CDP,no techs JUST PLUG N PLAY...SIMPLE :o,to easy I guess.
At least I can use my OPPO to still play discs,where my bdp is sent back for repair,which will cost me a few hundred and then hopefully she'll run for 6 months .
I really wonder why if the digital cant be built more or less like some other companies,why bother until,
ALL THE BUGS ARE WORKED OUT.
Frustrating as hell,
Records and even CD's seem soooo simple,BUT THEY WORK,sometimes simple is better and even MORE RELIABLE.
that's my rant for the evening and I'm sure some won't like it,
We''ll as Travis Tritt sang,Here's a quarter,call someone who cares,
Time to spin some LP's :thumb:.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2014, 02:47 am »
James,
I own a BCD-1 and I love it and I enjoy spinning discs.  I wish I had purchased two of them so I had a backup unit.  I fall into the category of not being so sure I want to dive into digital and if I make an addition it will probably be a turntable.  It would be comforting to know I can purchase another Bryston CD player.  I don't need the unit to do anything except play rebook and that might keep the cost down.  But it sure looks like others would like more options.  Maybe you could design it to be a basic redbook player with the ability to order it with the other options some would like.

Mike     Exactly , I couldn't agree more.............. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jul 2014, 02:52 am »
  This is the first thing in a long time that has exited me. I have no use for the computer music approach to music listening. The idea of a new and evolutionary CD player is something that revives my interest in Bryston.

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jul 2014, 03:07 am »
My thoughts mimic so much of what has already been said. :thumb:  Personally, I simply prefer selecting and spinning both CD and Vinyl in my separate stereo area.  I have no plans for digital storage, hi-res files or streaming unless I'm forced to go that way.  I love my BCD-1 and had a moment of panic when they were discontinued as what would I do if mine was lost (a fire or stolen as I'm sure mine will last for a long time otherwise - being Bryston).

I'd be more than happy with a BDA-2 providing I at least had a Bryston CD transport so that the house sound was equivalent or better than my BCD-1.  I'm over previous CD players and don't want to experiment now I've found the sound I like.  If something goes wrong, I simply want to replace components without needing to trial alternatives to my existing components.  Incidentally, I still have friends that only have CDs so it's nice to have them drop by without having to copy and transfer files to a computer, BDP-2 or similar.  One day they might all come armed with thumb drives but not yet. :)